Cutting Styles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Styles

In preparation for a scrolling demonstration I decided to make up a piece that would show the different ways I've cut puzzles. It's 2 layers of 1/8" BB. The puzzles were cut out as tray puzzles and then glued back in so pieces wouldn't get lost as it was handled.
    Puzzle cutting styles.jpg
    Bruce
    . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
    visit sometime
    Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Sweet looking display. Excellent examples of the puzzles.

Karl
    Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

Great idea and a nice job of puzzle making. There is one more option that I use to make puzzle. That is cutting along the shapes in the picture.
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Are you free handing or do you have a pattern that you use? If a pattern how do you apply it to the image without damaging it?
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
          Are you free handing or do you have a pattern that you use? If a pattern how do you apply it to the image without damaging it?
          I use a pattern for the round puzzle and freehand the others after drawing a grid over top. My go to method is to cover the picture with clear contact paper (shelf liner) then I can draw my grid on it or glue a pattern to it and the contact paper will release from the picture without leaving a residue.
          Bruce
          visit sometime
          Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

Originally posted by millwab View Post

I use a pattern for the round puzzle and freehand the others after drawing a grid over top. My go to method is to cover the picture with clear contact paper (shelf liner) then I can draw my grid on it or glue a pattern to it and the contact paper will release from the picture without leaving a residue.
            Do you apply any coating to the picture before applying the contact paper?
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

The way I do it is, glue picture of puzzle on a 3/8 inch bb, then seal picture with clear spray, then put the puzzle pattern on a 1/4 bb, tape the two boards together with the pattern board on top, just a matter of cutting then, thx RJ
              Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

So if I understand correctly you never put the contact paper directly on the image.
                Rolf
                RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

No, I don’t use contact on the image, just the 1/8 piece of bb with the puzzle pattern on it, after I cut the 2 pieces fall apart, RJ
                  Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by NC Scroller View Post

Do you apply any coating to the picture before applying the contact paper?
                    It depends on the source picture, but most of the time I spray something on top. Shellac or triple thick glaze usually regardless of whether I'm applying the contact paper or not.

BTW, I do cut puzzles along color lines too. Most of my Christmas card puzzles are cut that way (~60/year) as are most of my Rockwell puzzles. Only had so much room on the display piece.
                    Bruce
                    visit sometime
                    Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                      So if I understand correctly you never put the contact paper directly on the image.
                      Once whatever top coat is dry the contact paper goes directly on the image. The nice thing about it is it comes up without pulling on the picture and leaves no residue when it's pealed off.
                      Bruce
                      visit sometime
                      Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• millwab
                        Reply to elementary questions
                        by millwab
                        Dan, your questions are a little tough to answer without knowing a little more about this puzzle you're cutting. That said, here are my thoughts:
                        • First of all, it would be helpful to know the overall size of this puzzle and how many pieces you're thinking of cutting it into. 1/2" BB is pretty
                        Today, 07:09 PM
                      • dwssr2
                        elementary questions
                        by dwssr2
                        So I am making a puzzel for a co worker, not real intricagte, I am using 1/2 baltic birch, I almost always use fdur blades. My questions are what size blade sholuld I use, considering finish, and what size entry hole should I drill?
                        Next question is how to finish? When painting puzzles, different...
                        Today, 11:49 AM
                      • Sandy Oaks
                        Reply to ArtCrafters - Pegas Scroll Saw Blades
                        by Sandy Oaks
                        Thanks Linda. I got the email and sent you a reply. I hope I answered the questions....
                        Today, 11:33 AM
                      • Linda In Phoenix
                        Reply to ArtCrafters - Pegas Scroll Saw Blades
                        by Linda In Phoenix
                        Hey Denny---I shot you an email with a few questions. I might just have to dip my toe into the world of Pegas blades vs FD. At least to try! Open minded explorations. Thank you ! Linda
                        Today, 10:29 AM
                      • Linda In Phoenix
                        Reply to Having a Betty week
                        by Linda In Phoenix
                        Be careful---soon she will be able to outrun you! Remember when fridges lasted for decades?! Glad she's doing well.
                        Today, 10:12 AM
                      Working...
                      X