Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blades

What is the best blade to cut 1 1/2" wood

I stack 3 pieces of 1/2" birch plywood for some of me projects.
    Thanks

Comment

My preference would be Flying Dutchman #5, as it could handle it if you needed some tighter turns---and going to a #7 or #9 if doing a lot of straighter cuts. Plywood does dull blades a bit faster though, no matter the blade brand choice. The best blade is kinda a broad question---every brand works a bit better or worse for each person depending on the saw, tension, wood, feed rate, and experience of the scroller.
      Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

I have been cutting a lot of 1 1/2 hardwood for mini birdhouses and my go to blade in the Flying Dutchman UR-5 as I like the finish it gives.
        For some real hard woods like cherry and hard maple I have had better luck with the FD polar bladed #5.

I had some cherry that was burning so I tried the Pegas MGT #5 and it worked great. Not a fan of the MGT but in this case worked well. Had to buy some more from Denny.

Sometimes you just have to experiment.

Also, I wrap my hardwood with box tape and it helps a lot.
        Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

It really depends. I typically limit my stack cutting to 1" or less. The only 1 1/2" cutting I do is for compound cut projects. For those I prefer a #5 or #7 skip tooth blade. I do not like a reverse tooth blade for these because the reverse teeth does not clear away all the saw dust from the kerf. Since you are stack cutting a skip tooth might not be best as the skip tooth will create more tear out on the back side than a reverse tooth.
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I have grown to like the Pegas brand MGT blades . for this thickness the blade number varies from brand to brand, The TPI (teeth per inch) is more important the Pegas 5 is 11.3 and the 7 is 10.4 TPI.

I also the Olson Mach series the #7 has 8 TPI and really works great on thick wood.
            And as has been said the plywood is a blade killer.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thank ya'll for your help on the Blade questions.

Comment

I cut 1 1/2" pine (solid) when making toys. I use an Olsen #7 blade (precision ground). It out lasts others I have tried including Flying Dutchman blades..
                Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
                "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X