I need your insight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need your insight

I'm not sure where the best place to post this would be, but it made sense to me to start here. I'm starting to plan for my first (ever) scrolling demo at our county fair this year. Besides the saw to show how cutting is done I want to have a display of sorts that people walking by could view. My current thoughts are to have some sort of table set up with a center section sitting on top with shelves to display different items that were scrolled and poster "wings" explaining the history of scrolling on one side and the history of the saw on the other side. The rest of the table surface could hold project samples. Any thoughts / experiences / suggestions would be appreciated.
    Bruce
    . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
    visit sometime
    Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

I demo at our county and state fair every year. People love seeing a variety of items from each of the areas (fret, intarsia, segmentation, etc.). I have my saw there, a small drill press, and some wood to demo with. I also take along a few issues of the magazine to encourage others to get into the hobby. The most popular things to demo are fret work (because everyone wants to see how the blade cuts inside of areas, and I cut every child the first letter of their name for free out of scrap pine and poplar that I take with me. To be able to do the letters freehand without drawing it first takes practice, but it impresses everyone. I get quite a few commissioned orders resulting from every fair. I've been doing this for about 7-8 years now. Lets me 'show off', get others involved, and it's great advertising.
    Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

I know another scroller who makes 3d toy items for the kids during demos as well.
      https://www.etsy.com/shop/BeasleyTurnings
      Stabilized blanks and more

Comment

I have been doing demos for probably 15 years. I have found that compound cutting and card puzzles get the most attention. When doing demos most people will not stand still for more than 10 minutes. So if you are going to do a demo of cutting a bird house like Denny recently showed:
        1. Set a schedule like demo on the top of the hour
        2. Have a couple completed ones on the table
        3. Have a block with the pattern attached to pass around
        4. Have several where you have one side already cut.
        5. As you cut the other side and pop the bird house out, talk as you work.
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Our club does an annual woodworking show where all of our SIG's are represented. We call it our annual PROM where we can have our work shown and judged.
          We usually have two saws going both days. I usually do compound cuts, they absolutely amaze people when the inner piece falls out, my friend Joe is usually cutting simple ornaments. all are given to the kids, young and Old. We have a table and peg board set up with a real cross section of what can be done with a scroll saw. We also have two of my clocks running on the table to draw people in. we demonstrate all day for two days, and have other members to answer questions and demonstrate.
          Linda I like what you have suggested with cutting out names.
          The last show we had a separate table where our members each displayed a project from one SSWWC magazine.

Most important HAVE FUN

We have for show.
          Blade samples especially the real small ones.
          Magazines,
          Samples of all types of scrolling. Intarsia, fret work , etc.
          I also have a white board incase I need to draw something to explain.

I just went through my pictures and don't really have any good ones of our setup.
          This is an old one from back in 2013 this was before the event opened. The small deer compound cut only takes a few minutes to cut but is a real crowd pleaser. We like having a couple of different saws there , 2 Hegners and my Hawk. The Hawk will no longer be coming out of my basement (to heavy) For future shows it will be my EX 16 much easier to transport.

.DSC_7550.JPG
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Rolf; 03-05-2021, 08:41 AM.
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I know you are doing a Demo but I think this video has MANY tips for doing craft shows.Hans has many video's on scrollsawing but this one is for dealing with the public. It is 29 min long but worth watching. Enjoy here is a linkl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQCDSYG1p4Y

Comment

I agree totally with Rolf.... Have FUN! If you have fun your enthusiasm transfers into enjoyment for everyone. I cannot wait for our county and state to open up fairs and demos (when it's safe). I miss the interactions with people so much.
              Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Glade Fade, interesting video. Thanks for the link.
                Rolf

Comment

Thanx all for some great information. Although my approach to demo will be slightly different than that of selling you all gave me plenty to think about, especially the videos. Now on to the next phase of trying to figure out how I want to display my examples.
                  Bruce
                  . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
                  visit sometime
                  Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

I found having a 1/2 done cutting and samples of the blades is always good for a talking point to answer the " How did you do that".. explaining the how is what I miss buy selling on consignment.. even thought I have switched to shelf liner.. easier to show them with the blue tape.. Just explaining things will keep you busy all day.. enjoy it..
                    The other John A. Nelson
                    johnsworkshop.com
                    sigpic
                    I just follow the lines and make sawdust
                    on a Seyco ST-21 and a Yellow DW788

Comment

Samples of fretwork, a sample of a simple segmentation from flat with pattern, cut into the pieces (like a puzzle) then one with a few of the pieces shaped, and on of the final piece, It shows the process similar to Intarsia. If you have a Intarsia piece it would be nice as a comparison.
                      The same with the fretwork. wood with pattern and drilled, then the finished piece.
                      Rolf

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                        Reply to Need any wood?
                        by will8989
                        Figured it out. The photos were Live and I had to edit them. As you can see, we were quite lucky they didn’t come crashing down in a storm. The last picture was a 2 trunk tree. My son already split a truck load today.

Next project, the roofer next week. Yippee....
                        Yesterday, 08:56 PM
                      • handibunny
                        Reply to Need any wood?
                        by handibunny
                        Betty, I just tried a test, using a standard jpeg file. I clicked "upload attachments", then selected the photo I wanted to upload, then double clicked the photo, and it uploaded without a problem. Go figure!
                        Yesterday, 12:07 PM
                      • will8989
                        Reply to Need any wood?
                        by will8989
                        When I try to upload pictures, why is there an X next to upload attachments? I hate computers.
                        Yesterday, 09:14 AM
                      • will8989
                        Reply to Need any wood?
                        by will8989
                        Here’s the pics. Or not. Won’t let me upload. Will try in the morning.
                        04-19-2021, 09:53 PM
                      • will8989
                        Need any wood?
                        by will8989
                        we had to have 2 trees taken down over the weekend. As you can see by the centers, Mother Nature was close to dropping them on our house, shed and truck. When he made the first cut the one directly behind our bedroom, it hit the ground and exploded. The one behind the shed was 100’ feet tall and had...
                        04-19-2021, 09:34 PM
                      Working...
                      X