Just finished some new tray puzzles for 2 yr. olds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished some new tray puzzles for 2 yr. olds

I turned the standup Dino Puzzle into a tray puzzle using 1/2 in Birch ply. The letters are 3/8 in Birch ply set in and glued because they are too small. I inset and glued the google eyes on the Monkey so the 2 y.o can't pick them out. I used a wood burning tip to outline the face, hands, feet, and bananna. The 2 halves glued together are 1/4 in. birch ply. The paint is acrylic as well as the gloss coating. Natural Danish Oil was used on the boards.
    The other stand up puzzles were for a 3 and a 6 year old. the Dinosaur is made from black walnut and the dog from aeromatic cedar.
    Attached Files

I love them, especially the tray puzzles. Where did you get the pattern for the monkey tray or did you pattern it yourself?

Comment

Eileen, I found the monkey picture online. I designed the dog puzzle from a picture.

Comment

Nice work. I have done only a couple of stand up puzzles but wasn't entirely pleased with the fit although I tried not to force the blade. What blade did you use on those?
        Bob

Comment

Bob,
          I use a #5 Reverse. The wood is 3/4 to 7/8 in. thick. I sand the pieces with 320 so the cut gets slightly larger, but the edges are not sharp. I tried the #3R, but to me, it was hard to see the accent cuts and you have to go really slow. It is very easy to push too hard and the pieces will not slide together right. (It will cut at an angle and one side will be larger). Even with the #5 you can easily cut at an angle especially with hard wood.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X