Cypress???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cypress???

I bought a half dozen cypress knees on Ebay awhile back, I think they cost roughly $5 each and they were all peeled. Once I put a knife to the first one, I fell in love! Those knees where the lightest, nicest carving wood I have tried (mostly I carve hard wood I pickup back in the woods or the yard).

My big question: How is bald cypress for carving? The knees are great, but I don't believe I have read anyplace where anyone has mentioned carving cypress itself.

Anyone???????

Re: Cypress???

I've carved it and like it I've done several spoons out of it. it carves like walnut and alot easier to get( for me anyway I live in SE georgia it's everywhere)
    macktruck
    Honey, Where are the band-aids, again?

Comment

welll I posted, I thought, maybe I didn't hit the button? anyway, I have never carved cypress, but heard it is hard on the knives, is that true?

Comment

Thanks mactruck, I think I'll try to get some, I really like carving the knees.

Dave, the knees haven't hurt my knives or chisels a bit. They actually like the knees so much, they strop themselves when I turn out the lights

Comment

I accidently carved MY knee once. Once was a learning tool! :
          Safety first, then enjoy carving! Ken Caney, Ks

Comment

Hi Ho,
            I havn't found to bad on blades, i just strop a bit more.
            When a carving is first done it has a color like dark butter then ages to a nice golden brown tone. The grain is not very visible.
            macktruck
            Honey, Where are the band-aids, again?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• planeur
              Reply to My covid angel
              by planeur
              Rolf when you say taper from right to left, do you mean thinner near the body and thicker at the end of cloud as on the wing ?
              And on each cloud touching the body ?
              I had already sand some part , will show show soon!

Thanks

Yesterday, 09:22 PM
            • will8989
              Reply to Tough Decisions
              by will8989
              I did that with Creative Woodworks. But when Bruce's group had their monthly meetings and swaps, somehow or other the ones I didn't buy ended up here! I keep all my holiday ones separate. But I also look at other patterns and think how I can reuse it. But sometimes that is just too much for my brain...
              Yesterday, 12:27 PM
            • Don in Brooklin On
              Reply to Tough Decisions
              by Don in Brooklin On
              Since I refuse to subscribe till they do something about the patterns in the pull out. They even made the DVD tough to print patterns.

What I do is look at the index of the book on scrollsawer.com and if see something I might want to cut I go to Walmart and check out the book. If I like...
              Yesterday, 11:59 AM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              Reply to Tough Decisions
              by Linda In Phoenix
              Absolutely everyone here has made valid points. That's part of what I've liked about this group.....different view points and different ideas. And we respect the diversity. You people rock!
              Yesterday, 11:24 AM
            • NC Scroller
              Reply to Tough Decisions
              by NC Scroller
              I too miss Bob Duncan. I do not think anyone from FC has taken over that role at least on this forum. If they have I am not sure who. Like Betty, I owe a lot to FC and this forum. If it was not for them and this forum I would have probably turned my saw into a boat anchor years ago. Oh how I looked...
              Yesterday, 11:22 AM
            Working...
            X