X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Lilac a carving wood

Humor Heals

Re: Is Lilac a carving wood

seal the ends so it dries slower and it may or may not crack...let it dry and take a knife to it!! That's one sure way to find out lol

Comment

Anything is carvable, look at those people that do marble and granite, and that idiot that posts here sometimes that carves elm :

Comment

Yeah it's carvable.it's hard . seal the ends like Hi Ho said. Take a wax toilet seal and heat it in a coffe can and dip the ends. It might be easier to power carve on it.
        macktruck
        Honey, Where are the band-aids, again?

Comment

Well after almost a month it hasn't checked but after I peeled the bark away, I still have paper thin strands of wood peeling down the length as it dries. I'm not sure if it will be workeable but it will be intetersting to watch the results. That sounds so sad but I really do have a life.
          Humor Heals

Comment

Funny you should post this question as I was given two pieces of Lilac by a friend of mine who had trimmed his tree. It was in really good shape and I was going to make hiking staffs out of it. Trouble was I peeled it and went back two days later and it had checked worse than any wood I have ever seen. So I guess I will do as the others say and seal the ends before I try the other piece. I agree it is beautiful wood inside too bad it checks so bad. Dont have to appolgize we know you have a life you are a woodcarver.
            Colin

Comment

I think you probably want to seal the ends and leave the bark on for awhile...maybe 6 months?...with the bark removed, doesn't help a lot to be sealed...allows the moisture to escape from the sides of the stick.

Comment

Let me know how yours turns out. I agree underneath that bark is a nice contrasting colored look that would look great naturally stained. I've never seen anything check like this, so my guess is that this is a stringy type of wood, but I can't figure out then how it could be so hard.

Ken
                Humor Heals

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X