A great puzzle design.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A great puzzle design.

My wife and I were at one of the local paver manufactures recently. I took photos of their displays so we could ponder our selection at home.
    This one would make a good puzzle pattern.
    If someone figures out how to put it on paper I'd like a copy.
    Attached Files
    Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
    Desert Woodcrafters
    Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Here is Escher's version: http://www.wikiart.org/en/m-c-escher/lizard-1

Usually for puzzles you don't want exact tessellations since the pieces can fit in multiple ways. With the right design you can use that for great effect.

Comment

Good catch, Rob....I thought Escher as soon as I saw it as well.
      Shawn Ferguson

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !

Comment

StephenD,

I agree that the lizard pieces could serve as the basis for interlocking jigsaw pieces. A Google search came up with this link: http://danceswithferrets.org/geekblog/?p=154 which is a fascinating read (well, for me at least!). Take a look at the embedded video.
        Ron
        www.turtleteasers.com

Comment

StephenD,

Your post has inspired me to try to create a jigsaw puzzle with pieces on the lines of the lizards in your photo. So far I haven't succeeded with your lizard shape, but I have done something similar.

This puzzle is a development of the approach that I used in my thread http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/scr...zles/53586.htm and is based on a square grid. To create a puzzle based on your lizard shape I would have to use a hexagon grid, and this can be a future project for me. Your lizard shape is more rounded than mine, and would be more practical for a jigsaw puzzle as there would be less tendency for paper-lift due to sharp angles.

This puzzle does interlock satisfactorily but the interlocking is in no way "super"!

It measures 5" square with 64 pieces and is cut from 1/4" 5-ply Baltic birch.
          Attached Files
          Ron
          www.turtleteasers.com

Comment

Ron, if you round your corners instead of squaring them wouldn't that work? If you made a pattern of this may I have a chance at it?
            Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
            Desert Woodcrafters
            Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

this guy has some laser cutting patterns he has made generally available to the public in svg form that you could use as a base - or you could just do something like turtleteasers.

(I post the link under the assumption he is not a direct competitor with this site site/parent but mods feel free to remove if warranted)

MSRaynsford: Lizards

last post on page

Ecshers work was seldom totally symmetrical with some variations throughout his work but the pavers originally shown and the tiles from this guy have been designed to be mixed and matched

I know my abilities as a scroller are not to that level (they are still at novice stage) but I have copies for the day i'm feeling brave.

Comment

TassieBFG,

Many thanks for the link.

Although I am not a fan of laser-cutting, I have to admire his ingenuity.
                Ron
                www.turtleteasers.com

Comment

StephenD,

If I round off my corners then this will affect the other side of the cut which is part of another lizard. Also, I cut the puzzle a strip at a time, which naturally leaves the corners sharp.

This problem will go away if I work out how to use your lizard shape with a hexagon grid.

I will PM you a Word document with my template. If you are unable to use this, let me know and I will see if I can get it to you in another form.
                  Ron
                  www.turtleteasers.com

Comment

StephenD,

I have finally worked out how to cut a jigsaw puzzle using the lizard shapes that you showed as floor tiles.

As this is my first puzzle with these pieces, I made them larger than I usually do. The puzzle measures 5" x 5" and there are just 25 pieces. Now I have some experience with this cut, I will try smaller pieces next time.
                    Attached Files
                    Ron
                    www.turtleteasers.com

Comment

Ron, when you are designing this type of cut do you do that w/ a 'vector' drawing program?

That would seem to be an impossibly difficult thing to cut freehand and keep the pieces so symmetrical.

John
                      I've Got A Lot More To Learn
                      About Leaving Battlegrounds Alone
                      "~~ Molly Venter

Comment

Originally posted by Powakee View Post
                        Ron, when you are designing this type of cut do you do that w/ a 'vector' drawing program?

That would seem to be an impossibly difficult thing to cut freehand and keep the pieces so symmetrical.

John
                        John,

I have written my own special "vector" drawing program. At its heart is a routine which draws a jigsaw-cut profile between two points (x1,y1) and (x2,y2). The lizard cut is made up of 3 profiles (plus their reflections). If you study one of the pieces you will see that each piece has 6 "sides", 3 of which are reflections of the other 3. The pieces are laid out on a hexagonal grid.

The photos show my latest puzzle with smaller pieces. Actually, the pieces are too small for the quality of the Baltic birch that I used, and you can see a lot of chip-out on the back.

The final attachment is a Word page with the template that I used for this puzzle. As you will see I had to use a little freehand cutting towards the edges, but most of the puzzle is cut through the template.
                        Attached Files
                        Ron
                        www.turtleteasers.com

Comment

John,

Sorry, but my Word file is too large to be uploaded as an attachment to this message board. If you are interested in seeing it, send me a PM with your email address and I will send you an email attachment.
                          Ron
                          www.turtleteasers.com

Comment

John,

I am attaching a .pdf file, which has a larger size limit than a .doc file.

This is a first time for me to upload a .pdf file, so I don't know if it will work for you.
                            Attached Files
                            Ron
                            www.turtleteasers.com

Comment

Ron & StephenD,
                              You both inspired me to give this a try. About a year ago I took a photo of a frog that I thought would be a good subject for a lizard tessellation puzzle, so this is what I came up with. It's roughly 5x7, but I used a different approach to the edges and decided to only include the full lizard pieces.

Matt
                              Attached Files

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• MTCowpoke
                                Reply to how many coats of spray poly
                                MTCowpoke
                                After a final coat, I use regular white copier paper to smooth out the finish. And actually before finishing, if a project is all wood, not plywood, i'll wet it down with a damp rag to let the grain rise, and then rub it with plain paper then too.
                                Today, 05:25 PM
                              • Bill Wilson
                                Bill Wilson
                                Once the final coat has been applied and allowed to fully cure, it can be rubbed out with something mildly abrasive, like a brown paper grocery bag. I have several old, worn out sanding sponges that I use. There is barely any abrasive left on them, but they work well for this. You don't want anything...
                                Today, 04:30 PM
                              • dwssr2
                                dwssr2
                                Lightly wipe with miner spirits?...
                                Today, 04:16 PM
                              • dwssr2
                                dwssr2
                                Thanks for the replies, soooo, when the last spray coat of polyurethane is applied, Can the project be sanded? How do you remove the dull finish after sanding? thanks dan in Pa...
                                Today, 04:14 PM
                              • Harmony
                                Reply to Viking Tine
                                Harmony
                                I want to thank all of you for your kind words.

John did three Vikings for me. I thought I would share the third one with you, as you can see this little guy has a battle ax.

Dave...
                                Today, 02:15 PM
                              Working...
                              X