Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blades

What are the sharpest smoothest cutting blades for scroll saws

Wow, that is a loaded question! You will get a lot of opinions, but the best answer is the ones that work for you. My suggestion is to order or buy several types and sizes and brands, and use what works for you. I would suggest you not buy the generic blades you find in local hardware stores. The top brands available online and in woodworking stores are: Flying Dutchman, Olson, Pegas and Niqua.
    I'm not necessarily recommending any blade but I use Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse blades in sizes 1 to 9 and Olson reverse tooth blades in sizes 0/2 to 5.
    Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

I totally agree with Dan (dgman). I prefer Flying Dutchmans for most things, but I know others who absolutely swear by other top brands, and almost everyone go thumbs down on generics after trying the name brands---and the price difference is next to nothing if you know where to buy. Some suppliers used to provide a few free samples because they were so sure you'd fall in love with their quality. Do a search on this forum for blades and you'll see many debates on this hot topic.
      Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

I think the sharpest and fastest cutting is the PS Woods Super Sharps. BUT they are the most expensive I have found at about $10 per dozen. I tried them and are amazing but too expensive for me.

Comment

I swore by Flying Dutchman when I started, but the offset when using a #3 and smaller gave me troubles. I tried Pegas Modified Geometry and never looked back. Little to no sideways drift and sharp.

But as said, try several and see what works for you
          Jim
          Texas - The Republic
          With the exception of hand guns and Tequila, computers have caused more problems than anything else

Comment

I once was a Flying Dutchman fan but now use Pegas MGT almost exclusively. Nothing wrong with FD but I find the Pegas sharper and a bit more aggressive which I like. I do keep some FD blades around but mostly the small sizes like their puzzle blades and 2/0 spirals. As Dan and Linda said you really need to try different ones and see what works best for you. I have been an avid scroller for 20+ years and I can tell you there is no such thing as a one size fits all in scrollsaw blades. This goes for size, style blades (spiral, reverse tooth, skip tooth, etc) and brands. The blade is determined by what you are cutting and the wood (type and thickness). For example I would not use a spiral or any #3 or smaller blades to cut a 1"+ compound cut project just like I would not use a #3 or larger blade to cut a single piece of 1/8" wood.

I hope that helped.
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X