Puzzle Painting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puzzle Painting

When painting puzzles are the inside parts painted or just left plain. I tried a puzzle and painted the inside, and it kinda made it tight. Opinions welcome. edward
    http://www.scrollsawer.com/gallery/s...00&ppuser=6384

I think it's just a preferential type of thing, Edward....some puzzlecrafters paint the inside edges, and some don't.

The advantage to painting: The pieces look nicer, and you don't have to worry about paint dripping onto the edges and looking messy.

The disadvantage to painting: The paint may scuff due to piece friction during assembly, and as you mentioned, there will be a tighter fit. This can be overcome by using a wider blade, resulting in a wider kerf.

An alternative would be to use a dye, which will not have the same build up paint does, and you can just dip the pieces......depending on what you use and how you do this, you may get some swelling of the wood, however.
    Shawn Ferguson

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !

Comment

Yeah to what Shawn said.
      I try not to paint the kerf area, but that is my preference for the above reasons.
      Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
      Desert Woodcrafters
      Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

Painting

Painting both sides increases the difficulty level of the puzzle.
        Using craft acrylics and a brush will cause buildup. Put a rag over you finger tip and use that as a brush. Use little paint and the coating will be very thin and not give significant buildup. Also lets the wood grain show thru to some degree. Use a couple of coats if you want a darker color. This works well on the flat surfaces of the puzzle pieces but not on the edges unless you have cut large pieces and radii.
        "Time to Give Back"

Comment

I don't paint the kerf edges of puzzles because it makes them too tight and the paint wears off. Dye stains work if you want the grain to show but they do tend to swell the wood.

george
          A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
          George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

An airbrush works well too. It's easy to lay down light coats and to get into squiggly areas.

Edge grain on the kerfs can be thirsty and get blotchy. Be sure to test first.

Not testing a finish is one of the classic blunders. Right up there with "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line."

Comment

Hi

I never paint inside edges - if using acrylic paint, use a flat brush and make sure it is quite dry, alternatively use a sponge, again ensuring that you do not have too much paint on the sponge so that it does not drip over the edges.

Good Luck
              Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Arcy View Post

Not testing a finish is one of the classic blunders. Right up there with "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line."

It would be inconceivable to not test a finish.
                Shawn Ferguson

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim Finn
                  Reply to Adjustable glasses
                  Jim Finn
                  Carole;
                  Adjustable glasses are reading glasses that have a small "thimble" that you turn to adjust to the needs of each eye. I only use them for playing at my computer. My screen is just beyond arms length so regular reading glasses do not work as well at that distance. The way...
                  Today, 11:28 AM
                • Sandy Oaks
                  Reply to Bear Dream Catcher
                  Sandy Oaks
                  Thanks Betty. The Ash is perfect for the main part of the project.
                  Today, 09:58 AM
                • cwmagee
                  Reply to Charlie Chaplin
                  cwmagee
                  I like it a lot!
                  Today, 09:03 AM
                • handibunny
                  handibunny
                  For those of us who don't watch TV, what are adjustable glasses?
                  Today, 05:53 AM
                • DWSudekum
                  DWSudekum
                  Interesting Jim. I ordered a set just now... will see what they can do for me in a similar situation as yourself. Thanks for letting me know about them.

DW
                  Today, 04:43 AM
                Working...
                X