Aleene's Tacky Glue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aleene's Tacky Glue

for all you aleene's users i have a ?....i just opened a new bottle of the glue and noticed that the consistency is like toothpaste.....the previous bottle was more liquid.....i purchased the newer bottle last month at michael's when they had a sale.....and i has never been opened till tonight....

has anybody else experienced this with aleene's glue?..

bob
    "The Journey is the Reward"

I haven't had much experience using liquid Aileen's, Bob, so I can't say.....but it sounds like something funky is going on with your glue. Is there an expiration date on it?

On a slightly related note, I experimented with some Aileen's spray on glue recently and had some pretty nice results with it.
    Shawn Ferguson

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !

Comment

I do not use this type of glue either, but I have had similar issues before. I usually just add a little water to it (but I use water based wood glue), in order to get the consistency that I need, when it is a little thick for my liking.

Good Luck

Kam

Comment

Normally glues have an open shelf life of 1 year but last almost forever in an unopened container.

Here is their web site. I would contact them.

Contact Us
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I've used ATG for about 15 years. Some batches do seem thicker than others, but they all spread thin and even pretty easily with a plastic scraper....at least for me. If it won't do that, chuck it and get another - or another Tacky Glue brand.

Carter
          Last edited by Carter-Johnson; 04-10-2012, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Did it get frozen at some time?
            Roger

Comment

I'd take it to the store and ask for an exchange it sounds like old stock to me.
              "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
              Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Originally posted by wood-n-things View Post
                I'd take it to the store and ask for an exchange it sounds like old stock to me.
                I would take it back too. Most retailers rotate their stock to prevent problems like this.

Most of them will replace a product that is defective, at least the good ones will.
                Stoney aka Al

This gettin old stuff ain't for sissies!

Comment

thanks for the comments....i did use it and it works ok...and i sorta like the toothpaste like consistency......and i did notify aleen's....no response yet......but i think it will take it back.....

bob

Comment

I have a bottle of the "original" flavor here (in the gold colored bottle) and while not quite as thick as toothpaste, it does require a putty knife to apply. I tried using a piece of cardboard to spread the glue but it required something stiffer.

Comment

Hi Bob

I bought some ATG and found that it is a PVA (polyvinylacetate) and can buy generic PVA in bulk for much cheaper. I do use smaller bottles of the stuff decanted (including the ATG bottle). PVA is water based and the consistency does vary, but it always spreads well even when thick. I use either plastic scrapers or small rubber rollers to apply it.

Regards
                      Sue

Comment

thanks again guys....I actually use a scraper/squigge thingee to apply the glue....thanks for the heads up on the pva.......

bob

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X