"Heroic Marvels" Superhero Puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Heroic Marvels" Superhero Puzzle

"Heroic Marvels" was a fun cut I recently completed. It is approximately 22 inches x 13 inches in size and was cut from 1/4" Oak ply. I made it as a gift for the 10 year old grandson of a friend, so I cut the pieces somewhat larger in size and easier to handle. In sum, the puzzle still ended up with 317 pieces and 25 Figurals. I worked on it intermittently over several weeks.

The puzzle was made from a large poster I purchased which contained hundreds of superheroes from the Marvel universe (sorry, Zohar...no Supes. You'll have to wait until I get a DC version done, LOL). I decided to focus in on the superheroes featured predominantly in the foreground of the poster and left the others out. I this way, I think the puzzle ended up with a more interesting shape.

This picture better shows where the Figural pieces might be found. Look quickly, though, as they're apt to fly away, or shift into another dimension!

Shawn Ferguson

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !

I tried to use some degree, when possible, of what I like to call "Figural Painting" where the Figurals are positioned in such a way as to pick up defining colors from the background art.

I understand introductions may be in order!

Clockwise from the top left is "The Hulk" (you wouldn't like him when he's angry), "Iron Man," who is flying through the puzzle on jet propelled boots and gloves, "Wolverine", with his indestructable Adamantium claws extracted, and "Captain America", standing ready to do battle with his patriotic shield.

Of course no introductions are needed for the star of the show, the Amazing "Spiderman" !

Shawn Ferguson

Comment

The remaining superhero Figurals which flew into my puzzle are the members of "The Fantastic Four."

On the left is "The Human Torch", who can surround himself with flames, on top is "Mr. Fantastic" who can stretch his body into incredible shapes and sizes, and on the right is that rocky monstrosity known as "Thing."

But where is the 4th member of the team?! Oh, yes, I forgot, "Invisible Woman" is.....um, ....invisible. So I guess my 25th Figural is my first ever invisible puzzle piece! You can look if you want, but I'm not skipping dinner waiting for you to find her!

The name of the boy I made the puzzle for is Koel. His name has also appeared within the palm of Mr Fantastic's hand.

Here is my son, Jeremy, giving the puzzle it's first "test assembly." We all started working on it Friday night, but he seemed to get into this one the most, and had it done by this afternoon.

The neat thing about this puzzle is that each of the superheroes have distinctive colors and costumes, and in some cases, such as Thing, distinctive textures. This made it really fun to work on the heroes individually. You can see in the picture, Jeremy was quick to sort the green Hulk pieces to the side right away. While one of us was working on Captain America, the other would be working on The Human Torch or Spiderman, etc.

In the end, I think it turned out to be a really fun puzzle, and I certainly enjoyed making it.
      Last edited by Scrolling Days; 01-09-2011, 06:08 PM.
      Shawn Ferguson

Comment

You are a super hero, "the puzzler". Well.....one of them anyway.
        Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
        Desert Woodcrafters
        Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenD View Post
          You are a super hero, "the puzzler". Well.....one of them anyway.
          Thanks, Stephen! I love it, LOL!!

I promise to use my powers for good and not evil.

Shawn Ferguson

Comment

THAT IS ONE COOL PUZZLE!!! You really out did yourself with that one. You are a real master of not only cutting the puzzle but adding some very unique features to the puzzle. GREAT JOB! I just can't say enough about it.
            Bill

I have an RBI Hawk 220-3 VS

Visit my Gallery
            and website www.billswoodntreasures.com

Comment

Thanks for sharing. This does indeed look like a really fun puzzle. One that I am sure will be enjoyed for many years to come.
              Tammy

Pressure makes diamonds

Comment

Gosh something is up with my computer. I only see 5 pics, the rest are all big black boxes. I was so excited to see Shawn had finally posted a new puzzle story too. Dang now what is going on?

Guess I'll log out and back and see it that fixes it. I'll dump my cache too.

