My first free hand puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first free hand puzzle

Here is my first attempt on free hand puzzle cutting. I started out with a 4x6 pic first. I tried not to let four corners come together. I need comments good or bad, then I'll know what to do next time. Any help is welcome. Thanks Don
    Attached Files

After showing this, I notice I should have rounded the connecting piece more. So it would hold together better. Don

Comment

Way to go, Don. First attempts always produce pieces larger than you might have cut with a pattern, but practice will show how you can vary the sizes, I also urge you to try some color-line cutting, like with the waterfall and the tree branch at left. It will open up more options.

Keep it up..... Carter

Comment

Great job. Looking at the back it seems that many of your pieces don't interlock. That is fine. Some puzzles are that way some are interlocking. Personally, I like interlocking. If I realize that a section needs to be moved it is easier to drag (or pickup) the group and move readily. You may try making your tabs similar to the human head. The neck is narrower than the head. Otherwise hanging piece theives wouldn't be possible.

I saw one puzzle that was strictly smooth sided and painted all black. There were curves, just no tabs.
        Sawdust King

If there is one thing I can make perfect every time it is sawdust.

Comment

Sawdust; I notice after I got done that it needed the tabs more rounded. I'll be trying another soon. I can't use the same picture, like a knot head I used the only copy I had. Don

Comment

Hi, Don...looks great!

As you practice your "locks," you'll find that your necks are eventually getting smaller than the heads, and that is the important part to make them interlock. Don't be afraid to experiment with different style locks as well. You can make them round, square, heart-shaped, club-shaped, or whatever you want. Some locks will be effective, even if not head-and-neck style. For instance, cutting a lock with is simply a curl shape or a bend (think elbow) can also be very effective.

Just mess around with different ways of doing it, and I think you'll find that it keeps the hobby really fun.
            Shawn Ferguson

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !

Comment

Thanks Shawn; I was having fun just trying it for the first. I'll keep some of your pointer in mind on the next one. Don

Comment

I remember my first attempt at free hand. I had watched Carter's videos about three times and had such confidence.

That 24 square inches of picture really humbled me. But, I did a couple of others and regain some of that confidence, but still have to really think as I am cutting. Have a few to do when the weather breaks--for good.
                Jim
                When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

That looks super....

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                    The bags seem easier on the surface.
                    But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                    Today, 03:24 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                    by will8989
                    Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                    Today, 10:32 AM
                  • Sandy Oaks
                    by Sandy Oaks
                    As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                    Today, 09:46 AM
                  • NC Scroller
                    Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                    by NC Scroller
                    I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                    Today, 07:42 AM
                  • NC Scroller
                    by NC Scroller
                    I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                    Today, 07:39 AM
                  Working...
                  X