Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"At The Old Stone Mill" Puzzle (with inset gems)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "At The Old Stone Mill" Puzzle (with inset gems)

I really love using folk art as a source for what I make as it really lends itself to the antiquity of cutting old-fashioned wooden jigsaw puzzles.

"At The Old Stone Mill" was cut from 1/4" Cherry ply, is 13 x 11 inches, and contains approximately 500 pieces. There are 34 Figurals and 8 Picture Elements within it. The source of the artwork was from a nice calendar I purchased.

One of the personal features I like to add to some of my puzzles is to inset gems into the wood to establish a certain effect. In this project, I inset more than 50 of them around the picture, to enhance the sensation of a "magical" snow. I used clear gems for this (the camera makes some look yellow), with the exception of some light lavender ones on the dusk horizon, and some blue ones over the frozen ice.

The engaging scene in the artwork attracted many Figurals to "jump into" the puzzle, and many of the Picture Elements, such as many of the skaters, were happy to "jump out" for a while.

Last edited by Scrolling Days; 02-26-2010, 08:18 PM.
    Shawn Ferguson

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !

Buff the Magic Dragon has become very interested in the frozen water wheel and has flown in for a closer look.

...And not far away, two Figurals have stopped by to play the greatest sport in the world!

Many other Figurals have joined in on the winter fun as well, including a father pulling his two children on a sled....

...and some other children who have come to visit the puzzle for some snowman building fun! Who knows? Maybe Frosty will come to life after that top hat is placed upon his head!

Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Down by the pond, I was not surprised to find some other children Figurals stop by for some wintery fun, including a spirited snowball fight across the banks of the frozen stream.

These energetic youths have taken advantage of some of my gems, and converted them into their own personal snowballs!

Here, one boy casts his frosty projectile away, while another stoops down to gather a new one.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the stream, another lad sends a snowball flying back in self-defense!

This Figural has decided to take advantage of the ice in the puzzle and practice for Sochi 2014!

Shawn Ferguson

Comment

"Pork," the lazier of the two of my more commonly visiting feline Figurals has decided to rest inside the warm covered bridge and catch a nap.

He better be careful, though, as a skunk is approaching up in the rafters and he feels like sharing!

This particular Figural placed himself just right within the artwork so as to earn a characteristic white stripe down his back!

Shawn Ferguson

Comment

In the distance, the rolling hills have provided a nice opportunity to get some skiing in.

....While some winter deer take some time to bask in the day before it is over.

I really enjoyed cutting this particular puzzle. It contains the most "people" Figurals which I've had in a puzzle so far at once, which I found challenging but fun.

Thanks for looking!!

Shawn Ferguson

Comment

I always enjoy looking at your work. It is truly amazing!!

Comment

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!
              What a puzzle, I like him a lot!
              Fantastic job for sure,
              Frieke
              www.friewoodart.webs.com

Visit Frieke's gallery

Don't let the pain of your past and the fear of your future ruin the happiness of your present.

Comment

Shawn,
                What an incredible piece!!! The cut is fantastic and the figurals are art within art. Excellent, excellent, excellent!!!
                John
                I've Got A Lot More To Learn
                About Leaving Battlegrounds Alone
                "~~ Molly Venter

Comment

nice work, shawn, i enjoyed the 'storyline' along with the pictures....awesome work

Comment

Shawn, amazing, just AMAZING! I love your puzzles and your choices for subjects. I love puzzles made of life long experiences.
                    You can take the boy out of the hill country, but you can not take the hill country out of the boy.

Okie's Cuttings and Patterns
                    http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb24/okiearkie/

darrell, the okiearkie

Comment

Fabulous Shawn, simply fabulous. I love the way you put the story with the puzzle.
                      Marsha
                      LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

WOW...is all i can say....i hope you bring this puzzle to the parley...i really want to see it....i'm totally blown away....the addition of the gems knocked this one out of the ballpark.....

Bob
                        Last edited by avapilot; 02-26-2010, 08:36 AM.
                        "The Journey is the Reward"

Comment

Oh so sweeeeet, eye candy for sure bravo mini.gif........love yer puz, and so enjoy the story. Great job Shawn. The kids will certainly have fun putting this one together.
                          Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Wonderful puzzle, Shawn. Your detail with the figurals is truly amazing.
                            Huck

Comment

Beautiful! Are you gonna sell that one? It ought to bring in a bundle!

Carter

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X