Problem with photo paper separating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with photo paper separating

Doing some jigsaw puzzles and I am having problems with the photo paper separating. I am using matte pictures from Walmart, and have tried both 3M Hi-Strength 90 spray adhesive and Loctite Professional Performance Heavyweight Bonding sprays - double coatings.

The photo paper doesn't get saturated as the sprays comes out fairly dry and kinda 'stringy'. Paper adheres very well to the wood, but paper separates at some of the knobs. I glue them back with clear glue, but figure I am doing something wrong.

Any suggestions sincerely appreciated.

I don't have experience with spray on glue. I use Aleene's Glue which seems to penetrate into the backing somewhat to the back of the photo. I use a technique suggested by Ron (Turtle Teasers) of spreading the glue on the board with a small paint roller. As he suggested I work in very good light so I can see that the glue is uniformly spread. He avoids to much glue but I am not sure what too much glue is so I just make sure there are no voids.
    Bob

Comment

I too use liquid glue to attach my photos, I just make sure i have an even coat on the board with a small foam roller. I just use some inexpensive Elmers wood glue I don't have a local source for Aileen's and keep forgetting when i go to a bigger town to pick some up.
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

G'day Jim,
        I use a spray on contact adhesive, like you. What you have to do to form a permanent bond is to let both pieces sit for about 5 - 10 minutes, until they are almost dry to touch, then carefully place them together. They then have to have pressure applied to form that bond. I use a laminate roller, but you can also use a block of wood and a hammer.
        Regards
        John
        "The Golden Mile"John Wayne
        Some of my Stuff
        Retired Medically Unfit Police Officers ***.

Comment

Jim,

It's not clear from your post if the paper is lifting from the wood or the paper is seperating into layers. I use Super77 spray and almost never, ever have trouble with the paper lifting from the wood. I do have trouble with paper seperating into layers, with a layer staying on the wood, especially at sharper angles. This is a function of the paper, not the adhesive. If that's your problem, I would suggest trying a different photo paper. And I don't think you should expect the adhesive to saturate the paper; that shouldn't be necessary. It could be that your adhesive just isn't the right kind; like I said, I use Super77 (from 3M I think). I coat the back of the image AND the wood surface, let them dry for 1-2 minutes, and then mount the image.

John
          http://www.puzzlesdelmeeple.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Chuck Hans
            Reply to Big week here
            by Chuck Hans
            Congrats on all accounts,
            I have been retired for 21 years and have no regrets. Hope you and your family take full advantage of the well earned time
            Yesterday, 08:51 PM
          • cwmagee
            Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
            by cwmagee
            Jim,

Should you ever get bored, you may have found a new retirement/career "Key Board Repair Service"
            Yesterday, 03:36 PM
          • Sandy Oaks
            Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
            by Sandy Oaks
            So true about letting the blade do to cutting....
            Yesterday, 02:56 PM
          • NC Scroller
            Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
            by NC Scroller
            I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
            Yesterday, 11:24 AM
          • NC Scroller
            Reply to Big week here
            by NC Scroller
            Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop...
            Yesterday, 11:18 AM
          Working...
          X