No announcement yet.

Some stand up puzzles finished

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Some stand up puzzles finished

    I made four stand up puzzles from Peterson patterns: Unicorn, Butterfly, Golden Retriever, Cow. Then I tried my hand at creating a stand up name puzzle which was part of a birthday gift for our daughter's friend.

    I used a FD UR #3, since I liked the tighter fit of the pieces and how much faster it cuts than the #5 or #7 (I get a little impatient when cutting).

    I sanded the edges with a sanding mop, but I still need to break it in a lot. I'm not able to get into some of the smaller inside areas without sanding too much off the outer parts. I'm also wearing leather gloves which is saving my skin from being sanded off (happened the first time and I didn't realize it until later), but I'm developing some small holes in the finger tips. It's also hard to hold some of the smaller pieces and not have them go flying. Any recommendations and advice would be much appreciated.

    For the name puzzle I used Hobo font which was recommended by a few members here (thank you!) and used Photoshop to join the letters and make them fuller.

  • #2
    Very well done on all of them.
    "Still Montana Mike"

    "Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC


    • #3
      They are very nice.
      DeWalt 788


      • #4
        great job!!.......I like the font choice for the name puzzle...

        "The Journey is the Reward"


        • #5
          I like all of them. I have only used puzzle blades to date except for cutting the outside of a puzzle. I would have thought the #3 blade would have cut slower than the #5 or #7 based on the simple thought that the smaller blade would not cut as fast.


          Unconfigured Ad Widget


          Latest Topics


          • axor
            Reply to Shawl pins
            by axor

            Yes, they can be used for hair. If they are made a little larger than the original, the shawl pins will work great in the hair!...
            Today, 03:21 PM
          • handibunny
            Reply to EX dust collection holes screwed up a project.!
            by handibunny
            Rolf, smaller bowl-cutting angles, 30˚ or less, usually don't present a problem either with vibration or for cutting into the table. It's when you get into the 40˚ and 45˚ range that things get dicey for both. (The Seyco saw doesn't even cut bevels greater than 35˚ or so!) If you add even a slight...
            Today, 09:21 AM
          • Bill Wilson
            Reply to EX dust collection holes screwed up a project.!
            by Bill Wilson
            I've done some bevel cutting on my EX-21 as well and also have not experienced any added vibration, nor have I cut into the table. Perhaps I haven't cut at a steep enough angle, but the existing blade hole has been sufficient. I do despise the useless vacuum holes, but I've learned to live with them...
            Today, 09:06 AM
          • cwmagee
            Reply to EX dust collection holes screwed up a project.!
            by cwmagee
            Carole Your hole size was a concern when I purchased the Pegas Replacement Table for my EX21, because I had cut into the side of hole on the original table, The damage I did to the old table was due to the blade adjustments were not in the center of blade holders. So far that has not been an issue...
            Today, 08:40 AM
          • Rolf
            Reply to EX dust collection holes screwed up a project.!
            by Rolf
            That is an interesting point Carole. I have done some bevel cutting on the EX and can't say that I have experienced an increase in vibration or any problems with following the lines. I know when I cut one of your bowl designs on my Hawk I really had to concentrate on not pushing down hill....
            Today, 07:28 AM