Butterfly Monarch Puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butterfly Monarch Puzzle

This is my latest puzzle. I just finished it tonight. It is made from 3/4" poplar. It is my second attempt at airbrushing. It has 41 pieces. It is cut with my own puzzle design and paint design.

Any comments are welcome, I love feedback!

My first airbrush attempt: http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/scr...zles/40542.htm
    Attached Files

Wow that looks lovely. You did a great job with the design.

Comment

Very nice design and cutting.
      DeWalt 788

Comment

Nicely done.
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

very nice job.....you really captured the colors of the monarch accurately....

bob
          "The Journey is the Reward"

Comment

Well done.
            JIM

Comment

Love it! This is a great idea.
              "Live as though Christ died yesterday, arose this morning, and is coming back tomorrow."

Comment

Hammer,

I really like your puzzle. As I am a complete ignoramus regarding airbrushing, could you say a little about your technique? Is it done freehand, or is stenciling involved? What sort of paint are you using? What equipment?
                Ron
                www.turtleteasers.com

Comment

Great puzzle ! Nice paint job too. The airbrush does do wonders for something like that. I like your pattern & it looks like the pieces fit real snug. Good job.
                  PERK

Comment

Excellent concept..!!!!!!!!!!!
                    ..and well executed...!!!
                    I do believe you've got something there....

Very, Very nice...!!!
                    Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
                    No task is too tedious for Art.
                    Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                    Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

That is a GREAT puzzle!

John
                      I've Got A Lot More To Learn
                      About Leaving Battlegrounds Alone
                      "~~ Molly Venter

Comment

Your 2nd attempt at airbrushing looks like you've been doing it for years. Wonderful work!
                        Don

Comment

Oh my gosh you guys, I'm so happy to have so many great comments on my puzzle!! Thank you so much!!!

To answer turtleteasers questions. I'm not sure if I exactly have a technique yet since this is my second attempt, but I can tell you how I went about designing this puzzle.

First I find an image of a butterfly that I like. (I've attached the final puzzle and the butterfly that I found online) I create an outline of the butterfly in inkscape and then cut the outlined shape. I scan the cut outline and then print out that. Now I have the exact size and shape that I am working on and can print out as many as necessary. I draw out my puzzle shapes on the print out. I wanted to use more traditional style shapes. Once I have a design that I like, I scan that to save the original and then glue the pattern to the cutout. I then cut the puzzle.

For the airbrushing, I print out the image that I downloaded earlier to get an idea of color, shading, highlights, etc. I mix my paint and then paint the entire puzzle the most dominant color...in this case, the medium orange color. After that dries, I spray the darker orange and finally the lightest orange. After that is dry, I spray the black edge. I brush the black veins on and then go over them with the airbrush to give it a not so defined edge. Finally I spray the sides of the puzzle and apply the white dots randomly around the edge.

The puzzle is all free hand and no stencils were used.

The paint that I used is Americana brand acrylic paint. I mix my colors in the airbrush jar and add water to thin the paint. Give it a good shake and then let it sit to allow the air bubbles to settle.

The airbrush that I have is one that I picked up off of craigslist.org for $40. It's a Paasche VL series brush. I have a small air compressor already and the airbrush came with the necessary hose and connections for the compressor.

I'm sure there are other ways of doing this, other paints and better thinning techniques, but I just attacked this head on and made it up as I went. It seems to be working so far!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hammer,

Thanks for the clear explanation. It seems that the airbrush is an alternative to the paintbrush, and still requires artistic talent rather than crafting experience, which probably rules me out!
                            Ron
                            www.turtleteasers.com

Comment

hi Hammer,
                              this is a wonderful puzzle, your painting looks great, your design looks great and your cutting looks great. If I could critique it in any way it would be: how fantastic it would be if the back looked like the front, that would be a real "bear" to put together,maybe the next puzzle could be a bear.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Rolf
                                Back in the late 90's I bought a Incra 2000 Miter gauge. Incredibly precise. The problem was that it only adjusted in one direction, It rarely gets used. It locks in to half degrees. More recently I bought a Kreg fence which has a pin that precisely locates the frequently used angles.
                                That is...
                                Today, 08:15 AM
                              • Jimern
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by Jimern
                                The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                                Today, 06:29 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by will8989
                                The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                                Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                                Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                              • tgiro01
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by tgiro01
                                Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                                Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                              Working...
                              X