Cypress???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cypress???

I bought a half dozen cypress knees on Ebay awhile back, I think they cost roughly $5 each and they were all peeled. Once I put a knife to the first one, I fell in love! Those knees where the lightest, nicest carving wood I have tried (mostly I carve hard wood I pickup back in the woods or the yard).

My big question: How is bald cypress for carving? The knees are great, but I don't believe I have read anyplace where anyone has mentioned carving cypress itself.

Anyone???????

Re: Cypress???

I've carved it and like it I've done several spoons out of it. it carves like walnut and alot easier to get( for me anyway I live in SE georgia it's everywhere)
    macktruck
    Honey, Where are the band-aids, again?

Comment

welll I posted, I thought, maybe I didn't hit the button? anyway, I have never carved cypress, but heard it is hard on the knives, is that true?

Comment

Thanks mactruck, I think I'll try to get some, I really like carving the knees.

Dave, the knees haven't hurt my knives or chisels a bit. They actually like the knees so much, they strop themselves when I turn out the lights

Comment

I accidently carved MY knee once. Once was a learning tool! :
          Safety first, then enjoy carving! Ken Caney, Ks

Comment

Hi Ho,
            I havn't found to bad on blades, i just strop a bit more.
            When a carving is first done it has a color like dark butter then ages to a nice golden brown tone. The grain is not very visible.
            macktruck
            Honey, Where are the band-aids, again?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
              Reply to Planer and jointer opinions wanted
              by will8989
              Our feed belt keeps moving but Bruce did adjust it the other day when I was done and this is the first time I’ve used it. It kept getting louder so I bet that’s it or it just isn’t tight. Will check it in the morning. Thanks.
              Yesterday, 11:26 PM
            • Rolf
              by Rolf
              Betty is the feed belt centered? Do you hear it when the drum is spinning or when just the feed belt is on?
              I have had the sanding belt stretch, they do that over time, and there was enough hanging out to just kiss the table.
              Yesterday, 03:30 PM
            • Bill Wilson
              Reply to Winter issue
              by Bill Wilson
              I got mine the other day. Also noticed a dearth of Christmas themed projects. I don't recall seeing much Christmas stuff in the Fall issue either. I look forward to new ornament ideas, but those were lacking this year.

I do understand some of the constraints in publishing a magazine these...
              Yesterday, 02:49 PM
            • Bill Wilson
              by Bill Wilson
              Well, this topic can present a lot of opinions and options. First, if you are seriously considering helical cutting heads, would you take the next step and upgrade to a stationary, floor model planer? Perhaps even a used one. I don't know how much space you have and what your shop power options are,...
              Yesterday, 02:13 PM
            • will8989
              by will8989
              Our super max has been making a noise that sounds like paper caught but we can’t pinpoint anything. Cleaned what we could, Bruce used dry lubricant, which sounds like an oxymoron to me, and still makes the noise. Started quietly now is louder. Any suggestions before we call for warranty work? I’m...
              Yesterday, 01:57 PM
            Working...
            X