Wooden jigsaw puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden jigsaw puzzle

The very first jigsaw puzzle i ever made was just plain wood. I had this piece of oak and I decided to make another.
    As always, comments welcome
    Attached Files

That's good and the pieces look as if they're tight. Now.....try doing it without straight lines and intersections of four pieces at the same spots. In other words, do it freehand without trying to make the pieces symmetrical....just an idea that can lead to more creative designs.....

Carter

Comment

I know I need to get off the patterns. They are like that security blanket for me . I know it's like the other aspects of scrolling. I just need to start doing freehand and practice practice practice til I get the hang of it.
      Last edited by anewscroller; 09-08-2011, 09:43 PM.

Comment

What carter said. Nice job on your first! Keep em coming.
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

That's pretty cool. I've tried cutting puzzles with and without a pattern, just can't do it. I don't have the patience for it. I know exactly what you mean about a "security blanket", I still use the hold down foot on my scroll saw! I've tried not using it but the wood just flops around so I use the foot. Don
          Don

Comment

That's a great cut. I tend to think that those pieces of wood (without a picture) look a little nicer with the symmetrical cuts like you did it. I don't know why I think that - they just appeal to me more that way. There is a fella in Albuquerque, NM that cuts layered pieces of different kinds of wood - all natural - & highly polished and his pieces are simply beautiful. He stacks them so that it is easy to put together because the paduk goes on the paduk layer and the oak goes on the oak layer but he'll embed small pieces of turquoise or other rocks in the piece and all of his pieces are quite beautiful.

Keep on cutting!
            John
            Last edited by Powakee; 09-09-2011, 04:08 PM.
            I've Got A Lot More To Learn
            About Leaving Battlegrounds Alone
            "~~ Molly Venter

Comment

A comment for Don....Why the flopping when you don't use the hold-down? Are you not holding the wood down with your fingertips (which you should) or are the blade teeth not pointing down? With your fingers pressing down on the wood, there should be no need for the hold-down bar. It impedes your movement under the guise of a meaningless safety device.

Break Free........ Carter

Comment

I like it a lot ANS. John I think you put my thoughts into words.
                Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Comment

Totally agree with Carter, don't use the holder-down thingy, just press the wood down with your fingers. I find that the harder I press the wood down, the better control I have while scrolling...

Comment

Good job on your puzzle. I don't know how easily I could but a pattern free-handed if I didn't have a picture to give me the inspiration. When I cut ones without pictures I tend to wind up cutting them in a more traditional pattern.

Funny about the hold down. I was demo'ing scrolling yesterday. My hands were no where near the blade, but someone watching said "oh, aren't you afraid to have your hands so close to the blade?" I had the opportunity to talk about the relative safety of scrolling.
                    Cathy
                    Cathy

Comment

Good job, you have nice lines and smooth curves. If you like working without images, why not find a large grape or oak leaf and cut the outline of that up?

Comment

I am one of those people who prefers regular-shaped pieces to random freehand pieces, so I appreciate your puzzle and like the effect of the wood grain.

If you want to cut something similar, but more challenging, take a look at my thread http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/scr...zles/24203.htm for some ideas. I am thinking of trying a diagonal-cut puzzle with an interesting piece of wood, making a difficult double-sided puzzle.
                        Ron
                        www.turtleteasers.com

Comment

I am thinking of trying a diagonal-cut puzzle with an interesting piece of wood, making a difficult double-sided puzzle.
                          Please post pics of it....Sounds intriguing.
                          "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                          Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Originally posted by tdub4ever View Post
                            I still use the hold down foot on my scroll saw! I've tried not using it but the wood just flops around so I use the foot. Don
                            Don,

Your top scrolling priority should be to find out why you are having this problem. Once you get over this, your scrolling will improve. There are some good ideas already in this thread, but I would add that if you are using reverse blades these are more prone to cause lifting, especially with thin wood.
                            Ron
                            www.turtleteasers.com

Comment

Ron, that puzzle was awesome. What program do you use to create the patterns?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by will8989
                                The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                                Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                                Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                              • tgiro01
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by tgiro01
                                Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                                Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                                Yesterday, 06:47 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Plastic puzzle
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
                                Yesterday, 06:38 PM
                              Working...
                              X