"Pups and Pups and Pups and Pups" Puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Pups and Pups and Pups and Pups" Puzzle

"Pups and Pups and Pups and Pups" was cut for my son as a gift for his 8th birthday. It was made from 1/4" oak ply, and is 12" by 12" in size. Each of the pups in the artwork are cut out individually, and to keep the other puzzle pieces somewhat balanced with them, I made them rather large. Since all of the space between the dogs is yellow with paw prints, making the filler pieces small would have been somewhat tedious to assemble, I think. In the end, the puzzle ended up with 94 pieces with 10 Figurals and 18 (large) Picture Elements.

I sculpted out the top border of the puzzle so that it was made up of a row of different types of dogs playing together.

This little dog is using the poodle's nose to try and see what all of the fuss is about.

A puppy must have been trampling on the puzzle, because each of the bottom corners have a paw print dropout.

Last edited by Scrolling Days; 02-05-2011, 10:02 PM.
    Shawn Ferguson

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !

One problem I was faced with was that although most of the pups in the artwork were different, there were several which were exactly the same as one another. I wasn't using locking tabs on them, and I really didn't want it to be possible for the same piece to fit into more that one possibe location. To overcome this, I made subtle changes on some of the pieces by altering their dog tags.

The puzzle contains 10 Figural Pieces, and of these there are 8 dog bones, each one representing one year of my son's new age. One of the Figurals is shaped like a stuffed dog that he has had since being really little.

Last edited by Scrolling Days; 02-05-2011, 10:06 PM.
    Shawn Ferguson

Comment

....and, here's a picture of the back of the puzzle.

Jeremy is extremely fond of wooden jigsaw puzzles, and it was definitely a hit when he opened his birthday presents!

WOOF!! WOOF!!

Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Outstanding and His big smile says it all! Happy Birthday Jeremy!
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Best one yet Shawn! And tell Jeremy happy belated birthday from us (and Vanessa loves the outfit too- she collects penguin figurines).

Jerry
          The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Comment

Awesome puzzle and present, it is nice to see children enjoy things other than plastic throwaway toys. Your puzzle is truly creative love the innovation with the top border.
            Doug
            Last edited by Doug Nelson; 02-06-2011, 09:45 AM.
            Taking It Real Easy
            Doug

Doug's Wood Puzzles and Gallery

Comment

Shawn, that's the most phun kind of puzzle to cut, to give and to watch being assembled.

I once came across a card of stylized cats that all fit together. Each piece was a cat with no filler space. I showed it to some friends and one woman hounded me and hounded me saying she had to have one. I found another, cut it and gave it to her. She returned it when I saw her a week later, saying "It comes apart, I can't hang it on my wall." Turns out she had no concept of what a jigsaw puzzle was, and she was in her 70's. I had all I could do to hide my disgust.

Keep it up..... Carter

Comment

Shawn
                Nice puzzle and beutifull presented thanks for sharing
                Tom

Comment

Another great puzzle Shawn, and your son looks like he really enjoyed it.
                  thanks for sharing
                  Marsha
                  LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

awesome puzzle!!!....and happy birthday to jeremy......i knew you were going to the dogs...now this just proves my point!!!!.....LOL.....i really like the way that you changed the dog tags.....i love it.....

bob
                    "The Journey is the Reward"

Comment

Hey Shawn,

Between you and Carter, I'm running out of adjectives.

That is just fantastic. Happy eighth birthday to your son.
                      Rick
                      Just because the circus left town, doesn't mean the Monkey's off your back

Comment

What a great puzzle Shawn. His smile says it all.
                        Steve
                        Salmo Puzzles
                        Hawk G4 and DW788

So many pieces to cut ... so little time.

Comment

What a great gift for your son! I'm sure he will treasure it forever.
                          DeWalt 788

Comment

Thanks everyone!!
                            Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Shawn, that is fantastic. What a great gift and what a joy to see a kid really like a present.

george
                              A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
                              George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X