"Celestial Followings" Puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Celestial Followings" Puzzle

This is my newest cut, and was made as a Christmas gift for friends of mine who are makers of beautiful custom jewelry. With both being great artisans, I really wanted to come up with something nice.

"Celestial Followings" was cut from 1/4" Afrormosia ply, which is an absolutely gorgeous wood having a teak-like appearance with a nice golden grain. It measures approximately 8" x 11" and was made from a print which I purchased. I haven't counted the pieces yet, but estimate it will have around 250. It contains 12 Figurals, 5 Complex Figurals, and 4 Picture Elements. There are also several drop-outs within the puzzle, and I designed fancy edges on three of it's corners. In addition, there are many inset colorful Swarovski crystals which really explode nicely when light hits them, and help to add a touch of "magic" to the piece.

The puzzle features a wizard who I believe bases much of his craft on the study of astronomy. With his telescope hanging from his cloak, he marches purposefully across a hot volcanic landscape. I'm not sure if he is being led more by the dragon who travels with him, or by the stars, but most likely it is in part by both.

I cut a large semicircle around the wizard to highlight him from the rest of the puzzle, and to give the impression of a large sun on the horizon. The shooting stars which our small group follows are drop-outs, which I positioned to emphasized the flying birds in the sky.

Fancy geometric "Complex Figurals" adorn the heavens and are either mystical runes conjured by our astronomer, or are otherworldly celestial bodies themselves. I'll leave that distinction and interpretation totally to the puzzler's imagination.

Last edited by Scrolling Days; 11-28-2010, 11:34 AM.
    Shawn Ferguson

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !

Most of the puzzle is cut in a traditional style, but I did get some color-line cutting in at times. Here, our magician's mustache made a nice natural lock with his face.

Speaking of our wizard's beard, he might consider a trim. It looks like a small mouse Figural has taken up residence within it.

As always, I most enjoy discovering the many Figurals which find their way into the puzzles I cut.

The presence of the dragon in the artwork has attracted several reptile Figurals to come for a visit. Here you can see one of the lizards climbing the wizard's cloak to accept a small kind offering from his hand.

When assembling the puzzle, the assembler will discover a sword Figural piercing the dragons long, gem adorned tail. Our wizard has promised to finally remove the weapon, placed sharply by an agile adventurer looking for lore eons ago, once they reach their destination. With the constant motion of the world and it's heavens, however, destinations never seem to be still and are always another step or flight away.

Shawn Ferguson

Comment

As all good astronomers know, the cosmos keep a very tight and accurate time schedule. Many believe, in fact, that the heavens define time itself.

Our wizard has in his possession a very powerful and mystical hourglass which is coveted by those seeking to gain better control of the passage of time. A few Fire Sprite Figurals have come to see if they might be able to secretly snatch it away.

Here, one of them lifts his robe to get a better look.

Our wizard quickly leaves a sharp reminder of his power, however, with a magical blast from his staff into the earth.

The other Fire Sprite Figural takes heed, and wisely decides to leave the hourglass alone, and instead enjoy a rest while riding on the dragon's tail.

Shawn Ferguson

Comment

And finally, my dragon, Buff, has found interest in a particular cyclonic formation which spins freely within the skies. Who knows for how many millenia it has fastly twisted around and around?

Thanks for taking the time to look at my puzzle. I wish our small group good luck on their journey. I hear they might enjoy a stop and meal soon at the legendary Lava Falls, which are just beyond the next dry plateau. Of course, that's not too far...as the crow flies.

Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Beautiful as always! Looks like a great deal of fun.

--Rob

Comment

Fantabulous. You should write a childs book. I'd buy to read it myself.
            "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
            Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Fascinating and an enjoyable puzzle to look at. You do amazing work!

Karl
              Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

Looks great Shawn!
                L. Keith Graves
                Graves Wooden Puzzles
                www.gravespuzzles.com
                Handcrafted Wooden Jigsaw Puzzles

Comment

You rock.

John
                  http://www.puzzlesdelmeeple.com

Comment

Outstanding puzzle subject, excellent narration, absolute joy to view, and read.
                    I can only imagine how much fun it will be to assemble.
                    Sweeeeeeet cut as usual Shawn, thanks for the post. Love it. a plus.gif
                    Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

As I have said before....you folks here make me feel like I am cutting kindling.
                      That is fabulous.
                      Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
                      Desert Woodcrafters
                      Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

AMAZING!!!!...U DA MAN!!!!...i love it....i especially love the figural that is like a curly cue.....i have been practicing cutting those and they are really hard....you did a magnificent job.....the lines are so clean in the drop out areas....

and the sun...a figural with an internal piece.....now the bar is raised!!

a quick ?.....the only jewels that i could find were the stick on kind....so what i do is cut away most of the sticky stuff and position them on the puzzle....then i give them a little shot of thin CA.....to glue them down......

are your jewels countersunk or glued on the surface.....if they are countersunk, where to you get them?...

WOW!!!!!!

bob
                        "The Journey is the Reward"

Comment

Years ago a minister who praised something I had done used his own word: fantasmagorical! It applies here, Shawn.

Carter

Comment

Monumental Mystical Magic.

Never argue with a fool, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Thanks, everyone!

Bob, the crystals I like to use for my puzzles are Swaravskis which come "as is" without adhesive. When I plan to use them, I usually try to use a softer species of wood so that I can more eaily sink them in. This was my first time using the Aformorsia, but it worked out okay. In addition to sinking them, I add a touch of super glue before doing so.

Thanks for diggin' my wizard!

Wizards Rule, Knights Drool!!
                              Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X