Box of Crayons Stand Up Puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Box of Crayons Stand Up Puzzle

Fiddling around with some more ideas for puzzles and it occurred to me that a box of crayons might make a good kid puzzle. Nothing too complicated, mind you, but interesting. I cut mine from good old pine, 3/4" and colored the tips with spray paint. I shellacked the box portion. The tip pieces are small, but easily workable for a young child. Of course there is the choking hazard so the puzzle should be used with parental supervision. Careful parents will understand this without beating them over the head. We'll here's the pattern. Hope you enjoy tinkering with it.
    Best
    Al B.
    Puzzle Patterns
    Attached Files

Now my granddaughter wants one. Thanks for the pattern!
    "All it Takes For the Forces of EVIL to Rule Is For Enough GOOD People To DO NOTHING!"

Saws: Excaliber 30; Dewalt 788 'Twins', Makita SJ401 (Retired), Grizzly G1012 18" Bandsaw

Comment

Thanks again Al..!!!!
      You're something else...!!!
      Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
      No task is too tedious for Art.
      Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
      Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Hi Al - a very nice simple and appealing design. I like it!
        Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
        - Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks for a simple but nice addition to the stand-up puzzle collection for kids. As to the choking hazard aspect...I printed out the pattern and think that if you cut the puzzle with the painted parts of each crayon as a single piece instead of two pieces, the result should be big enough to not be a choking hazard and it would still be an 8 piece puzzle.

george
          A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
          George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

I have to agree with George, Al. Something as attractive and colorful as your puzzle is very likely to draw the little ones over when parents are not around. For everyone's safety and peace of mind, making each colored part as a single piece loses nothing in appearance, and may even save a young life.
            Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

My thoughts are with George and Carole. The pattern should be redone so that none of the pieces can fit through a toilet paper tube. There are a lot of people that may consider themselves "careful" but they also trust the manufacturer of the product to follow the laws.
              It is a very cute puzzle that should attract a lot of attention - hopefully the right kind!
              T
              Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Al, You are very kind & generous for making these puzzles and posting them for free in the manner you do. As for little kids putting them in their mouths we fix that problem out here in the desert by rolling them around in the cactus after the paint dries. Those little bitty cactus needles get all over the thing and it teaches those little tikes real fast that some things are better put together with tweezers than with fingers. You'd be surprised at what fast learners even little babies are.

(Just my 3 cents worth)

John
                I've Got A Lot More To Learn
                About Leaving Battlegrounds Alone
                "~~ Molly Venter

Comment

John, are you serious?
                  Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

John is not serious, he would ruin the paint job with all that sand.
                    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

hehehehehehehe . . . . . I think Mike said it better than I could have!! ROTFLMAO!!!!

John
                      I've Got A Lot More To Learn
                      About Leaving Battlegrounds Alone
                      "~~ Molly Venter

Comment

Thanks for the comments. Feel free to adjust the puzzle as needed, but I still think that a parent should be on the alert when giving a child small objects.
                        Al B.

Comment

This is the type of puzzle that could be made to be very large and avoid the choking problem. Great idea for a subject.
                          Bob

Comment

already the neighbors kids are wanting it. so now i have something else in the bucket pail to do .kidding aside thanks

Comment

Al great pattern, thanks for sharing I may just make some for my great grandsons

Mike

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                                Pegas Large Scrollsaw Table
                                by cwmagee
                                A couple of months ago I ordered the Large Pegas Scroll Saw Table for my EX21 from Denny which I received about a week later. I installed it immediately and made a few test cuts. Since then I have been busy with several Urban renewal projects around house as well putting the yard to bed for the winter....
                                Today, 07:28 PM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Rolf
                                Back in the late 90's I bought a Incra 2000 Miter gauge. Incredibly precise. The problem was that it only adjusted in one direction, It rarely gets used. It locks in to half degrees. More recently I bought a Kreg fence which has a pin that precisely locates the frequently used angles.
                                That is...
                                Today, 08:15 AM
                              • Jimern
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by Jimern
                                The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                                Today, 06:29 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by will8989
                                The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                                Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                                Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                              Working...
                              X