A Gift for a Little Girl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Gift for a Little Girl

I knew of a family viviting here from India. They had a little girl that didn't have any friends here. Attempting to make her happy, she was taken to see the movie Frozen. She was so excited after seeing it, that everything she wanted had to have a 'frozen' theme to it. So, before she left to go back to her home country, I found a public domain picture of the Frozen characters, blew it up to about 18 x 21, mounted it on a piece of BB, and cut it into a puzzle for her. I then took some scraps of Popular and made a box with her name on the top, for her to keep the puzzle pieces in. I will never forget the smile on her face when she saw it. Well worth the time and effort spent on making it.
    Attached Files
    ichibob
    aka - Bob, USAF Ret.
    www.grandpaswoodshed.com

Bob.....Nice Job! I hope her folks can tear her away from it once in a while.

Carter

Comment

That is something beautiful that she can remember for the rest of her life. You are a fine man for doing this God Bless.
      Joe (jellis)

Comment

WOW...such a great idea...love the box, the wood grain and the top...
        Sam,

"tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit...I"----pf

Comment

Carter - anytime a master Puzzlemister like you gives me a compliment on one of my puzzles - that means a lot. Thank you.

To Joe and Sam - your kind words and comments mean just as much to me - thank you too. I don't think she let go of the box all the way home. That made me happy!
          ichibob
          aka - Bob, USAF Ret.
          www.grandpaswoodshed.com

Comment

I love it, Bob, and I love the box as well! You did a really nice job with it.
            Just an FYI, I doubt anything made by Disney is in the public domain (a lot of sites will make such a claim, but it's often not true). Best bet is just to buy the art as a print, calendar, etc, and then it's pretty much yours to do with what you wish for your own personal use (just don't make copies, etc.)

This puzzle will be such a hit for Kaya. I really like the inlay on the lid!
            Did you hinge the top, or does it just rest in place?
            Shawn Ferguson

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !

Comment

wow....great job.....the box is perfect for the puzzle.....I love it!

bob
              "The Journey is the Reward"

Comment

Wonderful job. You may have to learn about customs declarations forms etc and shipping to India when she gets home.
                "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Hey Shawn - I always watch your work for inspiration, and I value your advice. Thank you! I thought about all of that after I started cutting the puzzle, but I wasn't making copies to sell or profit from - it was a one time puzzle, a gift for a lonely little girl, so I thought it would be fine. My only 'profit', was seeing her surprise and smiles. That was worth more to me than any monetary value anyway.

The box was made from some left over popular cutoffs. In the picture, the lid merely fit on, but I wound up putting on hinges and a clasp on the front to keep it closed and secure, since she was carrying it half way around the world.

To Bob (avapilot) - thank you for the kind words.

To Montana Mike - no thank you - I'm not an importer/exporter - I'm just Grandpa, trying to give a child some wonderful memories!
                  ichibob
                  aka - Bob, USAF Ret.
                  www.grandpaswoodshed.com

Comment

Originally posted by ichibob View Post
                    Hey Shawn - I always watch your work for inspiration, and I value your advice. Thank you! I thought about all of that after I started cutting the puzzle, but I wasn't making copies to sell or profit from - it was a one time puzzle, a gift for a lonely little girl, so I thought it would be fine. My only 'profit', was seeing her surprise and smiles. That was worth more to me than any monetary value anyway.
                    I agree, Bob....I don't think you'll have any problems at all.

My point was more aimed toward the websites which advertise public domain art, which really isn't. Surprisingly, there are quite a few out there. Wikipedia Commons is usually a pretty safe bet, however, and if all else fails, research when the artwork was created. Anything prior to 1923 is typically in the public domain.

Another strategy is to visit art shows, and if you see a form of art which looks appealing for puzzles, talk with the artist. I obtained agreements from 5 artists this past weekend alone at a show. Since I don't mass produce, and the vast majority of what I sell is for charity, often the agreement is a one time use arrangement, which can be as simple as buying the print with permission to resell as a puzzle.

Anyhoo....I don't think anyone will give you a hard time about a puzzle cut for personal use, and made for a little girl.
                    Shawn Ferguson

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !

Comment

To Montana Mike - no thank you - I'm not an importer/exporter - I'm just Grandpa, trying to give a child some wonderful memories!
                      Now how are you going to tell those little girls in India who want one too that you can't help.....LOL
                      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Excellently done. She is going to love this. Great work on all of the project. Thanks for sharing this with us.

DW
                        Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
                        John Wayne

Comment

Bob,
                          Nice work & extra check mark in your column for those few days in your life that you set aside for someone else's life . . . . it's those check marks that get counted in the end.. .. ..

John
                          I've Got A Lot More To Learn
                          About Leaving Battlegrounds Alone
                          "~~ Molly Venter

Comment

To Shawn - as always, great advice. Thank you!

To Montana Mike - Don't stir the pot! I'll send them to Shawn; he knows how to deal with that stuff! Ok Shawn? LOL!

To DW - Thanks for the kind words - glad you liked it.

To John - Thank you too for your kind words, I sincerely appreciate what you said. I don't really worry about the end though - I live by the Law of Cause and Effect. You see, it is the 'causes' and choices that a person makes at the present momet, that determines the effect in your life and future. If I can make the right causes and choices at this moment, and make someone's life a little better, even for a minute, then I know my future - and the end - will be right too.

I appreciate all of your comments and feedback - for you are helping me more than you know!
                            ichibob
                            aka - Bob, USAF Ret.
                            www.grandpaswoodshed.com

Comment

You did excellent work there. The grain on the sides just enhanced the beauty of the box. Nice job on the puzzle and on making a little girl's day.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• handibunny
                                Reply to Guinevere sander question
                                handibunny
                                Bill, do you really need the whole system? I know they were selling like hot cakes at the Open House, but unless you really want to sand at 3600 rpm and need all the different drums, you may be better off with a slower motor and a flex shaft.

I sand at about 1600 rpm with the three Guinevere...
                                Today, 09:00 PM
                              • cgeary
                                Reply to Name Train
                                cgeary
                                Wow these are really cool! The extra cars came out really neat and make it nice a long train.
                                How do you do the wheels? Are they a kit I can get?
                                The magnet linkers are neat too.
                                Today, 08:43 PM
                              • GladeFade
                                Guinevere sander question
                                GladeFade
                                I am considering getting the Guinevere sanding system and have a question on the speed of the motor. I now have 1 sleeve and am using it on my drill press which I run at about 800 RPM. I see the motor for the Guinevere runs at 3600 RPM. To me that sounds a bit high. What is your experience been with...
                                Today, 03:28 PM
                              • Don in Brooklin On
                                Reply to woven basket pattern
                                Don in Brooklin On
                                On my honey do list so I started to get ready and I was not sure what cut on the 2 areas marked below with arrow. Also what is the size of the blank

Thanks ...
                                Today, 01:57 PM
                              • handibunny
                                Reply to Adjustable glasses
                                handibunny
                                Thanks, Jim. Let us know how they work out over time. I found the ad online, and it certainly seems useful if it delivers as promised, especially as a backup, or when you need a prescription change.
                                Today, 12:49 PM
                              Working...
                              X