hand painted puzzle in progress...great horned owl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hand painted puzzle in progress...great horned owl

I love to paint nature pictures, especially birds, and I love to scroll, so combining the two passions has become a favorite past-time of mine. I'm not especially good at either one but it's in my blood.
    This owl is done on regular copy paper. I am still in the progress of painting the image and the background. First I am going to glue the image to my wood, leaving the edges of the paper about an 1/8 inch short of the edge of the wood. That way the background color will be painted to the edge of the wood instead of the paper coming right to the edge where it could fray during the cutting process. When I am done painting I will begin the process of cutting it into a puzzle.
    Yeah, I know I could do the same thing with a printed image, and I've done that. But it wasn't near as challenging or fun.
    For those who are interested, I will be posting various stages until the puzzle is complete.
    Thanks for looking. All comments and suggestions welcome.
    Attached Files
    "Live as though Christ died yesterday, arose this morning, and is coming back tomorrow."

I love it! Creativity solves its own challenges! Can't wait to see the finished piece.

John
    I've Got A Lot More To Learn
    About Leaving Battlegrounds Alone
    "~~ Molly Venter

Comment

Did you paint that Owl? If so I would say a lot better than "not especially good" hehe. Either way its a great picture and looking forward to the WIP.
      The Journey Is Everything.

http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

My Google+

Comment

I so wish i had your talent. Great job so far.
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Originally posted by Sunlion View Post
          Did you paint that Owl? If so I would say a lot better than "not especially good" hehe. Either way its a great picture and looking forward to the WIP.
          Yes, I painted the owl. Computers and television make everything look better.
          "Live as though Christ died yesterday, arose this morning, and is coming back tomorrow."

Comment

Here is my second step. I've cut and burned the edges of the image, then glued it to my wood. It looks rough now but when the background is painted, well...you'll see in the next step. I'm not sure yet what the background is going to look like but something fairly dark, I'm sure, to set off the owl.
            Attached Files

Comment

I have what is probbaly a very stupid question as i know nothing about painting a picture such as this but here it goes anyway why could you not sand and seal your wood and then paint the owl right on the wood? it seems to this uneducated mind that this would solve the problem of the edges of the paper fraying when cut as i said just an uneducated mind trying to think hehehe
              Erssel

Comment

Erssel, that is anything but stupid question. I have and still do paint images directly onto the wood, but sometimes I use a pattern printed on paper so that I can keep everything. It's faster and allows me to do experiments. You're right, though. Painting directly on to the wood is way to, time permitting.

Comment

love the image...can,t wait to see the puzzle...

bob
                  "The Journey is the Reward"

Comment

Very nice painting. Very nice.
                    Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
                    Desert Woodcrafters
                    Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

...and very, very very nice owl painting Bubbantenn! I like also painting and scrollsawing, but I never saw puzzle throught my painting. I paint directely on the wood, but I put a "primer" (gesso from jo sonja's painting: Mediums & Grounds / Jo Sonja's / Products / Chroma). After I can paint like I paint on canvas or paper. Why you don't test a painting directely on the wood after sawing like Erssel told you in threat #7?
                      Ok...I like your owl! How do you do so beautiful owl painting? You tell about pattern... I never use pattern, but pattern don't make the painting. Congratulations Bubbantenn!
                      Best regards

Simon MARTIN
                      From France

Visit My Gallery:Simon's Album

You can also look at my pyrography galery: Martin's Album

Comment

Bubba:
                        Thanks for answering my question i now understand your thinking on it and it makes a lot of sense and BTW your painting of the owl is outstanding i just wish i had the talent to do it
                        Erssel

Comment

The pattern is just a black and white guide line so that everything is in perspective. I can erase and re-position pencil lines better on paper than I can on wood. Besides, I can use the paint pattern over and over again just by printing another copy.
                          Here is a sample of what I use to paint my images.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Please keep posting. This looks like a great puzzle in the making.
                            Bob

Comment

You are one talented person Bubba.........sweeeeeet looking owl.
                              Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X