Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stephenD
    replied
    Thanks everyone for the answers. I cut my Christmas card puzzles from the 1/8" and was just wondering.

Leave a comment:

• Carter-Johnson
    replied
    Stephen, sorry I missed your post yesterday. I feel that 1/8" is way too thin for exact control of tight corners and turns. Also, that's just too thin for a workable puzzle, in my opinion. If the assembling table is a little warped or uneven, a tight fit is hard.

And last, my ego gets a nice boost when I can demonstrate how tight a puzzle is by picking a completed puzzle up by any edge piece and waving it in the air while I talk about it. You can't do that with wood thinner than 1/4".

1/4" baltic birch is the most popular but I prefer 5-ply poplar. A blade lasts three times longer (about 150 pieces on average).

Have Phun..... Carter

Leave a comment:

• 3_M
    replied
    Check this tutorial:

New Page 1

FD Mike

Leave a comment:

• avapilot
    replied
    1/4 poplar ply as per carter....

bob

Leave a comment:

• wood-n-things
    replied
    I'm not Carter but he taught me to use 1/4" 5 ply poplar plywood for my puzzles. 1/8" is too thin and fragile and difficult to cut that thin.

Leave a comment:

• stephenD
    started a topic puzzle thickness

puzzle thickness

Carter, do you use 1/8" or 1/4" ply for your calendar puzzles
    I have been using the quarter inch for the few larger puzzles I made but was thinking of the thinner and wanted your opinion.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X