"Revolving Revelations" Jigsaw Puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Revolving Revelations" Jigsaw Puzzle

"Revolving Revelations" was recently cut for my son Jeremy, as a gift for his 9th birthday. The art is from a print I purchased, and is approximately 18" x 9", and mounted on 1/4" oak ply. I used a bit of a swirl-like cutting style for this one, which I think went well with the space theme, and since there is quite a bit of similar looking background between the planets, I decided to cut the pieces on the larger side. In the end, the puzzle consisted of 168 pieces, with 27 Figurals.

Since I'm a bit of a science fiction and fantasy nerd, I really had a lot of fun going at this one!

Each of the planets and Earth's moon in the artwork contain Figurals of the astronomical symbols which have represented them throughout antiquity. In fact, some of the symbols can be traced to forms found in late Greek papyrus writings.

Here, you can see the symbols for Saturn and Jupiter. Saturn was a Roman god, presiding over agriculture and harvest, and the symbol represents him holding his large, curved sickle. Jupiter was the Roman god of sky and thunder, and the symbol is believed to represent perhaps his thunderbolt, or the letter zeta, for Zeus, who was the Greek god analogous to Jupiter.

Although the planet Uranus is represented by a symbol used in alchemy for the metal platinum, some believe it is a cross between the symbols for the Sun and Mars, since Uranus was a sky god. Neptune, the Roman god of the sea, was always depicted carrying a trident, and that influence can readily be seen in the planet's symbol as well.

Shawn Ferguson

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !

Venus, the planet seen on the top of the picture below, carries a symbol which represents a hand mirror, fitting for Venus, the Roman god of love, beauty and fertility. The symbol for Mercury is that of the caduceus which the winged god always carried. Through it's use in alchemy, it has also come to denote the elemental metal of the same name.

The symbol for Mars, which many of us will quickly recognize as that of the male gender, is actually a depiction of the Roman god of war's round shield and his spear.

Finally, the symbol for our own planet Earth represents a globe, bisected in two directions, giving it both an equator and a meridian.

But what about Pluto?! ......What's that? ...... It's not here because it is no longer considered to be a planet?

Well, it wouldn't be fair to ignore a friend we all grew up with.

There he is!

Last edited by Scrolling Days; 02-19-2012, 03:19 PM.
    Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Nicely done as always Shawn...I removed those unwanted posts for you.
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

But that's enough of that astronomical/astrological Roman-Greco stuff! Let's have some fun!

Jeremy has hopped on a rocket ship and is out to explore the stars. I wonder if he'll find evil Quazars to do battle with, or perhaps he'll discover the secret hidden planet of Doofenshmirtz, with it's two moons, Phineas and Ferb!

While he's gone, though, two sinister flying saucers observe the Earth with curiosity. They are looking for a messy bedroom to land nearby where they can hide out in.

No worries, though. On the other side of the planet, the Starship Enterprise boldly rests in orbit. Stardate 02051.2.

Farther off into space, a beautiful double nebula has attracted the attention of Buff the Magic Dragon.

Last edited by Scrolling Days; 02-19-2012, 03:17 PM.
        Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Many other cosmic Figurals have come into the puzzle in appreciation of the interstellar theme.

And a star Figural has located itself in an appropriate position as it shoots across the night sky.

Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Here is the puzzle with all of the Figurals taken out......

Finally, here is the box which contains the cosmic adventure......

Nine good years spent on Earth.....and looking forward to the years ahead spent on this planet....and beyond!

Last edited by Scrolling Days; 02-19-2012, 03:21 PM.
            Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Thanks for the help, Mike.....I got all discombobulated as I tried to put this thread together.
              Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Out-of-this-world beautiful, Shawn

Carter

Comment

super nice, Shawn - there really isn't much more to say
                  http://www.puzzlesdelmeeple.com

Comment

AMAZING!!!!!!.....wonderful puzzle and story...i just loved the planet figurals and your explanation......wish jeremy a happy birthday and we'll see you guys in july at the parley.....super great job and i really like the image.....

bob
                    "The Journey is the Reward"

Comment

Absolutely stunning Shawn...!!!!!!
                      what a fantastic adventure it will be to assemble...!!!

I never realized that Pluto was Greek. And all this time I thought he came from Walt's imagination...
                      ...Ya learn something new every day...<smirk>

Thanks for sharing with us Shawn...
                      Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
                      No task is too tedious for Art.
                      Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                      Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Happy Birthday Jeremy, I'm sure you will have fun putting your Dad's gift together.
                        What fantastic cutting Shawn.......love the narration that goes along with your puzzle projects.
                        Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

As always, a fabulous puzzle!

Comment

Wow! Wow!

It's all fun
                            Terry
                            Craftsman 18"
                            Delta 46-460 lathe

https://www.facebook.com/SillyLillyBowsAndMore

Comment

Sure was allot of Love cut into that puzzle
                              Hawaiilad
                              Larry

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                                Pegas Large Scrollsaw Table
                                by cwmagee
                                A couple of months ago I ordered the Large Pegas Scroll Saw Table for my EX21 from Denny which I received about a week later. I installed it immediately and made a few test cuts. Since then I have been busy with several Urban renewal projects around house as well putting the yard to bed for the winter....
                                Yesterday, 07:28 PM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Rolf
                                Back in the late 90's I bought a Incra 2000 Miter gauge. Incredibly precise. The problem was that it only adjusted in one direction, It rarely gets used. It locks in to half degrees. More recently I bought a Kreg fence which has a pin that precisely locates the frequently used angles.
                                That is...
                                Yesterday, 08:15 AM
                              • Jimern
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by Jimern
                                The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                                Yesterday, 06:29 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by will8989
                                The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                                10-20-2020, 11:10 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                                10-20-2020, 10:31 PM
                              Working...
                              X