Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creative Station

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Creative Station

    Before allowing my scroll saw to take an extended vacation I bought a Xyron Creative Station after reading recommendations here. It remains unused but now that my scrolling juices are beginning to rise the station has come to mind. I searched and read many comments but still have a question or two. The most important to me is can the creative station be used to mount the picture permanently to the wood. There is no pattern to glue as I am cutting freehand. Most of the comments I found seemed to focus on mounting a pattern. Thanks all.

  • #2
    Originally posted by florida scroller View Post
    Before allowing my scroll saw to take an extended vacation I bought a Xyron Creative Station after reading recommendations here. It remains unused but now that my scrolling juices are beginning to rise the station has come to mind. I searched and read many comments but still have a question or two. The most important to me is can the creative station be used to mount the picture permanently to the wood. There is no pattern to glue as I am cutting freehand. Most of the comments I found seemed to focus on mounting a pattern. Thanks all.
    I have a Xyron machine. I have only used it to apply patterns. To apply pictures to wood for puzzles I use 3M Super 77 adhesive spray. I spray the wood and the back of the pictures.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

    Comment


    • #3
      It does have a permanent adhesive, I see no reason that it would not work. Just make sure that the wood is smooth and absolutely dust free.
      When I do intarsia I use the permanent adhesive directly on the wood since it gets sanded off during shaping, I have never had it peel off prematurely.
      I say do a practice piece first for peace of mind.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

      Comment


      • #4
        Thank you. I have 3M Super 77 and had an interesting experience when I cut a puzzle with a pattern last week. After spraying the wood I picked up the picture and laid it on cardboard to spray the back of it. Seems the spot chosen to lay it on the cardboard was covered with adhesive from the over spray while doing the wood. I knew my mistake immediately and peeled it up carefully. The next thing I learned was that mineral spirits will remove the adhesive without ruining the picture. Lesson learned? Pay attention!
        The Creative Station is still in the box, unopened. It includes a roll of permanet adhesive plastic so today will be investigative and I'll do a practice test. I wonder what the next learning experience will involve!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by florida scroller View Post
          Thank you. I have 3M Super 77 and had an interesting experience when I cut a puzzle with a pattern last week. After spraying the wood I picked up the picture and laid it on cardboard to spray the back of it. Seems the spot chosen to lay it on the cardboard was covered with adhesive from the over spray while doing the wood.
          Did this too one time. I now lay the wood and picture side by side on my spray rack and spray them both at once.
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by NC Scroller View Post
            Did this too one time. I now lay the wood and picture side by side on my spray rack and spray them both at once.
            Almost 4 yrs later I'm back and see your response. Thank you. It made me have a DUH moment. Why didn't I think of that? Thanks again.

            Comment


            • #7
              I never spray any adhesive on to the wood.
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm making puzzles,anybody know if photos can be dry mounted to the plywood?

                Comment


                • #9
                  As stated above I use the Xyron (creative station) with permanent adhesive to attach a photo directly to smooth clean wood. I would also consider sealing both sides of the wood before application.
                  Rolf
                  RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                  Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                  Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                  And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

                  Comment

                  Unconfigured Ad Widget

                  Collapse

                  Latest Topics

                  Collapse

                  • Jim McDonald
                    Reply to Hello from Central Florida
                    by Jim McDonald
                    Used a 788 for many years. It now resides with a crafty family friend.
                    Questions are answered freely around here and no one has any tricks they don't freely share.
                    Yesterday, 09:08 PM
                  • mtwoodguy
                    Reply to Hello from Central Florida
                    by mtwoodguy
                    Welcome! John! From Reno NV. A long time 788 user (I'm94) I'm sure you will get many happy hours from the repairs you placed on the machine.
                    Yesterday, 06:45 PM
                  • John Smith
                    Hello from Central Florida
                    by John Smith
                    I'm 74, retired from the commercial dimensional advertising world. (carved and routed signs).
                    I've always used the Roto-Zip, band saw, or other tools to make my projects. (wishing many times I had a good scroll saw). Well, I finally found an old DW-788 that the original owner said "it finally...
                    Yesterday, 05:51 PM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to What's a good stain product?
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    I use acrylic paint mixed with water to stain when I want vibrant colors. There was an article in one of the issues awhile back where a product called "Unicorn Spit" was suggested for the colors---and many people swear by it....
                    Yesterday, 10:24 AM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to Phone call from son.
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    Oh my gosh Betty....Your son is fortunate to be alive. How badly stung was he by the hornets? Electrical shock is crazy dangerous. Wow.
                    Yesterday, 10:21 AM
                  Working...
                  X