christmas projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• christmas projects

I just wanted to share a couple of projects I did as Christmas gifts. I stack-cut two sealife puzzles (one for me, one for a gift) and four ornament designs. They're nowhere near perfect, but I was pleased and my gift recipients were impressed. I have some snowmen puzzles in progress now.

I increased the size of the sealife puzzle pattern to make it easier for a newbie to cut. I also decreased the size of one ornament so it would better match the others, and simplified the star pattern because it had too many frets for my level of skill and patience.

Things I learned on these projects:
    - Thin plywood doesn't work well for fretwork. At least, not 'til I gain better control.
    - Don't get the drill head too close when drilling blade-entry holes or pieces of the pattern will be whirled right off.
    - Acrylic paint and oil finish literally do not mix.
    - Change the blade often. However often I think, more than that.
    - Thread the blade from the top, not the bottom.
    - Make sure the pattern is well stuck.
    - Hot glue is not the best choice for making stacks.
    - Even "odorless" mineral spirits smell pretty bad.

Cheers
    Mindy

I moved your thread to a more appropriate forum to maximize traffic and get you more responses to your post.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wood-n-things; 12-27-2011, 11:09 AM.
    "Take something you love, tell people about it, bring together people who share your love, and help make it better. Ultimately, you'll have more of whatever you love for yourself and for the world." - Julius Schwartz, DC Comics pioneer, 1915-2004

I think you did a great job on all your projects. Don't be so hard on yourself and you did learn some valuable information.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Thin is good but stack cut them to at least 1/4.
      They look great to me!!
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Wowsers! All of those projects look great!

John
        I've Got A Lot More To Learn
        About Leaving Battlegrounds Alone
        "~~ Molly Venter

Comment

Very nice work. That puzzle looks fun, hehe like me trying to get some of my odd shaped tools to fit back in their box hehe. Nice work, and the ornaments look great, very neat clean work.
          The Journey Is Everything.

http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

My Google+

Comment

you did a very nice job on both pieces .......the more ya cut, the more ya post!....keep those projects comin!...

bob
            "The Journey is the Reward"

Comment

Thanks.
              "Take something you love, tell people about it, bring together people who share your love, and help make it better. Ultimately, you'll have more of whatever you love for yourself and for the world." - Julius Schwartz, DC Comics pioneer, 1915-2004

Comment

I learn something on every project, even those that go the way I had hoped. I think these look great and those that get them will be impressed even though you know you struggled at times.
                Bob

Comment

I've noticed that somehow, people can tell when there is a lot of work in something...
                  If it takes me 5 minutes and was easy, they're not so very impressed. But if I toil over something, there is a great WOW factor...
                  I don't know, it just seems to be that way...

Great work...!!!
                  Don't sell yourself short, (we all seem to do that). We see the microscopic errors. Others see the overall beauty...

I'd say you're well on your way to a rewarding and wonderful adventure...
                  Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
                  No task is too tedious for Art.
                  Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                  Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Mindy, your cutting looks terriffic!!!
                    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                      Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                      by will8989
                      The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                      Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Farmers market
                      by will8989
                      Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                      Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                    • tgiro01
                      Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                      by tgiro01
                      Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                      Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                      Yesterday, 06:47 PM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to Plastic puzzle
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
                      Yesterday, 06:38 PM
                    Working...
                    X