Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name Puzzles Question

Hello All,

It seems that name puzzles are all the rage this year. I have a friend who asked if I would make a name puzzle for her son for Christmas this year. He is still young and I wanted to make the name puzzle and put a backing on the puzzle so that the letters of the name would be placed it the outline and not fall out the back. However if I do this the letters will be hard to manipulate. I was wondering if anyone tried putting little knobs or handles on the letters or experimented with ways to make the letter pieces stick out of the top of the puzzle so that they could be grabbed or manipulated.

Really I am not sure what to do. I have thought about cutting the puzzle and then sanding down the board from which the letters were cut so that the letters would stick out. but that sounds like a lot of sanding.

Any ideas in the crowd?
    Thanks in advance

G'day,
    This is the way I do it. If you like just substitute materials for what you have available.
    I cut the letters from 6mm MDF and use 3mm MDF for the backing. I use finials with a 1/4" tenon as handles.
    Finials
    Attached Files
    Regards
    John
    "The Golden Mile"John Wayne
    Some of my Stuff
    Retired Medically Unfit Police Officers ***.

Comment

Name puzzles

I first use MS Word to get the letters all the same size, then paste them on 1/4 in birch ply in the design I want. Once cut out. I then trace the inside of the letter onto 1/2 in. birch ply. This way the final letter is just a little smaller than the slot it fits into. I then use another 1/4 in birch ply as backing and glue them together. The 1/2 in letter sits high enough in the cutout so you can grab it easily.
      Attached Files

Comment

I used some 1/8" backer when I cut the letters. Then glued the backer into the letter holes onto the background. The letters stuck up enough to get a hold of
        Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
        Desert Woodcrafters
        Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

Thanks everybody! I am going to try backing, finials, and tracing. I will let you know when I get one cut!

Comment

Remember in the US you CAN NOT paint, stain or varnish those if you are going to sell them. We are still waiting on the CPSC.
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I tried this for my grandbaby. What I did was stack cut 1/2" poplar on 1/4" plywood taped together. Then after cutting my puzzle I backed the plywood with 1/8" plywood and had a nice little puzzle with letters that stick up for little hands to handle.
              Tammy

Comment

Scott, I think you are wrong about not being able to paint the parts... I know the Goverment came out at first and said eveyone had to follow the same requirments, but if you read it real good you will see people like craft people are exempt from this.
                Hawaiilad
                Larry

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                  Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                  by Linda In Phoenix
                  I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                  Yesterday, 10:01 PM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                  by will8989
                  Will check out amazon tomorrow. Thanks.
                  Yesterday, 09:53 PM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                  by will8989
                  Well, I used to get my shrink wrap rolls from AC Moore, and just used the last roll😟. I use a heat gun but lately and only shrink the Sealife puzzles to keep the pieces in place. I only use it on puzzles because of my display board otherwise I would have broken pieces all over the place. Also easier...
                  Yesterday, 09:49 PM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                  by will8989
                  He’s gotten me through some pretty tough times and always has my back so It’s the least I can do. Good thing I had the freezer stocked! That has been a time saver. I made a pot of chili on Sunday and got 6 meals out of it! As for payback, I’m getting a new shed in the spring! I had to do my flap...
                  Yesterday, 09:32 PM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Sundays market
                  by will8989
                  We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
                  Yesterday, 08:56 PM
                Working...
                X