Still working at puzzles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still working at puzzles

A couple of pictures of puzzles I've been trying recently.

First one is about 46 pieces and was done by drawing a pumpkin in Serif and then painting it as a fill in Photoshop. Backing was 1/4 inch Finnish ply.

Second one is just over 120 pieces and is on 1/4 inch MDF.

Both of them were stuck to the backer with 3M 77 spray adhesive.

I'm going to try some of the Aleene's glue next time.

I've still a way to go to get to the dizzy heights of Carter's puzzle cutting, but as he says it's "phun". I must admit that I find cutting the pieces freehand very relaxing.
    Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Where did the attachments go?

Mmm I'm sure that I attached the pics - I'll try again ..
    Attached Files
    Ian

Comment

Nice work. That pumpkin puzzle is just mean
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Lol Carl. in retrospect it could have been meaner - I could have flipped over some of the pumpkins in the fill - and had more pieces.
        Ian

Comment

VERY kewl!!! I really like the pumpkin. Did you put a finish over the whole shebang once you were done?
          Kevin
          Scrollsaw Patterns Online
          Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Looks like your pictures adhered pretty well, Ian, or did you find that you had to fix a lot of lifts?

I like the dog picture, myself. Is that a bone in there?

Pete

Comment

There's no finish over them, Kevin. Just the glossy surface of the photopaper from the inkjet printer.

Pete, I had no lifts at all on the dog pic and only a couple to fix on pumpkin one. I seem to have managed to figure out how much spray to use and how long to leave it before sticking it on the wood. Leaving it for 2 or 3 mins to get tacky seems to give a better result. Once the photo is fixed i leave it for 10 mins before cutting.

Yes that's a bone - and if you look closely there are also the - very badly cut! - letters of WOOF - I was experimenting after reading about figurals in puzzles ...lol If you're interested in puzzles there are a few interesting sites out there with people doing variations on the common or garden jigsaw puzzle .. http://www.bradypuzzles.com/
              http://www.stave.com/
              http://www.mgcpuzzles.com/

Ian
              Ian

Comment

How about this one?

www.puzzleartonline.com

Pete

I'm still tweaking, btw, so haven't really "debuted".

Comment

Hey that is a very nice site Pete ..:-) I'm very impressed.

You have some great puzzles - you've been hiding your light under a bushel- how comethat site isn't listed in your profile ..:-)

Have you really only been making puzzles since last Spring?!!

I've always enjoyed do jigsaw puzzles since I was a kid - the commercially produced ones, not wooden ones. There is an amazing shop called Barney's Newsbox in Grasmere in the English Lake District near to where my mother lives - it's reputedly got the largest range of puzzles in England and I would believe it - the upper floor is stacked to the ceiling with them and they have some puzzles that have 13000 pieces!

I've only just started looked at the history and styles of cutting there are and the history of the wooden puzzles - it's fascinating.

I'd be interested to know how you acquire rights to use other people's photos.
                  Ian

Comment

Ian,

It's true that I have kept a fairly low profile, because I was serious about it being a business from the start (I can't afford hobbies). It's been occupying all my spare time for six months now. Still many things to try, and more dramatic puzzles to make for my portfolio, but I feel I'm ready to accept commissions.

I have looked at many thousands of photos to find the ones on my site, and I really dont have all that many. Amateur photographers are usually flattered to have their work featured, and have been generous with permissions. I have only been turned down once. If I make any money selling puzzles, I will probably start buying royalty-free licenses to save time looking for pictures.

Don't know if you read the page about my grandfather, but his puzzles were my greatest influence. I learned a lot more about techniques by researching on the web. I hadn't previously known about figurals, for example.

The website is brand spanking new, so I haven't put it into my profile. I'll do that right now!

Pete

Comment

Hi Pete;
                      Your site is very nice as is your work and I wish you the best of luck with your venture and all the hard work you are putting into it..
                      Email me at [email protected]
                      I have some information that may be of help for you but is best not discussed here.
                      W.Y.
                      http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

That pumpkin is pretty awesome. Imagine how hard it would be to assemble if it was simply painted orange and green ! lol
                        Jeff Powell

Comment

Yes, Pete I did read the section about your grandfather - fascinating - as is the old puzzles site that you linked to - I hadn't come across that one. I'd be interested in any other puzzle making history sites you may have bookmarked..

I'm also interested in how you decide what puzzles you should cut - is it purely personal preferences or have you seen some research on what people like?

Anyhow,t he very best of luck in your new venture.

Ian
                          Ian

Comment

Ian, sorry to have hijacked your thread a little, didn't mean to.

No, I haven't done any research, but just cut what I like. Actually, my taste runs counter to what people supposedly like in puzzles. I like pictures of people, for example, and I like fine art. According to Anne Williams' puzzle history book, these are no-no's.

Thanks for your kind remarks. I don't know if the world needs another puzzle cutter, so we'll see how it goes.

Pete

Comment

No problem about hijacking the thread, Pete. I'm interested in what you are doing. Sounds like you've put a lot of time and effort into it.

Interesting that you say that Anne Williams book says fine art as a subjects is one of the no-nos. There certainly seem to be a lot of commercial puzzles of this type.

Personally, for what it's worth, I like a lot of the picture you have in the fine art section of your site - in particular the Pre-Raphaelites and Van Gogh. I'm curious as to how the copyright works in these cases - I had a vague recollection, for instance that copyright to Van Gogh paintings was still held by his family.

I like the two old posters you have of the the magicians Kellar and Thurston. Have you looked into finding any of the old travel posters produced by the railway companies or the ones produced by the US National parks such as Zion? I think some of those would make great puzzles if they could be used.

As far as the photgraphic images go I love the wolf and the flamingoes - and the water lily picture - one of the pictures I have framed here is of a water lily I took in Thailand a few years ago :-)

Just been looking at some old pics here and I just decided on the next one I'm going to try cutting BTW - it should be a challenge when done - lol See below. It's my own photo, taken in Nepal - I have a thing about objects forming patterns ..
                              Attached Files
                              Ian

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim Finn
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by Jim Finn
                                The fees here in Lubbock Texas are $45 per year plus $15 per 10' x 10' space each Saturday that I show up. . Crafters are limited to number and type (to avoid duplication, competition) Any kind of set up allowed, meaning, tent or truck or trailer. No insurance requirements, just a sellers permit from...
                                Today, 04:48 PM
                              • MidMich324
                                Reply to Plastic puzzle
                                by MidMich324
                                Using Corel Draw a 10 inch round acrylic jigsaw puzzle was created. It was the cut on an Epilog Laser. Two passes were used to cut thru 1/4 acrylic so as not to melt the plastic. Only one person has put it together so far. It is about 475 pieces. But would really like to try and cut one by...
                                Today, 03:57 PM
                              • RJweb
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by RJweb
                                As far as the Incra miter gauge, if you keep it 1/4 inch away you will be fine, but you will have to adjust it when doing angle cuts, it’s a great miter gauge, RJ...
                                Today, 03:42 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Farmers market "survey"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                                I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                                For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                                Today, 11:14 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                                Today, 11:00 AM
                              Working...
                              X