Materials Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Materials Question

I am curious as to what people use as the backing for their puzzles. I have seen lots of posts of people using birch plywood (good quality). Just recently--though--I saw a video where the puzzle maker uses 1/4 inch MDF. I have never used MDF and am curious as what everyone thinks about this for puzzle making?

I am not a puzzle maker but I hate working with MDF for anything. I think it makes too much very fine dust.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I don't like it either, mainly because I don't think it looks quite as nice as plywood, it makes a ton of irritating dust (as mentioned), and worse, it is very high in formaldehyde.
      Shawn Ferguson

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !

Comment

I agree I don't like working with MDF. It can be used for your purpose if you like though. It will need to be sealed prior to being painted.
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

It is easy to cut, but the dust can be a health hazard, it takes paint and like products like it was a sponge (the sealer comment is right on) if it is not sealed and you set a liquid on it it can rise up and cant be sanded flat again, it is cheap and very heavy for the size

It is a personnal choice your health is the bet for sure. I personnal don't use it for any of my scroll projects have used it for work benches (not recomended for the tops due to spills) but even then I wore a mask.

Comment

Thanks. I appreciate the replies. I didn't think about those issues. I think I will stick with plywood for my puzzles.

Comment

Shawn (Scrolling Days) has a thread about Formaldehyde. In it he talks about PureBond plywood, available from Home Depot dot com.

Starting out I suggest you use a good Baltic birch plywood, but as you progress, I am now a big fan of Pure Bond. Just made some ornaments with cedar pure bond. Great stuff!
              Steve in Richmond, VA with a DW-788

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X