Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple newbie puzzle questions

Hi all,
    I am going to try my hand at cutting some puzzles.

First question, when you mount the picture, do you use a larger piece of wood then trim it to size?

Second question, if you do trim it what do you use? Scrollsaw , or other type saw, does it matter?

Lastly, do you use the actual calendar page or a copy of it?

Thanks in advance.
    loving my DW788

I mount to a larger piece of wood and then trim it on the scrollsaw. I rarely use straight lines around the edges.

I'd use the actual calendar page. Having the physical page printed to a decent size is the main advantage I see to using a calendar. Copying it is a pain and will lose already poor image quality. If you're making your own print then I'd choose a different image source. You can use your own photos or drawings, or there is a lot of excellent public domain or inexpensively licensed art.

I usually have my photos or drawings printed at Costco. They're convenient, reasonably inexpensive, and RC paper works very well for puzzles without having to mess with overcoats or worry about ink running.

--Rob

Comment

Did you check the tutorial from Carter Johnson: New Page 1
      He also has a video:
      cutting jigsaw puzzles - YouTube
      FD Mike
      SD Mike

Comment

I agree with Rod. You can trim the edges straight if you like, but recognize the fact that those straight lines will NOT be perfect. It's almost impossible to cut perfectly straight lines for 12" or so with a scroll saw without a little waviness. But who cares? To be safe. cut a wavy line to begin with. It'll make the edge pieces more difficult to identify.

Then just start cutting....and have phun!

Carter

Comment

Thanks guys
          Appreciate the inputs and encouragement.

All the best

Chris
          loving my DW788

Comment

I end up doing it both ways, depending on the print and wood I have on hand. If the wood is larger than the print, I mount the print then just trim it, resulting in a puzzle blank with wavy edges with the scrollsaw prior to beginning the puzzle. If the print is larger than the wood I use an exacto knife to cut off the excess image. I cut wavy edges around the edge of the puzzle 99.9% of the time. Good luck with your puzzle cutting.

Comment

My puzzles are mostly 16x20, so I mount on a slightly larger board then use my table saw to trim it down.

Comment

I mount on a slightly large piece and the use the table saw to make it straight. Or i do as Carter suggests just make it wavy so it is harder to do.

Comment

I have gone both ways and found it a little easier to avoid glue getting on the print if I have the print slightly bigger than the board but it takes just a little more care to have the print smaller than the board. Eileen pretty well sums up my approach.
                  Bob

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• tgiro01
                    Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                    by tgiro01
                    One issue I found with the insert that comes with the saw was the areas they smoothed for the kickback pawls. If the insert is leveled correctly, those areas are sitting about 1/32-inch below the table. I had a problem with some small pieces getting caught and jamming because of that. Sawstop's recommendation...
                    Today, 08:18 AM
                  • Rolf
                    Reply to Interesting pallet
                    by Rolf
                    That is a definit rescue for a special project. I rarely get or use any pallet wood. But did use some from the pallet that my drill press was on. It looked like pine but was was very hard, carefully checked for nails and ran it through the drum sander with some 80 grit to get rid of any small grit.
                    Today, 08:16 AM
                  • Quartz43
                    Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                    by Quartz43
                    I wish I could post the video as it looks better with the lights blinking. I used some red clear plastic behind the eyes and nose. It was a fun project.
                    Yesterday, 07:29 PM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to Interesting pallet
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    Maybe a star shining to tell us something? That piece of wood is a very special piece! Good eye.
                    Yesterday, 07:27 PM
                  • Misouri Wayne
                    Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                    by Misouri Wayne
                    Tough situation. Just have to take it one day at a time.
                    Yesterday, 04:55 PM
                  Working...
                  X