Selling puzzles at craft fairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling puzzles at craft fairs

I saw a fella selling puzzles recently and he had them in a "glad bag" baggie with a piece of cardboard in the back. the cardboard gave the puzzle a background and the baggie allowed him to hang them up for display. I thought that the overall display look pretty nice. He easily had 50+ puzzles. They were all of pine wood and not painted.

John
    I've Got A Lot More To Learn
    About Leaving Battlegrounds Alone
    "~~ Molly Venter

Comment

Hi Ray
      I package puzzles in 2 ways. 1 - I make a draw string bag and put pieces in with a tag showing the completed object or 2 - I shrink wrap the finished article.

I don't sell openly at fairs and the like. Most of the stuff I make, I give away or when it sells it is a custom order, but the packaging would be the same for craft fairs etc

Good Luck
      Sue

Comment

I have found that you need to have a couple of puzzles out that allow the customers to handle the pieces so they get the concept of a wooden puzzle. Many customers want to buy on the spot so unless you have an established base of customers that come back every year that limits those sells to probably $30 or less and typically will be for a child. I use the draw string pouch for those unless it is a tray puzzle which I wrap in shrink wrap They will want to see the "finished" puzzle but this can be done with a small picture for those in pouches that I print out on my printer. If necessary the children's puzzles can be dumped out and solved on the spot. I know that normally wooden puzzles don't have pictures but the want to see what they are getting. You can get some custom orders either for children puzzles using customer's photographs or art work or even adult puzzles but I can't justify a craft show based on those orders. I do have 3 shows that repeat customers come back every year and order "adult" puzzles but that took 2 years to get established. Adult puzzles I put in a box. The fact of the matter is that I give away more than I sell so perhaps you need advice to someone with more success although if success is measure in enjoying what you are doing then I am doing great

Bob

Comment

Ray I have sold lots of puzzles through my old store and at craft fairs. Customers like to see the puzzle assembled. Previous to purchasing a shrink wrap set up, I would use cellophane or a glad bag to wrap after the purchase. I found outdoor events had the added "fun" of wind which sometime reeked havoc when I stood them up for display.

I like the cardboard and glad bag system mentioned. The only problem with glad bags is the puzzle will likely not stay assembled. You wouldn't believe how many customers purchased a puzzle for a gift and were afraid it would get separated before they got home and they wouldn't be able to reassemble it.

I feel nothing looks and works better presentation wise then shrink wrapping. Perhaps shrink wrap and then hot glue a card stock hanger to the back for hanging and display purposes. Whatever system you go with don't forget to enclose a business card.
          Kip

Scrollin' with an Ex-21

http://eco-friendly-woodworks.com/

I WAITED patiently for the Lord; And He inclined to me and heard my cry.
          He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay,
          And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm.
          He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God;
          Many will see and fear
          And will trust in the Lord.
          Psalm 40:1-3

Comment

At the shows I have five angled display boards that let them be out of the bag, but not falling all over the place by wind or being bumped. First show, I had them outside on a table - can you say dominoes? Each board has (or is supposed to have) a theme; young children, dinosaurs, fantasy... When sold I put them in a zip lock 2 gallon bag fully assembled. Also, I give them a card with the "answer" that has my contact info on the back.

Steve.
            Steve.
            EX-16, DW-788, Dremel 1680

Comment

Steve I do hope you have some pics to share...
              "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
              Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                by NC Scroller
                I get them from Amazon. I normally buy them in packages of 100....
                Today, 07:37 AM
              • NC Scroller
                Reply to Big week here
                by NC Scroller
                Leading up to my retirement I too worried about who would replace me. Truth be told I was more worried than my management. It took a couple months after my retirement for the feelings to go away. Now I only miss the people and not the job.
                Today, 07:32 AM
              • will8989
                Bruce, the one on probation
                by will8989
                is doing great in therapy. His range of motion is about 3 weeks ahead of where they expected him to be. He has zero strength in his hand or arm. He tried to grate some cheese, and he couldn’t hold the grater. The doctor had to do repair stitching on the muscle and that will take the longest to heal....
                Today, 12:59 AM
              • will8989
                Sundays market
                by will8989
                When we started out, it was 45 deg and rain. When we got there it was 44 deg and rain. By the time we left it stopped raining but was 42 deg. and windy. Luckily we are under cover but that doesn’t stop the wind. I sold 4 baskets, Sealife puzzle and a few other things. I moved the coffee grinders...
                Today, 12:46 AM
              • will8989
                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                by will8989
                I thought I read you use shrink wrapped bags for your puzzles. Where do you get them from?...
                Today, 12:27 AM
              Working...
              X