Science Fair 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Science Fair 2015

So, my son Jeremy needed an idea for his 6th grade science fair, and being an avid puzzle enthusiast like his ol' dad, he decided to do a jigsaw puzzle experiment this year.

His hypothesis was that the image on a jigsaw puzzle would affect it's assembly time, and more specifically, he was testing to see how assembly time of a puzzle using a geometric pattern as an image compared to one using an artistic painting. The idea is that the first would involve more logic in assembly (left side of brain) and the latter would involve more artistic reasoning (right side of brain).

For the experiment, he chose a plaid pattern as the "geometric picture" and a painting using a similar color palette as an "artistic picture."

Jeremy asked me to create two puzzles (short notice....I only had a few hours...Grrrr), and what I did was to design a cutting pattern, as both needed to be identical in every way except for the picture. Using the pattern as a template, I cut both from maple ply. Each puzzle is about 10" x 10".

For fun, I designed a quick "Science Fair" themed multilayer concept.

The study design involved testing 10 people, where they were timed on each puzzle. Half were allowed to assemble the geometric puzzle first, and the other half the artistic puzzle first. Also, all assemblers were allowed to see the template pattern for 5 seconds before starting ( but not a picture of the final puzzle).

Any guesses what the results were? <GRIN>

He has to present his project to the judges tomorrow....wish him luck!

The "key" on the top left is the school's symbol.

Shawn Ferguson

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !

Sure. I'd say the folks who first did the one puzzle with the, uumm, with the....well...
    Nope, no idea.
    Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
    Desert Woodcrafters
    Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

I'm thinking you have one smart kid there. The geometric puzzle went together quicker.
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

go Jeremy ......interesting concept.....if the colors of the plaid patternare different shades of color, you could separate the colors and then assemble.....the puzzle with the houses image has a lot of white, which may be harder to assemble than the plaid puzzle.....one assembly key would be to assemble the puzzle pieces around the words, the proceed with the rest of the puzzle...

so my hypothesis, is the the plaid puzzle took less time to assemble.....I eagerly await the results.

Bob
        "The Journey is the Reward"

Comment

Shawn....nice job....I don't know the results and don't especially care. It's a great idea for your son. They're both cut so well.

Carter
          Last edited by Carter-Johnson; 03-04-2015, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Wow; Just amazing! (Can relate to the "few hours" remark - lol.)

Lemme see now. Was each sample set of 10 comprised of equal numbers of men and women? adults and children? northerners and southerners?

I vote for geometric!

Great project!
            Regards,
            Brian

visit us at Pickens Puzzles: www.pickenspuzzles.com

Comment

Ha, great idea for a science fair project. Good thing he has a dad willing to help out and make things happen at the last minute.

So which puzzle wins? Maybe the times were too close to make a call.

Tom
              Hawk G4
              http://www.scrollsawer.com/gallery/s...00/ppuser/4243

Comment

Shawn Ferguson

Comment

By the way, I was surprised by the results.....I thought the geometrical pattern would be much easier to assemble, but 9/10 of the "subjects" assembled the artwork puzzle significantly faster.
                  Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Congratulations to your son!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice display. Great project.

Is he going to be a psychiatrist solving puzzles of the mind?
                    Regards,
                    Brian

visit us at Pickens Puzzles: www.pickenspuzzles.com

Comment

Great puzzles, as always, Shawn. More importantly though - congratulations to your son on a great project idea and 1st place!

Matt

Comment

congrats to jamie.....the results are very interesting.....i thought for sure, the pattern puzzle would be easier to solve!!!

bob
                        "The Journey is the Reward"

Comment

Please congratulate Jeremy on his project and first place. Surprised at the result!

Comment

Hi Shawn,

Great puzzles, as usual.

Congratulations to Jeremy on a really good choice for the science fair. Ann Marie & I had the opportunity to speak with him at the open house last year, a very mature and polite young man. That apple sure hasn't rolled far.

BE WELL
                            Rick
                            Just because the circus left town, doesn't mean the Monkey's off your back

Comment

Sounds to me like Jeremy is a 'chip off the old block.'

I do work with families and some decade or two back I finally realized that when people say "the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree" . . . . it's really true.

You guys are doing something right, Shawn. I'd say keep on doing it.

John
                              I've Got A Lot More To Learn
                              About Leaving Battlegrounds Alone
                              "~~ Molly Venter

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Sandy Oaks
                                Reply to Colwood wood burner Great support
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                Good to hear about great service and support
                                Today, 09:14 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Colwood wood burner Great support
                                by Rolf
                                I was using my older Colewood Super pro II yesterday and I could not control the temperature. As soon as I turned it on the tip went to the max. I opened it up to have a look.
                                Not much in the box a Transformer, a small circuit board with a few components. I decided to call the company and I believe...
                                Today, 08:27 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to ?????? ??
                                by Rolf
                                It seems that new members don't present themselves in the new members section. If anyone spots a new member encourage them to introduce themselves in the new member section.

I will send Kaylee a note to see who is overseeing the forum.
                                Today, 08:06 AM
                              • Jim McDonald
                                Reply to ?????? ??
                                by Jim McDonald
                                As you know, we lost a ton of folks during the time the board was being redone and a lot of them ended up at the Village and have never looked back.
                                As far as updates to the software, I am with Scott on having no clue. I do wish some of the old timers would check in from time to time, even...
                                Yesterday, 07:43 PM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to ?????? ??
                                by NC Scroller
                                I know Bob Duncan used to monitor and work on forum issues. No clue who is handling it now....
                                Yesterday, 05:37 PM
                              Working...
                              X