"Sweet Dreams" Jigsaw Puzzle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Sweet Dreams" Jigsaw Puzzle

Before the Holidays, I was contacted by a very nice woman living in France who was interested in purchasing my "Moons and Stars" puzzle, which is a fantasy themed puzzle adorned with numerous moon and star shaped Figurals.

She was disappointed when I told her that it was not for sale, but I instead offered to custom cut a puzzle with different artwork working off a somewhat related motif. As it turns out, she is a very talented graphic artist, and she designed her own piece of art to be used just for this puzzle.

The artwork had a Manga feel to it, which really interested me as I had not yet delved into working with that style and was enthusiatic about trying it out. I began with the notion of working stars into the puzzle, but was not afraid to let the puzzle take on it's own life as I cut it, and develop it's own unique creative identity.

"Sweet Dreams" is 12" x 12" and contains 295 pieces, with 33 Figurals, 24 Picture Elements, and 19 star-shaped "drop-outs." The puzzle was cut from 1/4" Cherry ply. My interpretation of the artwork is that of a young girl (Alice) who has a certain sweet tooth. As she gazes at a dessert menu, she is swept into a dream where endless edible goodies are ready to pleasantly overwhelm her senses. The whimsical happenings in the painting were very inviting to the many Figurals which decided to hop into the puzzle.

I used three separate "styles" to cut with; a loose, flowing/swirl style for her white apron, a similar, but tighter style for her blue dress, and a more traditional style for the rest of the puzzle.

There are many Figurals which came to join in the fun, and I'll invite you to take a peek at a few of them!

In this picture, The White Rabbit is running so quickly that a wind-shaped Figural is blowing close behind, trying to keep up. "I'm late! I'm late! For a very important date!"

Two chocolate frog Figurals have visited from the world of Harry Potter, and are leaping off of their toadstools. One seems to be going for a nice big strawberry, and the other is interested in a doughnut! The tiny little stars are some of the drop-outs.

Shawn Ferguson

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !

I think Alice is trying to grab that "Drink Me" bottle. I wonder what will happen? Please be careful balancing on that strawberry, though, Alice! If you're not careful you might fall!

WHOOPS! .....Well, Alice might be just a little wet, but at least a seahorse and a starfish Figural have come to keep her company in there. Besides, that drink tastes really good!

Trevor the Turtle always ends up in the oddest places!! It looks like he has decided to take a stroll on that nice colorful pencil.

Yes, Trevor......we're all impressed with the fancy new design you have on your shell! Very nice.

Shawn Ferguson

Comment

I'm not sure if this little character is playing with a full deck!

Buff the Magic Dragon has a sweet tooth of his own, and seems headed right for that big ol' strawberry on that jello mold....

Now that Alice has had a chance to dry off, she's back to enjoying her world of wonderful delicacies. That candy cane is so close, I can taste it too!

As a matter of fact, who doesn't love sweets?!

Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Here's a picture of the "special pieces" found within the puzzle. There are lots of surprises waiting to be found as it is put together!

There are also several "Complex Picture Elements" (my young son's favorite term which I use) within the puzzle, where several smaller pieces come together to form larger stand-alone treats. Anybody hungry for a watermelon wedge?

Well.....it's been a very sweet and adventurous dream for Alice, and a very busy one!

I think she deserves to just have a seat in a nice comfy spot, unwrap a candy......

......and enjoy the stars!!

Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Shawn,
          As usual, indescribably well done! I assume that she was elated.
          joes

Comment

Truly Gorgeous!

Carter

Comment

Thanks again for the eye candy, and sweeeeeet narration........you are a master at your craft Shawn.
              Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

WOW!! That is awesome! It looks super fun to put together. You are very talented and imaginative!
                Cami Zaugg
                www.zauggpuzzles.com

Comment

Shawn,

Your IMAGINATION is second to none.

Incredible job, thank you for sharing
                  Rick
                  Just because the circus left town, doesn't mean the Monkey's off your back

Comment

Shawn
                    A very beautiful and imaginative puzzle!!! I like all the figurals.
                    Dave
                    "Tight's tight, too tight's broken"

My Gallery

Comment

As always, a delight to follow along. Thanks.
                      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Thanks so much, Folks!

Originally posted by joes View Post
                        Shawn,
                        As usual, indescribably well done! I assume that she was elated.
                        joes

She actually hasn't received it yet, Joe. I'll have the box completed and have it ready to ship in just a little while. Then I'll have to make sure that she is ready to receive it before it mails across the ocean.

I really did have fun working on this one, and even more so because the individual I was making it for was so enthusiastic and nice. I really hope she enjoys it!
                        Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Very nice work Shawn!
                          L. Keith Graves
                          Graves Wooden Puzzles
                          www.gravespuzzles.com
                          Handcrafted Wooden Jigsaw Puzzles

Comment

truly amazing!!!......you have raised the benchmark with this puzzle.....and i love the complex figurals.....super job......but does alice have a french accent?....i couldn't hear from the puzzle......

bob
                            "The Journey is the Reward"

Comment

Amazing. And I think I have a complex puzzles with 7 or 8 figurals. Bob, BlueJPuzzles

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• DaveVanEss
                                The Fickle Finger of Fate
                                by DaveVanEss
                                It is amazing how Edward R. Murrow's life could would have been different it is wasn't for this one event. When he was going to Washington State University he met a gorgeous girl going to the University of Idaho. They made a wonderful couple and they talked about getting married after Edward graduated....
                                Yesterday, 11:16 AM
                              • meflick
                                Reply to Fall 2019 Issue
                                by meflick
                                Mine was in the mail Fri., just in time to throw in For our weekend camping trip. I agree, great looking projects to do and always fun to see the contributions and names of our forum friends, ๐Ÿฅณ๐Ÿ™‚ now to carve out time to try a few of them.
                                07-14-2019, 03:27 PM
                              • meflick
                                Reply to Unicorn Spit
                                by meflick
                                Thanks Betty. I will need to check our local store. I Will also check their online site and see if itโ€™s there. Now, I need to go and retrieve that Joanneโ€™s email with the coupon back out of the trash. ๐Ÿ˜‰...
                                07-14-2019, 03:23 PM
                              • meflick
                                Reply to Dream Catcher Silhouette Ornaments
                                by meflick
                                Thank you Betty. You are very kind, just let me know whenever you are ready....
                                07-14-2019, 03:19 PM
                              • meflick
                                Reply to Conversations
                                by meflick
                                Thanks to the Magazine that was in my mailbox on Fri, I know what a Unicorn ๐Ÿฆ„ Spit is. โ˜บ๏ธ I will be looking for some to try as well. No cookies here, trying to cut back on the sugar. ๐Ÿ˜” But I agree, if Elliott wants to think you made them, who are we to argue. ๐Ÿ˜‰ my day was great, we recently...
                                07-14-2019, 03:16 PM
                              Working...
                              X