Schooner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schooner

A couple of days ago I got an idea for a new type of puzzle. Let me know what you think.
    picture #1. This is a art print from local artist Tim Campbell called "Schooner".
    I cut a wave pattern at the bottom, and in the left hand corner I cut an anchor.

picture #2. Here are a few whimsies I cut into the puzzle, the umbrella is our logo.

picture # 3. Ok, so this is where my idea plays out.
    in the puzzle there are 37 pieces that do not interlock. after finishing the beautiful picture puzzle, you remove the non-interlocking pieces and being prompted with a riddle try to figure out how all those pieces slide together to form another puzzle.

two puzzle in one. Sense I have a tendency to name types of puzzles after my self, like Dee-lightfull puzzles and Dee-spicable puzzles, I wanted to call these "Double-Dees" ,but the rest of the crew voted me down.
    Now I have to come up with a good riddle!
    Attached Files

Ingenious.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Clever!

Carter

Comment

I like it, Dee. I agree that you'll need some kind of riddle or clue to give the assembler an idea of how the push fit pieces go together, especially since the edges are unlikely to be exactly flush with each other.

Maybe some colored dots on the backs of the pieces, or something similar, could help, too.

Very cool!
        Shawn Ferguson

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !

Comment

That is a great puzzle and awesome concept with the second puzzle. Good luck finding a way to get people to do the secondary puzzle.
          Scott

Hawk 220

Comment

Thank you Cater, thank you Mike. Shawn and Sk, I always send a thank you card out with ever order, so to send a card that explains how a "push fit" puzzle works is not a problem. My concern was if you never saw the lobster in the picture above, and you were sitting there with all those pieces how would you go about figuring out what it is. With a little tweaking the fit will be precise, this is where it slows down my cutting, the extremities of the lobster to not need to be perfect, but where they connect it does.
            so here is the riddle we came up with :
            " I'm trapped in this puzzle, can't claw my way out. Later I'll come to dinner, but I'm not a brook trout."
            so if you did not see the lobster picture would you be able to figure it out?

Comment

Cute riddle, Dee.

I think that is enough of a hint to suggest a lobster, but knowing how to get those shapes together into the proper design might still be a toughie without further clues of some sort, I would think.

What if the adjoining borders of each piece had a unique shape instead of a straight edge or gentle curve? Maybe a zig zag edge, little waves, or something similar. That would help the assembler out a bit.

Even with your expert cutting, it might be hard to get the pieces to fit perfectly flush (it's kind of like intarsia, but without the depth shaping ), but they probably don't need to.
              Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Shawn, you are way to kind! If I were doing a child's puzzle I would give a lot more slide together clues. But if you had the idea it was a lobster or crab, you know what that should look like, and it's only 37 pieces. I don't think people will mind a little tough, and we always trade clues for M&Ms.
                I'll work up a different one, would you ask Jeremy if he will test it for me? If he can figure it out it should be good to go.
                I think we are going to call them " Double Trouble Puzzles"
                thanks.
                Dee

Comment

Very cool idea!
                  Dan H

I would rather be friendly to a stranger than be a stranger to my friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Dee Rogers View Post
                    I'll work up a different one, would you ask Jeremy if he will test it for me?
                    The way he is with puzzles, that's about the same as asking if he wants to go to Disney World. I got a resounding "yes" on that....he would love to test it out.
                    Shawn Ferguson

Comment

a very clever concept and puzzle!
                      baeden

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jttheclockman
                        Reply to Just some thoughts
                        jttheclockman
                        Hello Randy

It is not the clock I want it is the scene that goes with it. I did get a pattern on the other scroll saw site you are familar with so I will probably work with that one. At one time pattern makers were available on many sites and some of these sites have gone away so I am looking...
                        Today, 12:13 AM
                      • hotshot
                        hotshot
                        There are designers that kick in from time to time when something tweaks their interest enough to put the effort in.. The pattern would be easy enough to create, but it's not really the type of subject matter I would create.

Another thought, you could probably just blow up picture of the...
                        Yesterday, 11:21 PM
                      • jttheclockman
                        jttheclockman
                        I am guessing there are not many pattern designers here.
                        Yesterday, 11:04 PM
                      • will8989
                        Reply to Dust Collection for my Dewalt 788
                        will8989
                        That sounds something I should check into.
                        Yesterday, 09:09 PM
                      • will8989
                        Reply to Box with rounded sides and inlay
                        will8989
                        I don't know what you charge, but that would go,on my table for $80+. And it would sell.
                        Yesterday, 08:51 PM
                      Working...
                      X