Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farmers market "survey"

Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
    I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
    For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:
    White or black artists/canopy style tents no bigger than 10x10 per spot.
    $300 initial application fee per year.
    10% of all gross sales paid to them each day.
    Proof of 2 million dollars liability insurance coverage naming them on the liability coverage with me.

The majority of my sales were for custom orders, but covid crimped that a lot.
    Maybe I just need to get past the sticker shock and raise my prices substantially to do it.
    Or maybe these requirements aren't the norm and I need to be willing to travel further then the 30mile radius I was looking.
    What's your norm?
    Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

The fees here in Lubbock Texas are $45 per year plus $15 per 10' x 10' space each Saturday that I show up. . Crafters are limited to number and type (to avoid duplication, competition) Any kind of set up allowed, meaning, tent or truck or trailer. No insurance requirements, just a sellers permit from the state to collect sales tax. Sales were so bad this year because of poor attendance by shoppers. The virus scare has many afraid to go out of their homes I think. Because of this I stopped going there the past two months. I have been doing this venue for 9 years. 35-50 vendors at this market.https://www.facebook.com/LubbockDowntownFarmer's Market/?
    Last edited by Jim Finn; 10-20-2020, 06:14 PM.
    Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
    "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called for a fill in cost is $15. The only fee is $10 per person to join the market per year. You also have to do some sort “job”. Bruce helps with clean up in spring and I “volunteered” for the holiday fare. Of course, I had to have Santa Claus, Free cookies, crafts for the kids and an amazing group of singers. I have 4 volunteers to help. This year Santa was supposed to come on a fire truck but that won’t happen. I wanted to get reindeer last year but the board said no. Darn!
      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that had a % of sales commission.

And unless that market had a reliable attendance over 1,000 per day I would never pay a membership fee either, and then I would have to think about it long and hard.

Cost is the issue to me, insurance cost, plus 300 membership, plus 10% is a bunch to have to recoup to break even.

Good luck

Jim
        Texas - The Republic
        With the exception of hand guns and Tequila, computers have caused more problems than anything else

Comment

This market is run a little different than most. All monies collected go back into the market. Each month they put on a different event to draw in people. The budget is usually $600 in the busy months. The pavilion is well maintained with sides that pull down in the colder months. The only time Sunday winter market is cancelled is when the county needs the property to dump plowed snow from the streets of Annapolis! All my shows require insurance and a sales tax number. I do one show a year that requires a percentage. It is at the county park where Bruce volunteers at the sawmill. The fee 15% and it is the only fee to do the show. The money stays at the park. It is a well kept park, 600 acres donated to the county to be kept as a working farm and open space. 4H uses the facilities, they have a woodshop, blacksmith, garden plots for people to plant, miles of trails and they just finished a state of the art $1,000,000 playground! The attendance at the yearly fall fest is 10,000 on a sunny day.
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Sounds like a great market area, I see you are on night shift again, RJ
            Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

I am on any shift except sleep! Bruce is limited as to what he can do so I have to make up for it. Since we won’t be having a lot of cardholders that is freeing me up to do other things, which I am really enjoying. I do take a lunch break, which usually includes 20 or so minute nap. And when I sit in the lazy boy at night I seem to lose 30-60 minutes. And now I have to get my walk in before dark so it makes for a busy day. Good thing I stocked the freezer with premade meals! That has been a life saver.
              Betty

Comment

Linda while I have only done one farmers market, I have done community and other events. What they want in your area is way way too much in my opinion. To me they are way too proud.
                Scott
                Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X