My first puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first puzzle

Every thread seems like my first this and first that... and it is because I am just starting. =) Here is my first puzzle that I just finished cutting... haven't sanded or finished at all yet. My kids will have fun with this one.
    Attached Files

Great start!!!

Carter

Comment

That's a great puzzle, I'm sure your kids will love it. Where did you get the pattern or did you make it yourself?

Comment

The pattern came from here:
        Free Scroll Saw Patterns by Arpop: Oregon State Puzzle Pattern

I have a question on finishing... what is the best way to finish a puzzle? Spray on urathane with the pieces together? Each piece individually? Should I finish the sides of the pieces... the back? Not sure what to do from here lol.

-brad

Comment

Do nothing, Brad. If you've sprayed it with a shiny or protective coating before you began, fine. If not, I'd say let it alone after you're done. I simply sand the back and wipe off both sides with a damp sponge.
          ....and then start another one. Phun!

Carter

Comment

great job on your first puzzle.....

bob
            "The Journey is the Reward"

Comment

Great puzzle. I can't remember the ever seeing someones first puzzles that has an embedded name like yours.

Bob

Comment

Looks good, Brad.

For a stand-up type puzzle (as opposed to a jigsaw puzzle with a picture pasted on it) I usually pre-sand the board to 220, and after cutting I give individual pieces a quick pass through a mop sander to soften the edges a bit. For finish I dunk the pieces in Danish oil, wipe it off, and let them dry on a rack made of crumpled aluminum foil.

--Rob

Comment

I do pretty much the same thing Rob does, except I use paper towels instead of aluminum foil, and I give the oil a chance to dry before wiping it off.

Take a scrap piece of the same wood and try dipping it in Danish oil. Maybe you'll like it better that way. It brings out the colors in the wood and protects from oils in fingerprints.

Nice job!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X