Christmas Card Puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Card Puzzle

Yes, it's that time. After many months away from the shop (thanks to a couple of surgeries) it's time to get these done. Cutting 60 this year before taking them apart and putting in envelopes
    5.5" x 4.25".39 pieces
    Is anyone else doing Christmas card puzzles?
    2020 Christmas puzzle_front.jpg 2020 Christmas puzzle_back.jpg
    Bruce
    . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
    visit sometime
    Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

This is really nice, and a great size too! What are you cutting them out of (wood, cardstock, etc), and what process do you use (adhesive and or other things to adhere design to material)? Please share to those of us who might want to try your method. Thank you!
    Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Linda, the substrate is 1/4" poplar ply. I use 3M77 spray to glue the front of the card to one side and the inside card message to the back to make it a two sided puzzle. Depending on the front picture I usually cut it along the color lines, then take it apart and put the pieces in the envelope.
      Last edited by millwab; 11-10-2020, 08:22 PM.
      Bruce
      visit sometime
      Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

What did you print the front and back (pic & message) on (what type of "paper")? No sealers used? This seems so simple and easy and wonderful. A perfect project for me to do with my grandson...for him to make a gift for his mom!
        Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

What a wonderful idea. Glad you are back on the saw.
          Denny
          ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Originally posted by Linda In Phoenix View Post
            What did you print the front and back (pic & message) on (what type of "paper")? No sealers used?
            For the Christmas cards I buy boxed cards. Cut them in half along the fold and glue on the front/inside as desired. These cards had a glossy hard finish on the front so a sealer wasn't necessary. The back could have been sprayed if I was concerned about durability but it would take a lot of handling over many Christmases to show wear and tear. For a one-off I would find an appropriate greeting card and use it. Enjoy sharing the project with your grandson.

Hint: I've learned the hard way that it's much easier to cut your wood blank slightly smaller than the card to account for glue up errors. Especially if you use the spray adhesive. The spray doesn't allow for shifting the paper once it's down on the wood but it has many other advantages. It's a lot easier to trim the paper to fit the wood than it is to trim the wood to fit the paper.
            Bruce
            visit sometime
            Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Oaks View Post
              What a wonderful idea. Glad you are back on the saw.
              Thanx Denny. This is year #15 for my card puzzles and they are appreciated and loved by those who get them. Not my original idea (I first saw them on this forum) but none the less have become a staple for people I wouldn't necessarily give a gift to. It feels good to be making sawdust again after a 5 month layoff although I'll never catch up on all the Christmas projects I wanted to make this year. Oh well.
              Bruce
              visit sometime
              Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

Yes Bruce I also have made them in the past. I typically use Baltic Birch plywood and I spray them with rattle can shellac.
                Scott
                Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Originally posted by NC Scroller View Post
                  Yes Bruce I also have made them in the past. I typically use Baltic Birch plywood and I spray them with rattle can shellac.
                  Scott, I used to use Baltic Birch but I've found that the poplar ply is easier to cut and easier on blades, especially when using the thin blades for puzzles. Depending on the cards use I have sprayed them with triple thick glaze.
                  Bruce
                  visit sometime
                  Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

Originally posted by millwab View Post

Scott, I used to use Baltic Birch but I've found that the poplar ply is easier to cut and easier on blades, especially when using the thin blades for puzzles. Depending on the cards use I have sprayed them with triple thick glaze.
                    One of the benefits of rattle can shellac is it dry in 5 minutes. I spray before I cut.
                    Scott

Comment

Well done Bruce! I also send out a smallll number of Christmas card puzzles to my neices and nephews, although they are mostly out of the Santa stage, they do look forward to receiving the puzzles and my oldest nephew 14 yrs. old, proudly shows hie entire collection to the younger ones and tells them that uncle Rick likes him best . Where do you purchase poplar plywood?

Rick
                      Rick
                      Just because the circus left town, doesn't mean the Monkey's off your back

Comment

I think that I will try this. Can you recommend a blade or type of blade to cut these.

Comment

Originally posted by Quartz43 View Post
                          I think that I will try this. Can you recommend a blade or type of blade to cut these.
                          I use the Flying Dutchman puzzle blade.
                          Scott

Comment

A Pegas comparable blade to the FD Puzzle blades is #2/0 Pegas Skip blades
                            Denny
                            ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Oaks View Post
                              A Pegas comparable blade to the FD Puzzle blades is #2/0 Pegas Skip blades
                              I will give them a try on my next order. Assuming I don't forget LOL
                              Scott

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X