Big puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big puzzle

I have been making puzzles for a while and I decided I wanted a big puzzle project.I always used pictures for the puzzles,but I thought I would try painting instead.I am not a painter so I had to research what I was doing and it turns out it is called abstract painting.I start out with a 12" x 12",5 ply 1/4" Baltic Birch plywood board.After painting I connect them to each other with dovetail joints.I started this project in May of 2019,to date I have 2 rows almost complete and it measures 12 1/2 feet wide and I'm not sure how high it will be.I am about to start the third row soon.I now have 3866 pieces done.I hope I can get pictures on to show you
    Will M
    Attached Files

WOW..... Talk about a labor of love.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Where would you display a puzzle that large?
      Denny
      ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Ok I am impressed! I would have the same question as Denny.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Nice painting,thanks for sharing, It could be a weather map. y sister-in-law was a abstract artist.

Comment

When i had one row done and the second partially done I put it together on my garage floor.and I invited my neighbors over to see it and they all thought I was nuts.Maybe there right.But oh what fun I'm having.

Comment

That's amazing! Doing something "just because" is a great thing. Please keep us posted on your progress.
              Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Still working on this puzzle.My goal was to make it 10,000 pieces.Today I got to 31/2 rows and 5,000 pieces.Don't know if I can get it to 10,000.
                My neighbors still think I'm nuts.Maybe they are right.

Comment

I'm impressed by your efforts. Maybe someday you can have a record holder in Guiness Book!
                  Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

I have friends that own a Gallery in our village, Their expose are primarily very different abstract artists, and I do mean abstract.
                    Crazy stuff like shreds of fabric or paper slopped together and priced at 6k.
                    Your work would put them to shame!
                    Rolf
                    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I have a question about cutting large puzzles. I am wanting to cut a puzzle that is 2’ X 4’. How do you cut that size of a puzzle when the throat on my saw is only 21”???? Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by kenreich View Post
                        I have a question about cutting large puzzles. I am wanting to cut a puzzle that is 2’ X 4’. How do you cut that size of a puzzle when the throat on my saw is only 21”???? Am I missing something?
                        I have cut some larger pieces on a scroll saw but never a puzzle. One method is to use spiral blades which cut in all directions. For a puzzle you will likely need to use a 2/0 blade because spiral blades leave a fairly wide kerf. The other method is to cut as far as you can with a convention flat blade and then put the blade in backwards and cut the rest. Cutting backwards does take practice but it can be done..
                        Scott
                        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

“Cutting backwards”. Never thought of that.. Thanks for the idea will have to give it a try

Comment

Hey guys. this is the big puzzle cutter checking in.I'm getting pretty close to finishing it, 33 months so far and still going strong. A little tough
                            cutting in the cold garage.I'm up to 9,590 pieces,Hope to have some pictures for you when I'm done.
                            Will M

Comment

Hey "big puzzle cutter" your work is awesome. Re your question on sawing a puzzle 2' X 4'. Quite a number of years ago I had the opportunity to saw a puzzle. It was a print of a lynx done by wildlife artist , Gail Adams, who I believe lives in Edmonton, Alberta now. I happened to be at a craft show that had a trade show section also in which she had her art work. Anyway, I was asked if I could saw a puzzle of the print. I glued it to 1/4" baltic birch plywood with Super 77 spray glue. The print was about 18" X 24", too big for my saw throat. I ended up first sawing the print in 1/4's ; then took each 1/4 and continued to saw the puzzle pieces. I did not use a pattern or template laid on the print, it was all done free hand. I ended up with a 400+ piece puzzle. Each piece was about 1 X 1 inch. I am not sure if this method would work for you. I was using a 22" throat scroll saw. Sawing it into 1/4's allowed me to turn the piece of wood. I don't know if you could saw the whole thing into 3rd's rather than in 1/2 at first. As I am writing this I am thinking that I need to do some practise on a piece of cardboard to make sure it could be done this way, but maybe it will give you something to think about. I would upload a picture of the puzzle but I don't know how to do it. Will have to get my grandson to help me. All the best. I am looking forward to seeing your finished product.

Garry

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X