Pentomino Jigsaw Puzzles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pentomino Jigsaw Puzzles

Here are a couple of unusual jigsaw puzzles. In fact you may not even consider them to be jigsaw puzzles, as they are not cut from a single board of wood. But I think that they can rightly be considered to be tray jigsaw puzzles. They also differ from regular puzzles in that they have multiple correct solutions, in fact so many different solutions that it confounds common sense!

The puzzles are based on the mathematical concept of Pentominoes. Briefly, a Pentomino consists of five connected squares in the same way that a domino consists of two connected squares. There is a lot of information on the Internet on the subject of Pentominoes, and this is a good starting point: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentomino. There are 12 distinct Pentominos, and these puzzles both require you to fit them into a tray.

The first puzzle uses the set of 12 Pentominoes (total area 5 x 12 = 60 units) and they must be fitted into a 6 x 10 tray (also area 60 units). The second puzzle adds a 2 x 2 square to the 12 Pentominos, making 13 pieces with a total area of 64 units, which must be fitted into an 8 x 8 square tray.

The pieces are all cut from 1/4" hardwood, each piece from a different species. The pieces are left in their natural state, not stained, just wiped with tung oil to bring out the color and grain. The basic square unit on which the Pentominoes are based is 3/8" x 3/8". so the tray for the first puzzle measures 2-1/4" x 3-3/4" and for the second 3" x 3". The box for the first puzzle measures 3" x 4-1/2" x 1/2" and for the second 3-3/4" x 3-3/4" x 1/2".

Either puzzle can easily take a hour to find a first solution, yet there are 2339 different solutions to the 6 x 10 puzzle and a whopping 16146 solutions to the 8 x 8 puzzle!
    Attached Files
    Ron
    www.turtleteasers.com

Love it - but I was never good at these types of puzzles. The choice of different types of natural wood grains and colors works great.

John
    http://www.puzzlesdelmeeple.com

Comment

You got to be kidding. 2339 different solutions? It makes a beautiful puzzles and I particularly like the way you embedded your turtle.
      Bob

Comment

Very wonderful puzzle. Would make a fun gift!
        DeWalt 788

Comment

Nicely done! Elegant presentation with the box/tray. Is there a pattern available?
          "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
          Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Really cool, Ron. That kind of puzzle is very dear to me as I have one, given to me as a Christmas stocking gift probably about 1950 or so. It's in an amber plastic case, has ten plastic pieces in three colors, and is called a "Ten-Yen" puzzle. I've worked with it periodically for over 60 years. With it, there are different solutions, often based on which colors you want adjacent or separated when finished.

Carter

Comment

Originally posted by wood-n-things View Post
              Is there a pattern available?
              Mike,

Sorry, I didn't use any patterns except for the turtle inlay on the box lid.

For the pieces I used a 3/8" grid, and the shapes of the pieces are evident from the photos.
              Ron
              www.turtleteasers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Carter-Johnson View Post
                ten plastic pieces in three colors, and is called a "Ten-Yen" puzzle. Carter
                Carter,

I'd love to see a photo of your "Ten-Yen" puzzle. It sounds like it might be Japanese. The Japanese are great puzzlers!
                Ron
                www.turtleteasers.com

Comment

Ron...

Ask and ye shall receive... Carter
                  Attached Files

Comment

Carter,

Thanks for the photo of the Ten-Yen puzzle. I did a Google search and found many references to it. If you wear out your version, you can get a replacement here:

Kadon Enterprises, For Youngest Players (Page 1 of 3)

Ron
                    Ron
                    www.turtleteasers.com

Comment

That's really, really cool, Ron!
                      Shawn Ferguson

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !

Comment

Are the pieces somehow marked top and bottom or is this part of the game and the reason it is so difficult but with so many solutions?

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyD View Post
                          Are the pieces somehow marked top and bottom or is this part of the game and the reason it is so difficult but with so many solutions?

Mike
                          Mike,

The pieces are not marked in any way, and can be turned over and/or rotated as a solution is searched for. The cross piece, the X-Pentomino, has only a single shape, regardless of how it is reflected/rotated, the straight piece, the I-Pentomino, has just 2 shapes, but the others have either 4 shapes or 8 shapes. So there are 63 shapes available from the 12 pieces.

I don't know why the puzzle can be so tricky even though there are so many solutions, but perhaps it is partly due to the fact that you are trying to fit 63 shapes rather than 12 pieces.
                          Ron
                          www.turtleteasers.com

Comment

I really like those! i'd probably finally go over the edge if I tried to cut one, but cool just the same. Did you use some kind of program to create the pattern?
                            Cathy
                            Cathy

Comment

Originally posted by cskipper View Post
                              Did you use some kind of program to create the pattern?
                              Cathy
                              Cathy,

I did write a program to find and print all the solutions to the puzzles. If you are interested the PDF files can be downloaded from my web site.

But I just used squared paper to create patterns for the pieces. You can see the 12 pentomino shapes in the photos. My squares have sides measuring 3/8" .
                              Ron
                              www.turtleteasers.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• axor
                                Reply to Shawl pins
                                by axor
                                Hello! I just wanted to hear criticism about my patterns and your first comment! Thank you! Tell your e-mail and I will send you patterns without unnecessary images....
                                Today, 12:50 AM
                              • leehljp
                                I Thought the Spring Issue Looked Familiar!
                                by leehljp
                                When the Spring Issue of Scrollsaw Woodworking came out, it looked familiar to me but I couldn't figure out just why.

When we were in Japan, I collected two kinds of Starbucks mugs regularly: 1. Each major city had its own Starbucks mug; Each New year for about 1 week, Starbucks sold a...
                                Yesterday, 11:03 PM
                              • Jim McDonald
                                Reply to Sloan's Woodshop is retiring next month
                                by Jim McDonald
                                Placed my order today. Rhonda told me they will miss the folks calling in, but they just needed to get some time after running the business all these years.
                                I expressed my thanks for all the support they have given the hobby through the years and the guidance they provided to new scrollers--myself...
                                Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Pegas saw
                                by will8989
                                But that was before the Internet age.
                                Yesterday, 08:01 PM
                              • Trackman
                                Proud to be changes
                                by Trackman
                                Had a order that wanted Sue Mey’s proud to be patterns but with names of the people getting them. The EMS was for another customer who only wanted the logo. So Got a proud to be one for EMS people. I will make one to sale someday. Moved the letters using the old school of cutting an pasting. Love...
                                Yesterday, 07:53 PM
                              Working...
                              X