My second try at freehand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My second try at freehand

I've tried it again. A little morethat looks like a head and neck connection.Some pieces are small and some are larger. I tried not to have four corners meet, but after getting it back to gether I see a few. What do you think. (Good or Bad) Don
    Attached Files

Looks like you are improving to me. Finding your cutting style will come in time. Having similarly sized pieces will come with practice as well. Don't fret over it.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Looks good, wish I could do it that well. Even just drawing the lines/pattern using the mouse is too hard for me!

Comment

I like it. The more you do the easier it gets. I keep my first puzzle for reference and cannot understand why I struggled with some of the pieces.
        Bob

Comment

Coming along. Very good. You even have some color-line cutting at the left. Don't worry about pieces having to be the same or even a similar size. I don't know where that rule originated but it makes no sense to me. Why not make the pieces all sorts of different sizes?

And Block, this is about freehand cutting. Why are you drawing pattern lines at all? Forget it, especially if you consider it to be hard. This should be phun!

Carter

Comment

Thanks Carter and the others. I figured I should get busy and learn how to do freehand cutting, because my April scrollsaw meeting I'll demo on how to cut a puzzle freehand. I'm enjoying learning how to freehand. I've used a scrollsaw for 24 years and I'm still learning different techique. Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Frenchie

Comment

Looks nice and solid. I've only done 4 freehand but I've about +30 more to go. Over ambitious fool that I am bought 3 calendars at the $1 store. How cruel of one to have 16 months. I finally have a puzzle I can pick up by a corner and not self disassemble.

I wonder. Did you start on the left or the right? Was it, "I started with the bigger pieces and became increasingly confident." or "I'm getting tired of ths puzzle and want to hurry up and get done."

In any event great work. See, you can do it.
              Sawdust King

If there is one thing I can make perfect every time it is sawdust.

Comment

Sawdust; I started on the left and went down, I think as I got closer to the right side, I got bigger pieces. I'll keep playing with it until I get as good as Cater(wink, wink) Frenchie

Comment

A suggestion: Try cutting triangular pieces once-in-a-while. Only three locking tabs. Start the triangular piece at a random point along an adjoining edge. It will force you to invent other, varied shapes.

C

Comment

It looks way better than my second attempt. I threw the first 10 to 15 puzzles away they were that bad. You should be really proud of your work.

Comment

I doubt I could have free hand what I'm going to do (I'm really bad at drawing). I'm using Steve Good's Valentine's Day heart pattern, but modified it so the pieces don't meet at 4 corners. I also moved the heart shaped piece and duplicated it so each kid's head is inside a heart shaped piece. I also cut two hearts outside of the main heart/puzzle to make it a bit harder to put together (I'm going to drill a hole insitead of cutting in from the side so that the outter part can be kept/used). I never could have cut the hearts very well freehand, and cutting the pieces near the hearts (they are close together) free hand "in real time" would have been tricky.
                      The kid's image is there just temporarily so I couod make sure their heads were int he hearts. Started running out of room - big heart is near the top of the puzzle, not much border left, but if I moved the image up (or the puzzle down), then the kids' heads got to close to the border.
                      Here's the first try and latest.
                      In the first try I had not finished the hearts at the bottom yet. The pieces all met at 4 corners, and the border above the heart is too narrow:
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Block; 03-10-2012, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Excellent puzzle! There's nothing hard and fast about the four-corner idea. That's just my feeling. I think the more recent puzzle looks much better than the first.

C

Comment

Just a tip...

Here is the preferred way to post photos. This method will apply a thumbnail so that messages load faster, keeping those who are still on dial up in mind.

If it is a new thread scroll down below the message box to additional options and look for manage attachments,Click on Manage Attachments, click Browse, find your file name on your computer, click it, then click Upload. It may take a few seconds to load.
                          Once you see the file name under current attachments you can close the window.
                          If you want you can Preview Post (a wise choice) then if all is well, click on Submit reply.

If you are uploading a picture to an existing thread (conversation)
                          Click on the Go Advanced button under the reply box, Click on Manage Attachments, click Browse, find your file name on your computer, click it, then click Upload. It may take a few seconds to load.
                          Once you see the file name under current attachments you can close the window.
                          If you want you can Preview Post (a wise choice) then if all is well, click on Submit reply.
                          Good luck
                          "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                          Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I was wondering about that (thumbnails versus images). I figured thumbnails are a hassle to click on but you make a good point. I'll try to modify the post.

Comment

Glued the new print on with 3M77. Sprayed it only on the wood (which still had 3M77 on it from the first try), then waited about 2 minutes. Too loud to cut it at 12:30AM...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                                Pegas Large Scrollsaw Table
                                by cwmagee
                                A couple of months ago I ordered the Large Pegas Scroll Saw Table for my EX21 from Denny which I received about a week later. I installed it immediately and made a few test cuts. Since then I have been busy with several Urban renewal projects around house as well putting the yard to bed for the winter....
                                Today, 07:28 PM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Rolf
                                Back in the late 90's I bought a Incra 2000 Miter gauge. Incredibly precise. The problem was that it only adjusted in one direction, It rarely gets used. It locks in to half degrees. More recently I bought a Kreg fence which has a pin that precisely locates the frequently used angles.
                                That is...
                                Today, 08:15 AM
                              • Jimern
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by Jimern
                                The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                                Today, 06:29 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by will8989
                                The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                                Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                                Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                              Working...
                              X