Printed images for puzzles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printed images for puzzles

I have had a few images printed at Walmart to make puzzles from. My question is, since the prints are already glossy, is it really necessary to use Mod Podge on top of the image? My thoughts were that the Mod Podge would protect the image from being "rubbed out" from use. Is this reason Mod Podge is used? I don't want to ruin the print. So what is the best thing to do?

Thanks for any comments.

Bubba
    "Live as though Christ died yesterday, arose this morning, and is coming back tomorrow."

It isn't mandatory to use the mod podge over a glossy photo but it helps to preserve it's (the photos) integrity. You and I are 2 of the few still using Mod podge...LOL I find the Mod Podge helps to alleviate scratches etc on the pictures.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Mike, I use Mod Podge because you recommended and I trust your judgment. Besides, it's worked great. The only other thing available to me without ordering on-line is a product called Triple Thick glaze. It's a liquid and does a great job but is a bit pricey.

Bubba
      "Live as though Christ died yesterday, arose this morning, and is coming back tomorrow."

Comment

Carter uses the ttg on non-glossy pictures like calendar pages.. I think he uses the spray on though. You are right it is pricey. I still use both (the spray on ttg) but almost always use MP for prints as that is what it is designed for. It (mp) has been around for as long as I can remember doing crafts so it must have some value.

I edited my remark for clarification RE Carter...<wink>
        Last edited by wood-n-things; 11-21-2011, 01:52 PM.
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I don't spray anything on glossy photos. Never have. The shine holds up well - excapt perhaps when a liquid is spilled on it - which doesn't happen often enuf to warrant applying a coating.

Keep it simple ...... Carter

Comment

all of my puzzles are made with printed images from my hp printer...once the image is attached to the wood, I then coat the print with krylon triple thick glaze spray....two light coats....

the first coat sets the ink.....I wait about 15 minutes and then re coat.....I then wait 48 hours to cut the puzzle...this gives the krylon time to cure.....also you may want to tent the print immediately after spraying...

tenting is placing a box over the print so dust particles and larger bits of floating shop stuff, don,t settle on the prints surface....

if the print is left un coated any moisture on the print will cause the ink to run....like a wet finger, bead of sweat etc.....

I find that an un coated print scratches very easily...especially when the puzzle pieces are rattling around in the box/bag......I sell my photo prints and trust me, I have had to re print numerous times, trying to flick a piece of stuff off the print before matting and framing....and scratching the surface.....

but to each his own....I don,t use mog podge....i just don,t like the marks left behind by the applicator.....hope this helps...

bob
            "The Journey is the Reward"

Comment

Thanks for refreshing my memory on the preparing of photos printed from my HP printer for cutting of puzzles. I have been out of the loop for several weeks. My Dad is going thru a series of radiation treatments for a skin cancer on his nose. This is the results of spending ones life working cattle from the back of a horse, planting and gathering corn building fences, bailing hay and hauling hay bales out of the meadows and raising large, very large gardens. All of this work was down in the sun and no one realized the danagers from the sun back in the days when my dad was young. Hopefully I will get back in the groove and become productive in my shop and active on SSW&C.
              You can take the boy out of the hill country, but you can not take the hill country out of the boy.

Okie's Cuttings and Patterns
              http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb24/okiearkie/

darrell, the okiearkie

Comment

I also use Mod-Podge to coat my puzzle pictures for all of the reasons given above. I have had trouble with the spray triple thick glaze going on unevenly. Probably my spraying technique, but I don't do enough of them often enough to warrant the aggravation it gives me. I would rather put up with the streaky, matte like finish the Mod-Podge gives me.

george
                A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
                George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

i use the matte finish from walmart and it seems to hold up well by itself. have yet to try mod-podge, but may if i get negative feedback on my puzzles (all have been gifts and no complaints yet).

Comment

If printing using a dye based printer, it will yellow/fade eventually (especially if there is a lot of ozone in your house, or if the image will be in direct sun). So applying a coating is tempting. But doesn't the spray/liquid make the print "run"? Drops of water sure does...

Or, have it printed on a pigment based printer instead of a coating - they do not fade as quickly, and water won't harm pigment based prints as easily.

I've seen various recommendations on this. Some people might be using pigment prints, and others dyed-based, which may cause the different results and opinions. Any method will work in the short term (in terms of fading).

Comment

All of my images are black and white so I have no hardship with pigment, fading, etc. that some of you are referring to. I print my images in black and white, glue them to a piece of 1/4 inch plywood, then paint them. After they dry I apply 2 to 3 coats of matte finish Mod Podge. Then I either cut them into puzzles or leave them as is for hanging.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I stumbled onto Modge Podge or whatever it’s called at AC Moore craft store. I'll read up on it...I'm sure my prints will fade, at least with my printer anyhow.

They (and surely other stores) have very nice calendars at 50% off ($8 on sale, 16 months).

Comment

If I am making a puzzle for a yound child (not an infant) I lean toward making the puzzle as waterproof and scuff prove as possible. I have use MP and done a couple with the triple glaze. Both work but I need to improve my techique with the triple glaze.
                          Bob

Comment

I bought Krylon clear acrylic (gloss, not satin) with UV blockers for $6 locally last night. They did not carry the Krylon "Preserve it", else wise I'd probably would have bought it instead. They had triple glaze, but I think it doesn't mention photos on the label. The stuff I bought lists photos first under "uses" (but not on their website). They (Hobby Lobby) also carries Modge Podge, but spray is so easy to use, and MP does not claim to work on photos. I have an old dye based printer, which are probably still more popular than pigment based printers.

I also have some Ace Hardware Polyurethane varnish in a spray container. I tested them on two identical prints (leftover Christmas cards). A third Christmas card which I did not coat, is the "reference". All 3 cards were printed from the same piece of 8x11" paper (around mid December), so they are identical, and should be fully "dried/cured".

The Polyurethane happened to be satin, so that print is a bit milky looking, and it's a tiny bit more yellow. It applied very smooth - looks the same/even everywhere.

The Krylon acrylic is very clear. I followed directions and sprayed (both products) from 16" away (maybe a tad more), so in spots it looks matte (due to mist from the spray). I like the matte look, but in some spots it's smoother where it was applied heavier I guess. Doubt anyone would notice though. Some say acrylic is not as flexible as varnish, but that doesn't matter for jigsaw puzzles.

I'm happy the dye did not "run". Water harms the prints, so I feared these products might too. I wonder how well the "low odor" (water based) products would work. One person on dpreview had better results with the low odor version (Krylon). I should put a few drops of water on each of the 3 prints for a water test (this weekend, or maybe after a few more days of curing).

BTW, is the triple thick stuff noticeably "thick", so it gives lots of protection, or at least give a deeper looking shine? I suppose that would look nice on a puzzle.

Last edited by Block; 03-02-2012, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Montana Mike

Which Mod Podge are you using? Spray or brush on?

Are there any problems with the picture "fraying" when it's cut?

db

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X