US map puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US map puzzle

I'd like to cut a puzzle map of the US as part of my "puzzles to learn by" for a child. I've already cut a puzzle for numbers and the alphabet and this would be the third in the series. My question to you all is this: I've seen patterns for just the states' outlines, states and their names, or states with their names and capitals. Finish size would probably be 8"x10". Any thoughts on which would be the best approach? I'd appreciate your input. Thanx.
    Bruce
    . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
    visit sometime
    Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Just outlines not enough room to cut names/capitals. Names and capitals can be lettered on rather easily. I've cut a couple like that but the teacher did the lettering. so I can't supply a photo

Comment

8" x 10" is much to small in my opinion. You will be hard pressed to cut the state outlines with a finished size of 8 x 10. Especially when it comes to RI, DE, CT and MD. I am thinking you really need to consider nothing less then 12 x 24 and larger if you want to include names and capitals.
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Might want to be sure that no state is small enough to present a choking hazard.
        Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

I agree with Scott that size is too small. In my map store I used to sell a heavy cardboard puzzle that I bought from A Broader View. It was 18" x 30", with 55 pieces. Each state was a piece, except VT NH MA CT & RI were cut as one.
          Jo Labre - in beautiful Racine, Wisconsin

Mostly, I don't know what I am doing - but I am doing it with GUSTO!

Comment

Thanks all for your input

fredfret — I've found maps I can use that are both blank (just the state outlines) and with the state names and/or capitals pre-printed on the map. My original question was more to whether it would have a better educational value with or without the names there.

Scott/Jo — Once I printed it out on letter sized paper I tend to agree with you. May end up going to 18"x12" paper to make things a bit more practical. Since it will be a tray puzzle I think going any bigger would be too cumbersome. I'd already decided that I need to combine some of the small NE states.

Carole — a larger puzzle would help with piece size, although the child will be old enough that he shouldn't be putting them in his mouth anyway. ( I know, I know, nothing is guaranteed with kids.)
            Bruce
            . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
            visit sometime
            Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

contact a teacher or the parents for suggestions. Childs age will make a big difference grades 1-3 maybe names and capitals grades 4-6 only capitals, older blank. Just my ideas

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X