"Whales and Witches"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Whales and Witches"

Well, the Puzzle Parley is coming up in about a week, and cutters who are attending were asked to come up with a puzzle in theme with "Whales and Witches." The reason for the theme is that the Parley, like last year, is being held in Salem, MA. With it being an oceanfront town, and it's unique historical curiosities, well......you can figure it out.

I really didn't have much cutting time recenty, but here is what I came up with.

"Whales and Witches" , which is 12" x 12" in size, is actually made from 3 different species of wood; the puzzle itself is cut from 1/4" mahogany ply, while the surrounding frame was made from 1/4" afromosia. A unique feature are inlaid whale figurals, which were cut from 1/4" contrasting oak ply.

In the puzzle, the whale figurals gracefully swim along the bottom of the frame, and then magically leap into the puzzle, swimming across the sky, before joining the frame again at the top and continuing on their journey.

You will note that the final whale swimming across the sky has turned briefly into a witch, suggesting that in Salem, the witches live on in the sea in the form of the whales.

I cut many spirals into the puzzle to give the sky a lively appearance, full of magic and swirling wind and spirits, complete with shooting starfish figurals.

On two of the corners of the frame, you will also discover a few other inlaid surprises.

Here is a picture of the puzzle, with the image sharpened a bit to better see the cutting style used.

Here, I've removed the figurals so you can better spot them.

The whale figurals are all slightly different in shape so that each can only fit in one spot, and on the frame, the underlying puzzle interlocks separately from the whales. Each of the whale figurals sailing through the sky have a nice cardstock backing to them, which keeps them flush with the elevation of the picture.

Similarly, the puzzle under the starfish and the "Salem" also interlocks separately.....this was hard to accomplish and required a trickier technique, but if not done so, the inlays would be near impossible to get in and out of the completed puzzle.

Last edited by Scrolling Days; 07-15-2012, 06:34 PM.
    Shawn Ferguson

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !

That's so cool! I love how the witch and whale behind it appear to be on top of the puzzle by interrupting the swirl cut. Very kewl.
    -Richard-

Comment

a first look at the competition...lol.......I love the puzzle and the pod of whales gracefully swimming thru the puzzle.......great job.....u can see my puzzle entitled "the signs of the witches" at the parley.....I'll post pics after the event.

do u suppose they have peanut butter ice cream in Salem or is that strictly an upstate ny thing?.....if so, we have to go...can't wait till Friday!

bob
      "The Journey is the Reward"

Comment

Originally posted by rbpuzzles View Post
        That's so cool! I love how the witch and whale behind it appear to be on top of the puzzle by interrupting the swirl cut. Very kewl.
        I'm glad you noticed that, Richard! I tried to do that throughout the puzzle, where my swirls traveled behind the whale, the witch, elements of the picture, and the shooting starfsh figurals. I wanted them to be continuous, giving the air more of a background depth.

Bob, I can't wait to see your Signs of Salem.....I remember you taking pics around town two years ago, so I'm really anticipating the final project!

I don't remember if they have peanut butter ice cream or not (it would be a darn shame if they didn't ) but I do recall a nice ice cream parlor on the small pedestrian mall which runs perpendicular to the Hawthorne. The kids remember it too!
        Shawn Ferguson

Comment

ok...ur on for ice cream......probably friday night.....and yes i did use the pics from the last parley.....and a lot of photoshopping........i think it looks cool.....but i don't have any whales!!!......oh well....witches or bust....lol

bob
          "The Journey is the Reward"

Comment

I love this puzzle! this is what I aspire to...

Comment

Thanks, Eileen!

Originally posted by avapilot View Post
              ok...ur on for ice cream......probably friday night.....and yes i did use the pics from the last parley.....and a lot of photoshopping........i think it looks cool.....but i don't have any whales!!!......oh well....witches or bust....lol

bob
              I'm sure one of those signs has a picture of a whale somewhere, Bob. If not, you can just ink one in!
              Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Hi Shawn,

Get lots of rest this week, because I have a million???? questions about that incredible work of art, can't wait to see it in Salem.

You are unbeliveable!
                Rick
                Just because the circus left town, doesn't mean the Monkey's off your back

Comment

Another outstanding job Shawn.
                  Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Stupifyingly incredible, Shawn. I'm running out of adjectives for your puzzles.

Have phun in Salem!

Carter

Comment

Thanks, gang!

Rick, you'll have to wear a flag on your head which says "The Framer" so we can recognize you in Salem.....i know what that Bob guy looks like, but we haven't met yet. You'll probably recognize me first because of my avatar, most likely sans hat. . See you in a few days!
                      Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Shawn - absolutely incredible! Creative with a flourish! Great work, great idea.

Good luck w/ them New Englanders. I hear tell they are quite a roudy bunch what with drinking barrels of rum, dumping tea and trashing the governor's mansion.

John
                        I've Got A Lot More To Learn
                        About Leaving Battlegrounds Alone
                        "~~ Molly Venter

Comment

Originally posted by Powakee View Post
                          Shawn - absolutely incredible! Creative with a flourish! Great work, great idea.

Good luck w/ them New Englanders. I hear tell they are quite a roudy bunch what with drinking barrels of rum, dumping tea and trashing the governor's mansion.

John
                          Thanks, John!

I'll be careful for sure.......to find the guys with the best rum!
                          Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Chuck Hans
                            Reply to Big week here
                            by Chuck Hans
                            Congrats on all accounts,
                            I have been retired for 21 years and have no regrets. Hope you and your family take full advantage of the well earned time
                            Today, 08:51 PM
                          • cwmagee
                            Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                            by cwmagee
                            Jim,

Should you ever get bored, you may have found a new retirement/career "Key Board Repair Service"
                            Today, 03:36 PM
                          • Sandy Oaks
                            Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                            by Sandy Oaks
                            So true about letting the blade do to cutting....
                            Today, 02:56 PM
                          • NC Scroller
                            Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                            by NC Scroller
                            I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
                            Today, 11:24 AM
                          • NC Scroller
                            Reply to Big week here
                            by NC Scroller
                            Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop...
                            Today, 11:18 AM
                          Working...
                          X