This is what was in the Mayo Boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is what was in the Mayo Boxes

This years puzzle sales. 117 need to add price tags and box.. The store I sell to buys them. basically doubles my price. My other items are on consignment with a 50% mark up..
    The mayo boxes are working again. IMG_2531.JPG IMG_2530.JPG
    The other John A. Nelson
    johnsworkshop.com
    sigpic
    I just follow the lines and make sawdust
    on a Seyco ST-21 and a Yellow DW788

Looking good, John.
    Denny
    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Oaks View Post
      Looking good, John.
      Thanks.. I really want to try your method of finishing with shellac and denatured alcohol.. need to make a trip to Nevada.. These where finished with 2 baths of watco natural oil wish now seems be be unavailable .
      The other John A. Nelson
      johnsworkshop.com
      sigpic

Comment

There's some serious sawdust generated in that collection!
        Good looking work. Shame the government has taken away your finishing options.
        Jim
        When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
        Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Have you tried mineral oil with denatured alcohol? I use mineral spirits but you can’t get that either, right? That’s all I ever use. I mix it 50/50 or 40/60.
          Attached Files
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
            Have you tried mineral oil with denatured alcohol? I use mineral spirits but you can’t get that either, right? That’s all I ever use. I mix it 50/50 or 40/60.
            Cannot get denatured alcohol is outlawed in CA. “Mineral spirits” (paint thinner) is a petroleum product and does not work with shellac. I can get the shellac which I think will make a great finish.
            The other John A. Nelson
            johnsworkshop.com
            sigpic

Comment

Lots of nice work John.

On my ornaments I have been using a 50/50 mix of Zinser sanding sealer and alcohol. If it raises the grain a bit I just kiss it with a 240 mac mop.
              Been doing this for many years.
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Does that work on unpainted wood as a finish Rolf? The mineral oil doesn’t make the finish shiny, it just brings out the grain. My customer really like it and it is a cheap finish.
                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                  Lots of nice work John.

On my ornaments I have been using a 50/50 mix of Zinser sanding sealer and alcohol. If it raises the grain a bit I just kiss it with a 240 mac mop.
                  Been doing this for many years.
                  What alcohol are you using ?... Everclear is supposed to work.. It is also outlawed....
                  The other John A. Nelson
                  johnsworkshop.com
                  sigpic

Comment

Betty not shiny, I just like sealing the wood. John Everclear the choice for spiking punch. Wicked stuff. I didn't realize it was no longer available.
                    Rolf

Comment

John

You may want to check out Target Coatings they make water based finishes. I used their EM6000 water based lacquer and was surprised how well it worked. It dried fairly quick so multiple coats in one day wasn't an issue and it was easy to clean the spray gun since it only requires soapy water.
                      Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

When Bruce finishes his grinders, he uses the same water base stuff he put on the kitchen cabinets. After a few coats he uses the renaissance wax and buffs on the lathe as a final coat.
                        Betty

Comment

I just started using this water based poly with great results. Dries in minutes. I have not attempted to brush it but I spray it on using HVLP finishing sprayer i got from Rockler.

General Finishes Enduro Water Based Clear Poly, 1 Gallon, Semi-Gloss - - Amazon.com

Rockler HVLP Finishing Sprayer | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware
                          Last edited by NC Scroller; 05-04-2021, 06:51 AM.
                          Scott
                          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Using a spray gun seems like a lot of work to setup, spray and clean the gun, unless you have a larger project.
                            Rolf

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                              Using a spray gun seems like a lot of work to setup, spray and clean the gun, unless you have a larger project.
                              Totally agree for one project. I think that this is where my ADHD brain helps. I usually end up with numerous project waiting finish. When the weather is right I take them outside and spray. The water based poly is nice because cleanup is little more than running warm water through the spray until.
                              Scott
                              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• millwab
                                Reply to elementary questions
                                by millwab
                                Dan, your questions are a little tough to answer without knowing a little more about this puzzle you're cutting. That said, here are my thoughts:
                                • First of all, it would be helpful to know the overall size of this puzzle and how many pieces you're thinking of cutting it into. 1/2" BB is pretty
                                Today, 07:09 PM
                              • dwssr2
                                elementary questions
                                by dwssr2
                                So I am making a puzzel for a co worker, not real intricagte, I am using 1/2 baltic birch, I almost always use fdur blades. My questions are what size blade sholuld I use, considering finish, and what size entry hole should I drill?
                                Next question is how to finish? When painting puzzles, different...
                                Today, 11:49 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                Reply to ArtCrafters - Pegas Scroll Saw Blades
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                Thanks Linda. I got the email and sent you a reply. I hope I answered the questions....
                                Today, 11:33 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to ArtCrafters - Pegas Scroll Saw Blades
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Hey Denny---I shot you an email with a few questions. I might just have to dip my toe into the world of Pegas blades vs FD. At least to try! Open minded explorations. Thank you ! Linda
                                Today, 10:29 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Having a Betty week
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Be careful---soon she will be able to outrun you! Remember when fridges lasted for decades?! Glad she's doing well.
                                Today, 10:12 AM
                              Working...
                              X