A puzzle for the other grandparents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A puzzle for the other grandparents

I took a photo of Toby last summer when He was playing in the sprinkler.
    I had Costco print it on 11x14 paper.
    Here is the puzzle I cut from it.
    1/4 Baltic Birch plywood.
    After gluing the photo to the wood I covered the photo with typing paper and then covered that with the painters tape. I drew a 1" grid on the tape and used that as a guide in cutting the pieces. I used Mikes puzzle blade, only about 5 of them.
    I used different kinds of locks to give them some challenge in putting it together.
    Attached Files
    Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
    Desert Woodcrafters
    Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

That will be very much appreciated.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Great, wonderful, do not dare to try it because I have not found a good glue for paper. I tried the water-based glue, but edges damaged. Beautiful works when someone who knows.

Comment

My first puzzle I Used the blue painters tape for guidelines - making marks down the tape for the horizontal cuts. Then started using only a few strips of tape, and finally just freehand.

The problem with the tape is first removing it- comes off easily but lots of little pieces especially on the knobs. It also lifted assisted in separating the photo paper - which from Costco and walmart are two ply. A little glue solved that, but again another step.

For glue, I used spray adhesive but it sometime came out stringy, so switched to contact cement. A piece of freezer paper helps to separate the two pieces, but I also cut the board larger than the picture since it is virtually impossible (at least for me) to get it on perfectly. Easier to trim the wood.

Comment

Hey, Jim....nice puzzle. I had to look twice to realize it was sprinkler rain in the background rather than snow.

But I have a suggestion. Some time try cutting pieces freehand. You can dispense with all the measuring, rulers and tape and follow the outlines of the figure in the photo. There's no reason pieces have to be the same shape or size. It would be easy to do and (I think) and more phun to assemble. It would also allow for figural pieces if you want them.

Carter

Comment

Thanks for the comments.
            Carter, I have cut that way and found my pieces kept getting smaller and smaller. Cripes I cut the pestle of a flower in the picture as a flower figural. I was getting tooooo carried away cutting like that. I wanted to try this grid method and found it faster because I was cutting larger pieces.
            Also, these are old folks like me and the frustration factor of small pieces might kick in and the hammer come out to "make em fit darnit" .
            Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
            Desert Woodcrafters
            Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

Great puzzle, Stephen, and cute kid!
              Shawn Ferguson

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !

Comment

The other grandparents will love it. Nice job
                WHEN LIFE
                GIVES YOU HANDS
                MAKE HANDMADE
                STAN

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                  Reply to Phone call from son.
                  by will8989
                  Talked to him yesterday after he was coherent. Very fortunately, it was dc current. He said ac current and would have ended differently. And it wasn’t a house. It was a converter box in a marina located on a deck cut into a 20’ high steep bank. They had to climb a ladder to get to it. And they were...
                  Today, 10:53 PM
                • garryatpa
                  Reply to A Bear In The Woods
                  by garryatpa
                  Wow!!!! That is beautiful. Super job of sawing. If I worked it out correctly it took you less than a minute for each opening especially when I look at the amount of time it would take to saw the outline of the bear. Garry
                  Today, 10:43 PM
                • meflick
                  Reply to Phone call from son.
                  by meflick
                  Glad to hear your son is fine Betty but what a scary thing.
                  Today, 01:10 PM
                • meflick
                  Reply to Hello from Central Florida
                  by meflick
                  Welcome to the forum from another Tennessean....
                  Today, 01:04 PM
                • John Smith
                  Reply to Hello from Central Florida
                  by John Smith
                  Thanks guys, I have a lot of HDU left over from my sign business in various thicknesses.
                  HDU doesn't "fuse" or repair itself under heat or friction. Only acrylics and some PVC materials do that. Depending on what part of the world you are in, you would have to google HDU Distributors...
                  Today, 10:01 AM
                Working...
                X