What technique is used to attach pattern to picture for puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What technique is used to attach pattern to picture for puzzle

I've attached the picture to the wood. Now I need to understand what the technique is to attach the jigsaw puzze template pattern to the picture so it doesn't goof up the picture when I take off. Do I just put the pattern on top of the picture/wood and wrap with packing tape? If it's not glued down, what will keep the template from lifting as I cut? I know some of you don't use a puzzle template but I'm too new to try freehand.

Originally posted by harrisg
    I know some of you don't use a puzzle template but I'm too new to try freehand.
    No you're not .

Gill
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Try cutting a small puzzle on a piece of scrap wood first.

Bob
      Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

O.K... I'm not too new and I should do small puzzles first. LOL... However, I don't want to be rude, or tick off the experts, but for now, I really want to use the jigsaw patterns that I got from Rick Hutcheson's site and am wondering about my original question

Comment

Harrisg,
          Try this on a scrap piece first, but I think you can cover the picture with blue or purple masking tape, and adhere the cutting pattern to the tape with spray adhesive. If you don't leave the masking tape on for more than a few days, it should come off cleanly. (Leaving a somewhat perfect puzzle)
          Good luck, and welcome to the group.
          PS let us know if this solves yer prob.
          Sandy

Comment

Here's another thought:
            Glue the pattern to the bottom of your puzzle, and the picture to the top. Put a piece of cardboard on top of the picture and tape around the edges...the cardboard will protect the picture and keep if from tearing, for the most part...in theory.

Bob
            www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Now I am not a puzzle maker and yet some of the things I do do turn out to be puzzling. We need our puzzle guru here Carter Johnson. But if I am not mistaken he puts a top coat on the puzzle like some kind of poly. If you do that then you can apply the pattern without a problem. If you go back to some of the post that deal with puzzle making I think the answer is in there. Sorry I could not help more because this is very puzzling to me.
              John T.

Comment

I spray one thick coating of "Triple=Thick Glaze". There are a number of brand (Krylon makes one). I let it dry a couple days.

I echo what some others have said. If you use a pattern you run the risk of cutting pieces that run through images such as faces. If you don't use a pattern and practice the technique of cutting one piece at a time, you will actually cut quicker and your puzzles will be a lot more fun to put together.

If you must cut in a pattern-like mode, there's no need to glue anything onto the picture. Simply begin one inch ior sio from one side, cut down about a half inch and insert a locking tab, cut another inch and insert another and do that until you reach the bottom. Then cut from the side one inch from it's "top" (or whatever size you want your puzzle pieces to be) inserting tabs the same way.

Please contact me at my email address of [email protected] if you want someone to bounce ideas.

Carter

Comment

Another footnote: Any paper that's thinner than that of at least a magazine cover has problems with buckling and air bubbles. I use calendar pictures, photos printed on heavy photo paper and cards.

Carter

Comment

I know I am starting to repeat myself, but:

My brain is just not wired to freehand puzzle cutting. I have ended up using tracing paper. This could be a left brain - right brain type of thing. Or it is just my pig-headed German heritage.

I use Carter Johnson's technique of Tacky Glue and triple thick glaze on top (several coats). However, I let the triple think glaze cure for at least 72 hours. Then using 3M photo-mount spay adhesive, I attach the tracing paper. Draw my pattern, as best I can, using a 0.7 mm mechanical pencil. (Trust me, the LARGE brown art eraser is close at hand and well used.)

The technique is to spray the adhesive only on the tracing paper and let it partially cure for 1 minute or so. Then attach the tracing paper to the puzzle. The time delay reduces the glue tack. The idea is for the pattern to lift off the puzzle when finished without leaving any residue which will attract saw dust. The saw dust will mar the finish. I clean the surface using a very mild solvent (methyl alcohol) I then spray another coat of Triple thick glaze.

Yes, the tracing paper will pop off the work piece during cutting, but I have been able to get the paper to reattach long enough to finish the cut.

BTW: I got the tracing paper (and the large eraser) at a local big box office supply store. And don't use any 2H lead, you don't want to damage the finish on top of the puzzle. Soft lead and easy pressure.

If you start with Rick H.'s puzzle pattern, trace it onto your tracing paper, attach the tracing paper to the puzzle, Then you can modify the pattern to match the graphics of your picture.

Phil

PS: I have tried to use several other finish spays from Lacquer, to Poly spray and so forth. The problem is the solvent in these other products attack the puzzle's graphic paper and inks. What is needed is a mild decoupage top coat that won't affect the graphic, but protect against the vile chemicals in the 3M photo mount spray.
                    (If you don't wear a dust mask, the overspray of the photo mount will go into your lungs.)

Comment

Now you got my juices flowing and I had an epiphany. (But I'm OK now) GrayBeard Phil mentioned tracing paper. I went back to Rick's site and printed one of the puzzle patterns on transparency film that I had laying around. Now I have a clear puzzle pattern to use and I'll try to cut using some of the suggestions given to me on this fine site. I'm thinking that I'll have to cut from the top so a couple coats of Triple Glaze, let it set for 3 days, a little Duro or photo spray to the tranparency, wrap it with packing tape, cut the puzzle and we'll see what happens. The reason I want the pattern on top is so I can modify the cut to match the picture as was mentioned.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X