New to the forums + 7 layered puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the forums + 7 layered puzzle

Hi everyone! I've been lurking around the forums for some time, but decided I should finally throw a post out and share some of my recent work.

I've always been an avid puzzler and about a year ago finally decided to purchase a scroll saw to make my own wooden puzzles. It's been quite the learning experience but I've enjoyed every minute of it.

Last month I embarked on and completed my largest puzzle to date - which I'm still trying to put back together between work, grad school, and scrolling... There are seven layers totaling 598 pieces. Layer 1 (top) has 212 pieces, layer 2 has 166, layer 3 has 105, layer 4 has 60, layer 5 has 33, layer 6 has 16, and layer 7 has 6 pieces.

The smallest circles are 1" in diameter, the largest is 8". Overall, the puzzle is just over 12" x 12" and 2" thick. I used 1/4" 5-ply Baltic Birch and alternated the grains on each layer. I didn't track the time I spent making this puzzle, but I'd estimate around 25 hours total from coming up with and creating the pattern to sanding the pieces.

Thanks!
    - Jen
    Attached Files

What an unusual concept. I'm thinking staves or one of those does something similar. Dastardly awesome. Thanks for sharing.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I hope this puzzle comes with a disclaimer..."May cause insanity"...lol
      Great first post, and Welcome.
      As a lurker, you probably already know that this place rocks!!!
      Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
      No task is too tedious for Art.
      Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
      Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Very nicely done; it's certainly not for everyone, but it's a great idea with good execution!

John
        http://www.puzzlesdelmeeple.com

Comment

Jen, That's insane,good job.Welcome here.Hope yo see more pictures soon.
          Lance

Comment

Thanks for all the comments everyone!
            After taking it into the office a few times, I've been told the puzzle is pure evil and should be named The Seven Layers of Hell. Also, I think some might be questioning my sanity for creating this one..

Comment

nice job and I love the concept!......I can see each layer with a different flower image.......now u need to post a small tutorial on how u did it.....

bob
              "The Journey is the Reward"

Comment

I love it! That puzzle is mean, rotten, vicious, twisted and nasty.

I agree with Bob, you need to post a tutorial because there are some of us who would love to cut one. Do you think it would work with pictures glued to the different layers?

george
                A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
                George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Welcome, Jen...Your contributions and comments are sure to be unusual and stimulating.

I'm personally baffled by this one. I can't imagine cutting or assembling it without different pictures on different levels: certainly not the people for whom my puzzles are cut. Are you planning on selling them eventually?

Beautiful work..... Carter

Comment

I'll have to dig around and see if I have enough photos to put into a tutorial... otherwise, I might wait for my next layered project and take ample pics while in progress (I'm toying with an idea for a 16 layer inverted pyramid). Even though I had a lot of fun cutting this one, the exterior profile was a bit frustrating - I only have a scroll saw and they aren't exactly intended to cut through 2 inches of plywood...

Several people at work have posed the question about images on each layer, so I have been thinking about it quite a bit. It might require a bit of creativity in applying the images so that the layers of the base can be attached well enough to each other, though. One of the suggestions I got was to use images that correspond to the idea of layers - textures for the layers of the earth, photos taken as you're sky diving and getting closer to the ground, etc. So I think there's a lot of room for neat ideas in that regard. I purposely didn't use any images for this one for the difficulty. Nearly 600 pieces with no obvious clues to which layer they go to or which way is up is exactly what makes it (as George put it) mean, rotten, vicious, twisted and nasty!!

Comment

Hi Carter! I do plan on selling eventually. For now, they're mostly for my own amusement and for family and friends. I only have a limited amount of time to dedicate to scrolling between my full time engineering job and grad school. Once I finish my degree though, I'll be able to put a bit more focus on my future scrolling business.

And yes, this is definitely a puzzle for those that like a good (or evil) challenge. I'm always up for a challenge, so I enjoy making puzzles that I know I'll be spending a bit of time with. For example, I picked up a 32,000 piece puzzle from Ravensburger earlier this month and work on it here and there when I have free time and am not in the mood for scrolling.

Comment

OH MY - crazy making both for the creator and the one receiving it.
                        DeWalt 788

Comment

This is awesome (add evil laugh). I'm gonna have to try this, if i ever get some free time

Comment

Jen,

An excellent project and it is such a pleasure to learn about a totally new (to me, at least) approach to jigsaw puzzles. I love it when someone comes up with a new concept, extending the art of jigsaw puzzles.
                            Ron
                            www.turtleteasers.com

Comment

Thanks for all the great comments everyone! Ron, I just wanted to give credit to Steve Good for the idea. His pattern for a stacked puzzle was my inspiration - I just went a little extra wild with it to increase the difficulty.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X