Nope still big black empty boxes. No pics after the 2nd one from the beginning.
                Last edited by wood-n-things; 01-09-2011, 07:41 PM.
                "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

fantastic puzzle......and i love the figural painting.....how appropriate!!!!...now i need to see the presentation box.....does the puzzle theme carry over to the box?......love it and great job

ps.....i see your flying dragon has some competition in this puzzle!!!

bob
                  "The Journey is the Reward"

Comment

Incredible! Amazing! Invincible! Fantasic! Uncanny! Mighty! Excelsior!

I'm surprised that this is your first invisible puzzle piece. I frequently have pieces run off and turn invisible on me!

Looking forward to the Legion of Super Puzzles!

LLL,
                    Rob

Comment

Thanks, Bill, Tammy and Mike!!!

Mike, it might be something on your end.....the pics are showing up okay on my screen. I have them hosted on Photobucket, which is usually pretty reliable for me. Hopefully the glitch sorts itself out.

Originally posted by avapilot View Post
                      ...now i need to see the presentation box.....does the puzzle theme carry over to the box?......
                      Thanks, Bob! Of course it does! I started working on the box after dinner tonight, and will probably finish it tomorrow. The kids wore me out in the snow today, and I'm pretty wiped out, so no more boxing tonight, LOL. For now, I'm going to knock off a chapter or two in a book, then it's off to my Fortress of Solitude. I'll pop a pic up when it's done, though.

Originally posted by Arcy View Post
                      I'm surprised that this is your first invisible puzzle piece. I frequently have pieces run off and turn invisible on me!

Looking forward to the Legion of Super Puzzles!
                      HaHa! I guess I forgot about those invisible pieces, Rob!

Legion of Super Puzzles, huh? Ah, yes, the DC world awaits!!! Zohar may yet have his day!

Thanks also for the kind words!

Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Somehow the pics magically appeared. Now I can see the rest of the story. Fantasmagorical!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Awwwwwwwwwww! Beautiful and perfect for the recipient. Great pieces, especially since the oak cuts quickly but harder to control.

Great phun! Carter

Comment

Loved the pics and story Shawn. Awesome job on the puzzle!

Jerry
                            The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Comment

Great puzzle for a boy. I am sure he will be delighted and treasure it for a lifetime.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Advent wreath
                                by will8989
                                For one of my good customers. From the fall issue 2016. Cherry and African mahogany. Bruce turned the candle holders as we couldn’t find candles to fit any already made wooden holders. I used the green sparkle unicorn spit over green paint for holly leaves and red for the berries. Yes, I actually...
                                Today, 11:39 PM
                              • Ennobee
                                Reply to 10" long truck.
                                by Ennobee
                                Looks pretty neat. So it's from a 2x4: 3 in wide, 'bit less then 2 in. high? So how did you get the trunk cut out? You mentioned cutting the sides with a scroll saw, did you slice off two sides and then cut out the middle?...
                                Today, 09:46 PM
                              • vgraf
                                Reply to sanding sealer or shellac
                                by vgraf
                                I use sanding sealer on baltic birch plywood, pine and birch if I am going to stain them. Without the sanding sealer, the stain will be blotchy. I use the water base sealer from minwax. After it drys I sand to at least 150 grit and often to 220 grit. Wipe it with a tac cloth then apply the masking...
                                Today, 08:27 PM
                              • Jim Finn
                                Reply to 10" long truck.
                                by Jim Finn
                                We, our club, delivered over 900 toys last week to The Salvation Army, Ronald McDonald House, and a local children's hospital. Included were most of these trucks. (I sold a few)
                                Today, 07:17 PM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to sanding sealer or shellac
                                by NC Scroller
                                The real nice thing about using shellac and alcohol mix for ornaments is you only have to wait minutes before you tie in your ribbons and packaging.
                                Today, 10:48 AM
                              Working...
                              X