Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for 5-Ply poplar plywood?

Hello All,
    I have been asked to make a few puzzles as gifts and was wondering if anyone could recommend a source for 5-ply poplar plywood?
    I had cut a few puzzles some time ago and don't remember where i purchased the plywood from.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you
    loving my DW788

https://www.lowes.com/pd/RevolutionP...4-x-8/50121135
    Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

I checked out this website and it looks like this product could make a pretty decent backer board.

Comment

Are you using it as a backer or to cut the puzzle from? I’ve found any plywood I got from Lowe’s had a lot of voids. I use poplar for all my puzzles. Well I was going to post a few pictures but the photo library is empty again. Only happens on this site.
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I have never had much success with the stuff from Lowes. I did a quick internet search in your area. Nothing really popped up on your side of the river but I found this place in Poughkeepsie First Cut Custom Woodworks and Affordable Granite and Cabinetry in Fishkill.

BTW I grew up and lived 40 years in Dutchess County.
          Last edited by NC Scroller; 01-12-2020, 07:47 AM.
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Any reason why you wouldn't want to use Baltic Birch ply? I think ApplePly would be another good option for puzzles, but it's more expensive, I believe.
            Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Check with the cabinet shops in your area. They know the sources of good cabinet ply.
              Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

Apologies for this delayed response -- thank you all for the responses.
                NC Scroller whereabouts in Dutchess?
                I have been in Newburgh area all my life.

Thank you all again.
                Talk soon
                loving my DW788

Comment

Originally posted by cseymour View Post
                  Apologies for this delayed response -- thank you all for the responses.
                  NC Scroller whereabouts in Dutchess?
                  I have been in Newburgh area all my life.

Thank you all again.
                  Talk soon
                  I grew up on North Jackson Rd near the Dutchess County airport. In my adult life I lived for a while in Hyde Park and also LaGrange before moving to NC.
                  Scott
                  Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Oh nice --
                    Always nie to chat with another HV'er.

Stay well.
                    loving my DW788

Comment

I’ve migrated to poplar from Baltic birch for my puzzles in part because it’s easier to cut and doesn’t wear out blades as quickly as the BB does. I can usually cut 5x the number of puzzle pieces in poplar than BB with each blade. I currently get my poplar ply from Cherry Tree. They sell it in 16”x24” pieces which is a convenient size for me.
                      Bruce
                      . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
                      visit sometime
                      Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

Like millwab, I get mine from Cherry Tree/Wildwood which has both 1/8" and 1/4" poplar ply. I like the 1/4 for puzzles. You can contact them at www.CherryTreeToys.com or 1-8oo-848-4363
                        George
                        A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
                        George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                          Reply to My beauties
                          by Rolf
                          Betty, I was talking about the bottom of the paduk board with what looks like dowel plugs. You say there are screws under those plugs? Are the screws going into a cross piece that holds the wood strips together?
                          Today, 08:01 AM
                        • Linda In Phoenix
                          Reply to My beauties
                          by Linda In Phoenix
                          I have dozens of basket patterns I inherited.... maybe I ought to give one a try sometime. Never made one yet, but yours always look so very nice!
                          Yesterday, 05:50 PM
                        • planeur
                          Reply to Cutting guide for straight cut on a scroolsaw
                          by planeur
                          Merci Rolf , I use Pegas blade but not that kind, interesting what they say about it.
                          I will try them.
                          Have a good day

planeur
                          Yesterday, 09:22 AM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to My beauties
                          by will8989
                          Looks like glass with the sun shining through it....
                          Yesterday, 08:08 AM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to My beauties
                          by will8989
                          He puts biscuts between the long pieces, is that what you meant? He has stainless screws in the lips then puts the plugs on top of that. Scott, cutting one doesn’t take long. It’s the removing of the tiny drill hole, spraying each piece with distilled water, letting dry, sanding and sometimes flap...
                          10-17-2021, 10:55 AM
                        Working...
                        X