2nd puzzle woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd puzzle woes

O, here is a sample of the 2nd puzzle since my puzzle cutting comeback. I was actually more comfortable cutting this style than the strip cutting in my other thread. It only took about 3 pieces before felt like I was in a good rhythm.

Problems started after cutting about 3 pieces though. I broke a blade. I never use to break blades, they would just wear out. Didn't know what to think so I just changed to a new blade and tried again. Another couple pieces and SNAP! Another broken blade.
    What the heck?
    I started checking the tension, it seemed alright. Never really had any problems tensioning. The one I did change is a cranked the speed up to almost full speed. i tried this because of the videos I watched on youtube and seeing how fast some of these cutters can cut. I want that!
    So I slowed the speed down to what I use to run it at and gave it another go, with a new blade. Another few pieces and another broken blade. Getting frustrated now.

It's not the saw or the set up, so what could it be? I then realized the baldes I was using wer NOT my Dutchman blades. When I was cutting regularly I use to try blades from many different sources, these were some of the ones I didn't like. I just grabbed what was handy. So, I found my FD blades, chucked one up and off I went.

Didn't break any the rest of the way, but it sure seemed like I was pushing harder than I should. Then it hit me......the wood!

At about the time I stopped really cutting, I had just changed over to the 5-ply Polar, from the Baltic Burch. The Poplar, as I remember, was a lot easier to cut, but the wood was lighter in weight. Also at the time I had samples of other plywood I was trying.

This puzzle happened to be a small piece of one of those samples. Not sure exactly what it is, but it it actually harder to to cut than Birch.

So, now I will probably abort this puzzle and try again using Poplar. I just don't want to have to fight this thing. It would take forever to complete it as it is.

But, I think I got all the bugs worked out and my NEXT one will be a better experience.

This small sample shows my main cutting style. 19 pieces - 3 broken blades - not good.
    Attached Files
    -Richard-

Richard, I use 5-ply poplar from Wildwood Designs for nearly all my puzzles. It seems to be a higher, more consistent quality that others. It cuts easily and, strange thing, it seems to swell just a tiny bit after cutting so the pieces somehow fit tighter.

Great cuts, but, you know me, I would have used the edge of the leaf as the edges for some pieces but, to each his or her own.

Carter

Comment

Richard, I love the story, I love the FD blade also from Mike's Workshop, He's a good guy and always delivers fast. I have lots of days when I wounder," Is it me?" "Or am I pushing harder ". My hands are not the hands of a young girl anymore and it takes awhile to warm up each day, but your cutting is so beautiful you should finish that puzzle, even if it takes awhile.
      I know this is your come back, but back when you were cutting puzzles on a regular basis how long have you been cutting. Your cutting is beautiful and your quality is excellent. Were you doing it as a hobby or were you in business?

Dee
      Last edited by Dee Rogers; 07-13-2012, 01:16 PM.

Comment

You have lucky, I broke three amater machines (lowcost Einhel) when I started & about several dozen of pin end blades. I was on the edge to leave this beautiful hobby......but I have lucky to find this forum. All problems will be solved at the end
        Your cutting is excellent.

Jugoslav scrap&dust maker from Serbia

Comment

2nd puzzle - 2nd chance

Originally posted by From Belgrade Serbia View Post
          You have lucky, I broke three amater machines (lowcost Einhel) when I started & about several dozen of pin end blades. I was on the edge to leave this beautiful hobby......but I have lucky to find this forum. All problems will be solved at the end
          Your cutting is excellent.

Jugoslav scrap&dust maker from Serbia
          Thank you.
          This forum seems to have magical powers. When you are feeling like giving up, just come here for inspiration.

Originally posted by Carter-Johnson View Post
          Richard, I use 5-ply poplar from Wildwood Designs for nearly all my puzzles. It seems to be a higher, more consistent quality that others. It cuts easily and, strange thing, it seems to swell just a tiny bit after cutting so the pieces somehow fit tighter.

Great cuts, but, you know me, I would have used the edge of the leaf as the edges for some pieces but, to each his or her own.

Carter
          I'm not exactly sure where the Poplar I have came from. My mom found it years ago (she also cuts puzzles occasionally), and we still have 15-20 sheets to get through. I don't think I notice the swelling on mine, but then again I don't think I cut very many using it. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

I've cut only a few using color-line cutting, but mine were not interlocking, as yours are. I've never tried your way before.

Originally posted by Dee Rogers View Post
          Richard, I love the story, I love the FD blade also from Mike's Workshop, He's a good guy and always delivers fast. I have lots of days when I wounder," Is it me?" "Or am I pushing harder ". My hands are not the hands of a young girl anymore and it takes awhile to warm up each day, but your cutting is so beautiful you should finish that puzzle, even if it takes awhile.
          I know this is your come back, but back when you were cutting puzzles on a regular basis how long have you been cutting. Your cutting is beautiful and your quality is excellent. Were you doing it as a hobby or were you in business?

Dee
          Dee, thank you! Actually I did try to do it as a business for a while, even had (still have actually) a website and roadside shop. Never really took off enough to allow me to quit my regular job though and all i did was get burnt out on making puzzles to satisfy others and never had enough time to do stuff I wanted.
          I originally started in 1996 and went for about 10 years, then met my future wife and things changed in my life (all good, but in a family way) and just didn't have the time any more. Then financial problems hit, like a lot of people, my wife got laid off and she went back to school to get her degree. She got it now, and is gainfully employed.Now, things have settled down a bit, and eveything seems to have slowed down and I am not as stressed out.

Now I am going to be devoted to cutting puzzles for my own pleasure. If I take on a commission it will have to be somethnig I know I will enjoy cutting, not just for money.

My website is woefully outdated, but I have been making an attempt to update it with css coding instead of html. I've got a long way to go.

Here are a couple of quick pic's of my 2nd attempt at a 2nd puzzle. This time I'm using the Poplar. I jumped the speed of the saw up a little. So far, 42 pc's and still the first blade.

Like the strip cut puzzle, it's just a square edge puzzle and will include 1 figural, which I will include when I get close to finishing.. My main focus is to practice my regular cutting style. Some of the pc's came out a bit big and the knobs seem "clunky" to me, but I attribute that the Poplar being easier to cut and me not having 100% control right now. I will get there though.
          Attached Files
          -Richard-

Comment

The cuts are really nice, keep it up!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X