Double cutting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double cutting

I know what double cutting is and what it is supposed to do.
    But can anyone explain in simple terms how to do it? Thanks.
    Will

Explain what you mean by double cutting. I've not heard the term. Do you mean inlay? Do you have a picture of an example or a link to one?
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Do you mean stack cutting. Like 2 or 3 pieces stacked.
      FD Mike
      SD Mike

Comment

Double cutting as in cutting a very large puzzle.Making it more manageable to cut,by cutting itto smaller sections.I hope I explained that right.
        Will

Comment

Now I understand what you mean. You can either cut out sections that go together by color line cutting (cutting around the shape of an item in the picture) and separating them that way or you can cut into sections by doing a continuous cut but remembering to place interlocking tabs along the lines.

There is no rule that I am aware of about how or where to divide a picture so it is smaller in size except remember to add your interlocking tabs and most of us prefer to do the color line cutting and we do not like to cut through a face or an eye of a person or animal. Most images will have natural dividing points in them, which if you sit back and look you can see natural breaks. Buildings, sky line, waters edge, tree branch, birds wings etc.

Hope that helps....Try not to be too locked in by geometry though. This is your project and shape of things to come are strictly up to you. The recipient has no idea what it is "supposed" to look like only what it "does" look like in the final form.
          "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
          Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

The only reason I know for what you describe is when the puzzle you are cutting is wider or longer than the throat of your saw. Then it's necessary. (I suppose one other reason might be that your mid-section doesn't have enuf flexibility to bend inward to accommodate the turning wood.)

My suggestion for a wide puzzle that does fit is to stand up when cutting the first few pieces until you get some trimmed away.

Carter

Comment

Will - what you are describing is better call "subdividing". I subdivide puzzles frequently just because I like handling smaller sections. I've also been forced to use it by the limitations of saw's throat depth. The only advice I can give is to make the subdividing cut "interesting", i.e. don't just a cut a straight line with some interlocks on it. Cut using your normal style and no one will see the the subdividing cut in the finished product.

Now double cutting - that's a special techinque used to make two or more pieces have the same exact interlock(s), hence the pieces are interchangable. That's a completely different discussion
              http://www.puzzlesdelmeeple.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                by Linda In Phoenix
                It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                Today, 06:47 PM
              • Linda In Phoenix
                Reply to Plastic puzzle
                by Linda In Phoenix
                Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
                Today, 06:38 PM
              • Jim Finn
                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                by Jim Finn
                The fees here in Lubbock Texas are $45 per year plus $15 per 10' x 10' space each Saturday that I show up. . Crafters are limited to number and type (to avoid duplication, competition) Any kind of set up allowed, meaning, tent or truck or trailer. No insurance requirements, just a sellers permit from...
                Today, 04:48 PM
              • MidMich324
                Reply to Plastic puzzle
                by MidMich324
                Using Corel Draw a 10 inch round acrylic jigsaw puzzle was created. It was the cut on an Epilog Laser. Two passes were used to cut thru 1/4 acrylic so as not to melt the plastic. Only one person has put it together so far. It is about 475 pieces. But would really like to try and cut one by...
                Today, 03:57 PM
              • RJweb
                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                by RJweb
                As far as the Incra miter gauge, if you keep it 1/4 inch away you will be fine, but you will have to adjust it when doing angle cuts, it’s a great miter gauge, RJ...
                Today, 03:42 PM
              Working...
              X