Cypress???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cypress???

I bought a half dozen cypress knees on Ebay awhile back, I think they cost roughly $5 each and they were all peeled. Once I put a knife to the first one, I fell in love! Those knees where the lightest, nicest carving wood I have tried (mostly I carve hard wood I pickup back in the woods or the yard).

My big question: How is bald cypress for carving? The knees are great, but I don't believe I have read anyplace where anyone has mentioned carving cypress itself.

Anyone???????

Re: Cypress???

I've carved it and like it I've done several spoons out of it. it carves like walnut and alot easier to get( for me anyway I live in SE georgia it's everywhere)
    macktruck
    Honey, Where are the band-aids, again?

Comment

welll I posted, I thought, maybe I didn't hit the button? anyway, I have never carved cypress, but heard it is hard on the knives, is that true?

Comment

Thanks mactruck, I think I'll try to get some, I really like carving the knees.

Dave, the knees haven't hurt my knives or chisels a bit. They actually like the knees so much, they strop themselves when I turn out the lights

Comment

I accidently carved MY knee once. Once was a learning tool! :
          Safety first, then enjoy carving! Ken Caney, Ks

Comment

Hi Ho,
            I havn't found to bad on blades, i just strop a bit more.
            When a carving is first done it has a color like dark butter then ages to a nice golden brown tone. The grain is not very visible.
            macktruck
            Honey, Where are the band-aids, again?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X